The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Keeping shiners for a week or so  (Read 1198 times)

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beer making the world a better place
Keeping shiners for a week or so
« on: Jan 31, 2024, 04:43 PM »
I have some bait that I've been keeping with a bubbler for a week but Im curious if you give them a little
 food and if so what ? Thanks

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Keeping shiners for a week or so
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2024, 05:09 PM »
Unless you have a good filter no, the more food they eat the more they poop.
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2024, 05:13 PM »
Makes sense I just gave them a very  small pinch of fine cornmeal Hopefully it doesn't mess with them I have 2 dozen Thanks for the response

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:14 PM »
You don't have to feed 'em, they stay alive for a lonnnng time without eating. Clean, aerated water is much more important. I had a big tub of chubs I kept from May clear into September. Never fed 'em. Got pretty skinny but only lost mebbe a hand full out of 10 dozen or thereabouts in that time.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:47 PM »
Dont feed them and only swap out half the water a day or every few days depending how dirty it is

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2024, 08:03 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=118602.msg1154075#msg1154075

This should help. I've had bait for a few weeks now with 0 losses...

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2024, 10:22 AM »
I've got about 2 dozen that have been in my basement in a 5 gallon bucket for 2 weeks now. I've been changing the water every 3 days or so when it gets cloudy and starts to stink. They were lazy when I was running a cheap baby bubbles aerator, I bought a better one for 8$ off Amazon and now they zoom around the bucket all day long. Haven't fed them anything and haven't lost a single one. I would give them a pinch of goldfish food if I planned on keeping them much longer.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2024, 11:43 AM »
As long as the water is kept cool/cold, they don't need to be fed much at all.
The key things to consider is that if you feed them, you WILL need to change the water more regularly.
The more they eat, the more they poop, and that will increase the ammonia level of the water.

I use an aquarium filter to help keep the water quality better for longer between changes.

I would use a 5 gallon bucket to keep a couple dozen small/medium shiners, and they would survive for as long as they could (until eaten by a fish under the ice).
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2024, 07:34 AM »
I do it all the time too. I used to trap shiners so I bought an old fish tank, water filter and aerator.

Now I just keep them in a bucket if I know I'll be going again soon, never feed them. Will usually put some ice and slush in the bucket before I leave the pond/lake. At home I'll add some snow into the bucket, then melt some snow (when we have it) in another bucket to keep the clean water going.
Marking anything?

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2024, 07:47 AM »
My response is not about food, but another tip. If you have to keep your shiners in a warm place (basement. etc.), throw a small amount of snow in the bucket with them when you are getting ready to go fishing. Again when you leave and arrive at the lake. If the snow doesn't melt, you have arrived at 32°. You don't want to drop 60° fish into 35° water. Lower the temperature as slowly as possible.

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2024, 04:54 PM »
That's a great tip Thanks

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2024, 01:10 PM »
Depending on your town I'd suggest getting a water dechlorinator or similar water treatment solution they use for pet fish.  I simply swap out a portion of the water in a coleman cooler every couple days but if I don't use the water treatment the new water kills several shiners each change.
westernmas on the finder

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2024, 06:55 PM »
In my large 30 gallon tank I fill 2 5 gallon pails and let them sit for 3 days. Drain out 10 gallons and replace with sitting water. Next to nothing on loss. Only add dechloride if its not been sitting.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:25 AM »
No need to feed them. I keep bait in my garage from November to April. Only time they ate was when In the traps. I've had as many as 30 dozen at times. I have a 110 gallon tuff tank with a pond filter.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:26 AM »
In my large 30 gallon tank I fill 2 5 gallon pails and let them sit for 3 days. Drain out 10 gallons and replace with sitting water. Next to nothing on loss. Only add dechloride if its not been sitting.

X2 on this.  I'm not disciplined enough for this method but agree it does work.  The water treatment is quick and easy.
westernmas on the finder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.