The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Pontoosuc Lake and White perch  (Read 1068 times)

Offline ZLaLonde

• IceShanty Rookie
Pontoosuc Lake and White perch
« on: Jan 31, 2024, 02:41 PM »
Hey guys,

Went out to Pontoosuc today and caught a couple nice Yellow Perch. There’s about 6 inches of good ice out here for those wondering.

Now i was curious as to how the white perch fishing is in here? I tried to find them all day but only managed to land some yellows. Any advice, spots on this pond, or places in MA where I’d have a better chance at catching whites would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me too

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pontoosuc Lake and White perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:33 PM »
Hey guys,

Went out to Pontoosuc today and caught a couple nice Yellow Perch. There’s about 6 inches of good ice out here for those wondering.

Now i was curious as to how the white perch fishing is in here? I tried to find them all day but only managed to land some yellows. Any advice, spots on this pond, or places in MA where I’d have a better chance at catching whites would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me too
As for the lake in question I have no clue, I only target whites on local ponds to me near Lowell and on Winnipesaukee, but you will want to fish the basins for whites, yellow perch prefer shallower flats with weed from 20 to 10ft, white on the other hand act like crappies and stick to 25 to 45ft mostly, on some occasions they will corral bait and push it up into shallower but always near the basin, look for inside turns and funnels up the slope where it would be easy to corral bait, and be on the move, if you don't see something on the flasher within 15 minutes just move, those perch are always on the move and will do rounds around the basins, sometimes is just a matter of being lucky or using some kind of livetargeting sonar unit that you can use to scan around your hole.
If you're around me at any time just hit me up and I can show you some spots and how I target them.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2024, 07:04 PM »
About 38 years ago I fished one night on Pontoosuc from a boat with a light hanging over the side out in deep water and cleaned up on white perch... Not much help for you now, but it brought back some great memories!

Ruimachado's advice is good advice, with low light always a plus.

Offline Sam Gee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2024, 01:51 PM »
Someone told me there were white perch closer to the island, but it was always too far of a walk for me to find out.

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2024, 07:08 PM »
As for the lake in question I have no clue, I only target whites on local ponds to me near Lowell and on Winnipesaukee, but you will want to fish the basins for whites, yellow perch prefer shallower flats with weed from 20 to 10ft, white on the other hand act like crappies and stick to 25 to 45ft mostly, on some occasions they will corral bait and
push it up into shallower but always near the basin, look for inside turns and funnels up the slope where it would be easy to corral bait, and be on the move, if you don't see something on the flasher within 15 minutes just move, those perch are always on the move and will do rounds around the basins, sometimes is just a matter of being lucky or using some kind of livetargeting sonar unit that you can use to scan around your hole.
If you're around me at any time just hit me up and I can show you some spots and how I target them.

I know it’s not your backyard(maybe 1 he from you) but monomanac has some nice white perch, I’ve caught a lot of them bass fishing that lake on tip ups, could only imagine what the bite would be like if I had jigged. Access points are limited though, if my memory serves me right. You may already know all of this info

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2024, 04:43 AM »
This lake is listed as blue -green Alga lake I would not eat fish from this type of lake or swim in it i,n t he summer. You can get a good case of diarrhea for a start.It does not go away durning the winter time.Clear ice still this blue-green alga to bloom at a slower rate.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2024, 12:04 PM »
If anybody is going north for ice they better check out the water for mercury....PCB's. In th e pittsfield area...Goodrichn Pd....Morehead Lake......Silver Lake...Husatonic River system to name a few.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.