Author Topic: Multiple Layers are the Key to Warmth  (Read 8046 times)

Rusticman

Multiple Layers are the Key to Warmth
« on: Jan 16, 2003, 06:24 AM »
Hi,

If your reading this you no doubt have been cold while out on the ice. Here's how I stay warm.

****The Layer System****

1) Regular longJohns (tops & bottoms) Two pair of Socks

2) Sweat pants & Long sleve Tee Shirt

3) Heavy Sweat Shirt

4) Hooded Sweat Shirt with Zippered front and Pockets

5) Insulated Bib Overall Pants & Insulated Jacket

6) Thinsulate Gloves & Knited wool Watch Cap

Wearing all this stuff is not enough, you have put it on the right way!!!

Start with a pair of long cotton socks, put the longjohn bottoms on next. Make shure the socks stay under the longjohns.

Put on the longjohn top and tuck it into the bottoms, Pull on the second pair of socks over top of the longjohns.

Put on the sweat pants, then the long sleve tee and tuck it into the sweat pants, pull on the sweat shirt.

Next comes the Bib overalls, then your boots.

Last is the hooded sweat shirt and your jacket, wool cap and gloves.

If you've read this far your thinking boy this guy goes through a lot of work just to go out in the cold. Your right I do. It takes about 15 minutes but it is worth it!!!!  

Thinsulate insulation is the best sutff ever made it lite and stays warm even is you sweat, better than the old heavy wool clothes use to.

Jim the Rusticman

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Multiple Layers are the Key to Warmth
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2003, 07:01 AM »
Get rid of that cotton. Try some polypropylene for your base layer. Get rid of the sweats and get a set of the military type polypropylene long johns. The sweat pants, sweat shirt, cotton socks and  cotton long johns all will retain moisture and keep it next to your skin.

Try polypropylene sock liners and long johns for your base layer. Then wool socks, bibs, and shirt. Then a good goretex or windproof jacket and bibs. You will find you have less bulk and less layers required.

RSQCAL

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2003, 07:37 AM »
;) Gotta agree with Hard H2O, Can't beat poly against the skin. Your body releases moisture even when your cold and shivering (part of matabolism). To stay warm you got to get it away from your skin. Poly works great at wicking. Cotton feels good but is a big no-no for extremly cold weather.  :'( :'(

Rusticman

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2003, 10:22 AM »
I do use Poly as the first layer. I got so caught up in writing the post I forgot to put that in. Thanks for the correction.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2003, 06:50 AM »
I wear all that junk and I still freeze to death >:(......gotta bring a porta-heater and a second flask :o with me the next time :'( :'( :'(

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2003, 09:03 AM »
Booze will not keep you warm.

rgfixit

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2003, 02:28 PM »
Either go drinking or go fishing...cold and alcohol don't mix!

(By the way I'm all for either)

Layers:
feet-silver liners, polyprop. liners, heavy wool boot socks, Cabelas Trans-Alaska Iditarod boots

lower body-poly prop. long johns, fleece pants (Old Navy...cheap), lined nylon shell pants(Wal-Mart), insulated nylon bibs

Upper body- polyprop.under, polyester heavy sweatshirt with a collar, fleece pullover (old navy...cheap), insulated nylon liner jacket and nylon outer shell with insulated hood (The basic 3 pc. parka i.e.bibs/jacket/shell

Head-Columbia nylon /fleece lined hat (the one that looks like doggy ears) I add a fleece hood if it's really cold

Hands-wool/thinsulate fingerless for fishing/ heavy nylon /thinsulate ski gloves for traveling...I take a couple of extra pairs of wool and a pair of rubber coated wool gloves so I always have dry gloves for fishing ( don't forget a towel to dry your hands)
I use disposable heat packs in my gloves and even a solid fuel stick handwarmer when it gets COOOOLD!

Cotton is a No  No!

I spent my youth Ice Climbing all over the North East and learned some things about staying warm...

The keys are;
*Get rid of the moisture next to the skin ( Polyprop)
*Insulate with loose layers that trap air (Fleece)
*Stop the wind and water at the surface(Nylon outer layer)

Hope this helps keep you warm.

