The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Request thoughts about retiring the Gas Jiffy Lite  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Request thoughts about retiring the Gas Jiffy Lite
« on: Dec 09, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Team ... any regrets from any of you that retired your Jiffy or other gas auger in favor of the battery.   Last season I used the Rigid/Nils strategy for thinner ice and the Jiffy Lite when it as thicker.   I still love the roar of the Jiffy... but since I joined the AARP ranks the weight of the auger is wearing me down.  Carrying an xtra 4AMP Rigid battery is less taxing than the "Lite"    If I retire the Jiffy ... is there a market for these augers?

As always, thoughts and guidance are appreciated.

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Request thoughts about retiring the Gas Jiffy Lite
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:02 PM »
For What it’s worth, I have 4 gas augers ( don’t ask-there is no reason) The three usedaugers I’ve picked up in the last couple years of all been under $100. Good compression good spark.   

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:04 PM »
I’d just keep using your Rigid/Nils combo through the whole year.  I’m new to electrics, but so far my only regret is going from 10” to 8”.  I’m sure you could sell your Jiffy, but the resale probably isn’t very high.  I’m just gonna fog my Jiffy and hold onto it for a rainy day.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Sold my Jiffy lite many years ago and have not missed it at all. If we lived somewhere that got 30"+ of ice often, then maybe I would miss it.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Time and place for the gas auger.  I think everyone knows I'm a fan of them but my nils/Tanaka is collecting dust and even if the ice is 20" I tend to enjoy using my finbor the old fashioned way.  However I do have a urge to get a Fuel or equivalent drill to par up with my nils...

Just do it.  You will not regret it.  The drill just makes you so much more mobile and likely to keep searching.  Plus you now have a drill around the house.  The weak spot is the adapter.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Love my ion
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 07:52 AM »
I haven't looked back since I sold the Jiffy. I can still see the times when the extra balls are needed but I have been fishing very regularly the last two seasons and the drill has been superb. I popped 25 holes yesterday with a battery that wasn't even fully charged in 7-8 inches of ice, no issues at all. I drill so many more holes when it isn't exhausting to do so. Because of that I find so many more fish per trip.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:26 AM »
I own 3 gas augers and an Ion...the only time I use either of the "modern "  jiffy augers (the other is a 1 armed bandit ) is when I'm feeling nostalgic and miss the snell of gas and smoke...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:43 AM »
I own 3 gas augers and an Ion...the only time I use either of the "modern "  jiffy augers (the other is a 1 armed bandit ) is when I'm feeling nostalgic and miss the snell of gas and smoke...

LOL
Just add water.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:48 AM »
i wonder if you could repurpose the engine? what could one make out of it? boat motor? post hole digger? tree planter? cement mixer?

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:09 AM »
you'll have to pry my 40 year old Eskimo gas auger out of my dead cold hands...
burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:13 AM »
you'll have to pry my 40 year old Eskimo gas auger out of my dead cold hands...
burp

Lenz my man.  If you experience the ease of the drill combo you will know that you have seen the end of an era.  I only use the big ten inch when I'm getting serious about pike, other than that it gathers dust.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Jwise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Love my Propane Auger :)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:54 AM »
since you have ridgid batteries, you might look into their new ridgid octane 1300 inch pound drill released this fall. it is 140$ or free if you buy their 9 amp battery/charger kit for 199$ they give a choice of tool thru the rest of this year and the octane drill is included. it qualifies for their lsa. it's weird for them to cover the warranty for your life time on a free tool, but they are doing it. it should turn a 10 inch auger if you can get your bit to fit it.
the new octane battery has an app and some cool features no other battery offer's. the charger is the same as what you have now.
your current drill will be 750 inch pounds or less.
sell the gaser and have it pay for your upgrades.

Offline Flagrunner85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Made the switch over 2 years ago from a 8” strikemaster to a Milwaukee fuel drill with an 8” auger attached. Have no regrets. No worries about gas issues. Plug in the battery and let it rip. I have drilled through 2ft plus of ice with no issues. Keep the gas auger. It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Sold my gas auger and picked up a fuel and kdrill after using my buddies last year so much more room in the sled and weight wise huge difference used it two outing already and very happy with the switch

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:39 PM »
I went the electric route last year. Milwaukee Drill and Strikemaster Lazer 7". Cut like a hot knife through butter. I'm still keeping my SM Mag 2000 gas auger though. On to it's 11th season. It came in handy on our trip up north to East Grand Lake, ME. The electric battery drained so fast in minus degree not to mention drilling through 25" of ice. Meanwhile, the gas auger fired up  no problem and she ripped through the ice.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:59 PM »
My jiffy 9" was my favorite, and will never sell it, but you honestly can't beat a cordless drill, couple of batteries, and the correct auger. Light weight, quiet, and no smell of gas is what sold me.

It can be any brand auger and drill, but the Milwaukee and 8" kdrill work well together for me, and I use the same drill five days a week at least all year so it multi tasks.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:07 PM »
I just got the ridgid octane and 9ah battery that i expect to get quite a few 8” holes in 8 or less inches of ice no problem.we havent had a real good ice season here where im at in Michigan for almost 6 years or more.6 to 8” of ice for a month is getting normal here.so the drill makes good sense however if we do get a real winter again with 18 to 20” of ice.i will still have my gas or propane auger for that situation even tho the drill could still do it.the jiffys chew up thick ice with ease.

