Author Topic: Marcum MX-7 GPS  (Read 10163 times)

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum MX-7 GPS
« on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:42 PM »
How come it’s hard to find any info on the new MX-7? I can’t find any reviews, YouTube videos or anything on it.
Anyone have any info or links on it?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum MX-7 GPS
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Because it's new.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2020, 10:41 AM »
The IDO guys/In-Depth Outdoors use a lot of Marcum products ..they start filming at first ice and put the video right out that same week ..so if this unit is the new it girl expect them to have first hand knowledge and video or two to boot . They did not use ,as best I can recall, any version of the RT-9 debacle .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:02 AM »
I bought one first thing.   The gps is main reason i switched from lx7.  Nice unit,  the bag is way upgraded with zippers and a handle that doesn't want to throw the unit out when you carry it.   This is for the non shuttle one.   Display is very similar to lx7, but on the screen of a helix 7.  It is nice for me to have the windows a bit wider but i only use graphing,  not flasher mode.   Navigating the options takes some getting used to as well,  but not bad.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2020, 11:11 AM »
It was released a month ago. I figured there would be more info on it out there.

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2020, 12:22 PM »
I could be wrong, but I thought IDO switched sponsers from Marcum to Humminbird?  Last season they were already talking about how great the Humminbirds were!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2020, 12:29 PM »
I could be wrong, but I thought IDO switched sponsers from Marcum to Humminbird?  Last season they were already talking about how great the Humminbirds were!!
x2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2020, 12:45 PM »

You are correct.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2020, 12:54 PM »

Looks like their open water videos have some Hummingbird on the boat ...I must not have watched the last ice video of the 2019/2020 season ..Hummingbird galore . Now I wonder what scouting camera they may use this season
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2020, 01:21 PM »
I'd guess Aquavu

I bet there are more reports on the new mx-7 once they get on the ice

Catchin' Fish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2020, 01:26 PM »
Is Marcum even associated with Rapala/Ice Force any more ? Looks like they are an entity onto themselves .

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Is Marcum even associated with Rapala/Ice Force any more ? Looks like they are an entity onto themselves .

That would make sense if IDO dropped them considering that entire site is one giant Rapala brands infomercial.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2020, 03:31 PM »
I guess my biggest question is did the change anything on the mx7 from the lx7? Or is it just the lx7 with gps added to it?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2020, 01:02 PM »
one difference the lx7 is an 8" screen and the mx-7 is a 7" screen....little confusing
lx7 was 800x600 pixels
mx-7 is 800x480 pixels

btw the mx-7 only has navionics base maps - to get full navionics with HD contours you need to buy the micro sd navionics card

Other than that, same power, same sonar, same screen brightness, same display options, target separation, cone angles, etc.

Catchin' Fish

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2020, 01:04 PM »
Thanks matzilla
I just can’t decide between it and the Helix 7

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2020, 01:49 PM »
Thanks matzilla
I just can’t decide between it and the Helix 7

I'm having the same problem! What is better between the two?

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2020, 02:04 PM »
One difference that can’t be overcome is if you are used to, or like the Lakemaster mapping better, you can only do it on Humminbird.  The Garmin  can only do Navionics.  Maybe not the best reason to pick one over the other, but at least be aware of it.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2020, 02:31 PM »
One difference that can’t be overcome is if you are used to, or like the Lakemaster mapping better, you can only do it on Humminbird.  The Garmin  can only do Navionics.  Maybe not the best reason to pick one over the other, but at least be aware of it.
I have never really used either one very much so no matter what it will be a learning curve. I have used Navionics a little.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2020, 03:02 PM »
I have never really used either one very much so no matter what it will be a learning curve. I have used Navionics a little.

https://webapp.navionics.com/
https://www.humminbird.com/support/chart-lists has a lake list for montana

Catchin' Fish

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2020, 06:50 PM »
The Marcum sounds really neat.  Tempted to buy one to replace my LX-6.  I would get get the Lithium Shuttle one. 

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2020, 02:31 PM »
If im not mistaken either, the MX-7gps has sonar chart live to create your own maps and only need 1 navionics chip to do so. Correct me if I am wrong, doesn't Humminbird require you to buy 2 chips if you want to create your own maps on the helix?

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2020, 01:10 AM »
If im not mistaken either, the MX-7gps has sonar chart live to create your own maps and only need 1 navionics chip to do so. Correct me if I am wrong, doesn't Humminbird require you to buy 2 chips if you want to create your own maps on the helix?
From what I have read you can map on your own on the ice with Humminbird

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2020, 05:40 PM »

marcum you have to buy a navionics chip to make your own maps

Humminbird you do not have to buy anything to make your own maps - it can create maps and store them locally on the head unit. In order to share the map you will have to buy a 0 lines card - to get around this, screen shot your map while you have a micro sd card inserted in the humminbird head unit, it will make an image file which you can do whatever you want with it. This is how I shared this map created with my helix 5

Catchin' Fish

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2020, 12:15 PM »
I don’t have near the knowledge/expertise on these units as some of you guys, so I’m asking for some forgiveness in advance if this is a stupid question, but is the only difference between the MX7GPS and MX7GPSLI is that the “LI” version is the lithium shuttle version and the “non-LI” version isn’t?

If so, does the LI version come with the shuttle?  Also, if this is the case, can someone provide a quick, don’t need to search the entire internet, list of real-world pros/cons of the shuttle?

Thanks!

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2020, 10:29 PM »
I don’t have near the knowledge/expertise on these units as some of you guys, so I’m asking for some forgiveness in advance if this is a stupid question, but is the only difference between the MX7GPS and MX7GPSLI is that the “LI” version is the lithium shuttle version and the “non-LI” version isn’t?

If so, does the LI version come with the shuttle?  Also, if this is the case, can someone provide a quick, don’t need to search the entire internet, list of real-world pros/cons of the shuttle?

Thanks!
Yes LI comes with the shuttle. As far as Pro/con I have never used a shuttle. But the shuttle has spots to mount accessories, pole holders, light and battery gauge. And I think it may be lighter in weight but not positive.

Offline Ranger north

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2020, 07:19 PM »
I just bought the mx7 gos and im having issues with the navionics chip.  I keep getting a message telling me to activate my card on the naviinics website.  I have the navionics + micro SD.  Is there a setting that im not finding?  I also get a message saying to shut the unit off and turn it back on.

Offline Ranger north

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2020, 07:19 PM »
I just bought the mx7 gos and im having issues with the navionics chip.  I keep getting a message telling me to activate my card on the naviinics website.  I have the navionics + micro SD.  Is there a setting that im not finding?  I also get a message saying to shut the unit off and turn it back on.

Offline Jen2651

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2020, 10:40 AM »
I have a quick question for those who have purchase the mx7. I know it came with basic navionics, but according to navionics website, basic has some contours etc. My mx7 literally has angular lakes it doesn't even name. Is this their basic version? Do I HAVE to buy a chip?

Offline Mauk14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2021, 07:12 PM »
I bought an MX-7 GPS about two months ago.  It lasted about two minutes in my basement before it broke - I was going through the menu screens after unboxing it and one of the buttons became stuck and I couldn’t dislodge it.  I returned it and got another one, hoping it was just bad luck with the first model.  Nope.  Took the second one out on the ice this weekend, and about 20 minutes in a button got stuck again and could not be budged, so my second MX-7 GPS will be getting returned and I won’t be giving it a third chance.  Also, as the last poster said, the base maps on it are terrible.  Just blue patches with no contours.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.