RGFIXIT

Offline richd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2003, 05:36 AM »
I agree with  rgfixt. I just started ice fishing [ actually yesterday] so I do not yet know squat about the sport. However like rgfixit I do know about the cold from backpacking and cross country skiing. Cold is cold is cold no mattter what the sport. Stick with layers and stay away from cotton. The key is use wicking material to stay dry. Layers to trap air and a shell [clothes and or a shack which I love] to keep off the wind. I didnt catch any fish but I had a blast.By the way a heater is real nice. I had a coleman Buddy which worked great. Wear layers and you can shed some clothes and still be warm

Offline GILLCRAZY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2003, 06:49 AM »
DRY:Always dry your boot liners after use. Dry clothing is a must.
LOOSE: Large, loose fitting boots, loose layers. Snug slows bolld flow and you get cold.
LAYERS: Boots, Clothing, layers and add or remove as needed.

I buy the larger handwarmers at Fleet Farm. One in left pocket for barehane and one in big mitt on right pole holding hand. These warmers are about 69 cents each and last 12 hours. DOn't throw them away after 5 or 6 hours use. Put them in a ziplock bag, seal across until just a small opening in the corner, suck the air out and seal as you do so. The rest of the 12 hours will be sealed until tomorrow or two weeks from now. Been doing this for 10 years and saves money and trips to Fleet!
GILLCRAZY

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Multiple Layers are the Key to Warmth
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2003, 07:15 AM »
I agree having quality long johns is the key.  What are some opinions about polypropylene vs. Heavy weight silk long johns. :D
Thanks
Big W

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2003, 09:13 AM »
In the cold Cotton Kills get rid of it! Polly or wool. for the first layer
Cold Feet

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:12 AM »
No matter what you wear, you have to keep the furnace full to burn hot.  Don't forget the food.  

And ditch the cigs, you thin your blood with the extra CO and it is harder to stay warm.

"Feet cold?  Put on a hat."
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2004, 06:06 PM »
I started wearing the Under Armour cold weather gear as a base layer under my LL Bean union suit and warmth is never a question.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2004, 04:02 PM »
You guys are right about the clothes, but in colorado where the wind averages 30 mph or even greater on most of our lakes, you almost have to have a shelter to stay warm.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2004, 12:15 PM »
Here is my system I'm trying for this year...

Webfoots Body Sock (Polarstrech fleece long underwear.)
Merino wool socks
Polartech 200 fleece pants
Polartech 200 fleece vest (half zip)
Polartech fleece jacket (full zip)
Sorel Downpour jacket (Wind and water proof)
Sorel Downpour pants (Wind and water proof)
Cabela's Glacier Point Pac Boots
Fleece hat with built in face cover if necessary
Goretex mitts

Now we just need some ice here in central MA

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2005, 06:22 AM »
I agree that layers are a superb way to stay warm, but I found something that is the cats ass to keep you warm. Some of you may have heard of a company called Arctic Shield. They sell outer garments (jackets, pants, bibs), undergarments, gloves and all sorts of good stuff. This stuff is really light weight and it is pretty spendy. Arctic Shield has a new technology called RE-tain. Up until now, all wearing layers will do for you is slow your loss of body heat. Obviously if you are fairly active and moving around alot, you generate new body heat which again will slowly be lost when you sit still. Plus you run the risk of overheating and sweating which is not conducive to staying warm. For people that sit idle for long periods of time, like jigging or sitting on a deer stand or in a duck blind, this stuff is incredible. The RE-tain technology is waterproof, windproof, breathes and has superior moisture wicking properties. But the best part is that it does not slow heat loss. It actually reflects up to 97% of your natural body heat by capturing body heat and returning it to the body. I was a little skeptical myself but I am in love with this stuff. It even has scent control properties like some of the high dollar scent control hunting clothes. Go to there site at www.arcticshield.com and check it out.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Basshuntah

« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:29 PM »
The layer system is for fools, go naked! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.