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:55 PM »
Guys thanks for the coaching ... sounds like most of you are pro battery ...pro battery with gas back up and a few gas only nostalgic sages. 

Truth be told... the Jiffy has been like my good friend:  smokes too much, needs a drink to keep going,  is noisy, high maintenance, doesn't run as good as when he was young and getting harder to lift into the truck after a long day on the ice. 

As suggested by 3300 ... will upgrade my to the Rigid Octane and connect it to the Nils.  Seems like the way to go for the AARP class like me.   

But will keep the Jiffy for one more year ... just in case I need to re-live good old days of: noise, smoke, fuel and an awesome upper body workout. 

As always, appreciate your thoughts and commentary and recommendations ...

Best,
Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:30 PM »
here's the best deal for you that wanted the octane drill and battery system.

ridgid's octane 18v 9amp bluetooth battery/charger/hammer drill that is 1300 inch pounds and all components qualify for their life time service agreement is now 179$ to your door using their cart system. the lsa means no more spending on the battery or any parts or repairs. batteries can only be charged so many times before they begin to fade away and need replacing. these octane batteries are the most sophisticated in the portable cordless drill market and have an app you can use with it that is very cool.
the battery sold separate is 184$

the drill on it's own is same price of 149$. the battery/charger is down to 169$. this means you can buy the combo for 169$ if you call hd and order it on the phone.
you should have about 20 days left to get with it. you should be able to go to the stores now that have them in stock and just pay for the battery/charger and get the drill for free like i did when it was 209$ to your door.

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Does anyone here use Dewalt ? I am trapped in Dewalt batteries and chargers. I have a Dewalt drill but doesn’t have the balls for an auger attachment. I hand auger as of now but would like to convert to electric.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:27 PM »
dewalt 996 is what the best dewalt going is for augers. you need big enough batteries too of 4 amps or more. more is better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-XR-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Premium-Brushless-Hammer-Drill-with-2-Batteries-5Ah-Charger-and-Case-DCD996P2/206875596

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:36 PM »
Does anyone here use Dewalt ? I am trapped in Dewalt batteries and chargers. I have a Dewalt drill but doesn’t have the balls for an auger attachment. I hand auger as of now but would like to convert to electric.

I turn a 8" FinBore with a 995 and a 5ah battery.  Works awesome.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:44 PM »

I’m using the DCD996 hammer drill (XR brushless 20v max) attached to a KDrill, I have no issues, yet.  I’m still new to this electric drill/auger combo, but if first impressions hold, I’m probably never going to use my Jiffy ever again.

If you’re still using the older ni-cad 18v system, I strongly suggest updating the drill & batteries to brushless & lithium.  The new stuff is FAR more powerful.  There’s a 20v/18v conversion kit available to still use the older 18v tools with the newer lithium batteries, if you’ve got a crap ton of 18v stuff you don’t want to replace.

Or if you don’t mind jumping ship to a different manufacturer, it seems that the Rigid Octane is the strongest available drill as of now, and it’s reasonably priced to boot, as long as you buy soon anyway.

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I’m using the DCD996 hammer drill (XR brushless 20v max) attached to a KDrill, I have no issues, yet.  I’m still new to this electric drill/auger combo, but if first impressions hold, I’m probably never going to use my Jiffy ever again.

If you’re still using the older ni-cad 18v system, I strongly suggest updating the drill & batteries to brushless & lithium.  The new stuff is FAR more powerful.  There’s a 20v/18v conversion kit available to still use the older 18v tools with the newer lithium batteries, if you’ve got a crap ton of 18v stuff you don’t want to replace.

Or if you don’t mind jumping ship to a different manufacturer, it seems that the Rigid Octane is the strongest available drill as of now, and it’s reasonably priced to boot, as long as you buy soon anyway.

Thanks. I have the 20v max Dewalt set that I bought last year with the house... I might try the octane , as it’s cheaper than the Dewalt drill. Still on the fence anyways right now, might save the money this year and continue with the hand auger. Bought 5 lakers which isn’t cheap, plus I could use the excercise  . Thanks for the help

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Thanks. I have the 20v max Dewalt set that I bought last year with the house... I might try the octane , as it’s cheaper than the Dewalt drill. Still on the fence anyways right now, might save the money this year and continue with the hand auger. Bought 5 lakers which isn’t cheap, plus I could use the excercise  . Thanks for the help

If you’ve already got the 20v batteries, the bare drill runs about $150.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Love my Propane Auger :)

I think me and the propane jiffy are breaking up, she is a heavy girl, going to list it I think and go back to my hand drill

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2018, 04:18 PM »
What are you using for an adapter John?

I have snapped just about every brand out there.  Right now I am running a High Tech but my buddy broke one of those as well.  I am now having one machined up for me out of high tinsel stock.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:08 AM »
Have you tried the Kovac Icemasters?  I broke some other ones, but have 3 of these.  They are made of steel and have held up well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.