The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Goals for 2019  (Read 4588 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Goals for 2019
« Reply #30 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:37 AM »
That's a beauty!  Congratulations.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Nice pike!  Way to kick off the season.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:12 AM »
now what? maybe even a bigger one ;D

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06:46 PM »
Make fish chowder on the ice with the fish i just caught.
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:39 PM »
Get a pike through the ice this season. Check!

that was a great trip to Canada.

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:50 PM »
check mate

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:23 PM »
Get a double digit pike.. check!

Flags up!
Ctown

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #37 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:41 PM »
1) 20+ LB PIKE
2) 7+ LB LARGEMOUTH
3) FISH OUT OF STATE!

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:40 PM »
good timing in the rotation. il get you next time. lol nice catch my brotha

Offline basit325

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:50 PM »
My goal is to get my 6year old son out on the ice and do a youth derby with  his friends for a toy or some sort of prize. He already fishes with me on the ice but I think getting  his friends on the ice will be more enjoyable for him and more work for me lol.
Their is a fine line between fishing and sitting there looking stupid.

Offline Jwelch4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2018, 02:43 AM »
Whole bunch of stuff. Last year was my first season on the ice. Only managed a couple dozen panfish. So for this year...

1. First pike
2. First walleye
3. Watch a fish take a jig on a flasher (never used one before and I have a new fl8 coming on Thursday)
4. First bass through the ice
5. Practice self rescue (no lack of spots to due this as I have to drive for over an hour to find safe ice)
6. Have my First catch and cook on the ice (really looking forward to this, honestly one of my favorite parts of fishing is having the freshest fish in the world)
7. Possibly try for odd species through the ice. (Catfish, carp, may be striper)

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:54 AM »
Gotta take the good with the bad. I also knocked another goal we never want to meet of the list in Sunday, The SKUNK!

Flaga up!
Ctown

Ps:at least the Turkey clubs with herb mayo were off the hook!

Offline Patb41982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Catch a walleye

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Catch a walleye

I didn't get skunked. lol I had the best spot in the rotation this time.

Offline Bignass56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 27, 2018, 06:51 PM »
2019 goal is to step out of comfort zone and put in time and effort to target something other than bass. Would like to try to pull a good size pike thru the ice. Just need to go thru the motions and figure it out 1 mistake at a time lol... goodluck this year every1

Offline Scott64a

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 28, 2018, 09:50 AM »
Long time lurker, first time posting.

My goal this season is to get out with the TUCR UL rod I got for Christmas and do some micro jigging for good sized trout. Not palm rod micro jigging... but UL nonetheless.
My nephew got it for me, and I paired it with an Okuma Ceymar c10 and a bobber wire.

I REALLY want to drop a #18 nymph on a jig hook down and see who is around sipping on bugs... This design is my nephew's own, we call it the "Male Privilege" -and it absolutely slayed on cutthroat in August on a dry dropper rig.

It'd be really fun to show up to a pond known to have big browns in it and offer them something they've never seen... and take a giant one out.
Also, I picked up some 1/32oz tungsten jigs and some micro plastics... they look really wriggly.

I think I'll scout today, just to get out of the damned house for a change.

Now... which line to put on this little C10?

A 4lb. mono? or a 4lb fluoro?
I happen to have some 6lb fluoro around, but I think it's too big for these little jigs.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2018, 09:56 AM »

My goal this season is to get out with the TUCR UL rod I got for Christmas and do some micro jigging for good sized trout. Not palm rod micro jigging... but UL nonetheless.
My nephew got it for me, and I paired it with an Okuma Ceymar c10 and a bobber wire.

I REALLY want to drop a #18 nymph on a jig hook down and see who is around sipping on bugs... This design is my nephew's own, we call it the "Male Privilege" -and it absolutely slayed on cutthroat in August on a dry dropper rig.

It'd be really fun to show up to a pond known to have big browns in it and offer them something they've never seen... and take a giant one out.
Also, I picked up some 1/32oz tungsten jigs and some micro plastics... they look really wriggly.

I happen to have some 6lb fluoro around, but I think it's too big for these little jigs.

The 3lb trilene fluoro was popular on another thread but I don't tend to use line that small.  Most of my reels are spooled w 6lb fluoroclear.  It can ice up a bit in colder weather but is great in the shanty.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #47 on: Dec 28, 2018, 10:20 AM »

The thinner the line the faster your jig/fly will get back down to the strike zone. Your line will also not coil as much if you go with 3lb test over 6lb when using such light jigs and flies which in turn means a straighter fishing line from the end of your reel to the rod tip and from rod tip all the way to the jig. This is important because you will not have any "delay" in seeing a bite due to slack in your line. If they are super aggressive and you are fishing shallow, no issue but this can make a huge difference when the bite is off or you are in deep water. For what you are doing, I would go with 2lb or 3lb fluoro and 4lb as the heaviest. Hope this helps.
Just add water.

Offline Scott64a

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Good suggestions, and good info. Thanks.

I'm going with .007" dia. 4lb fluoro, since most of the waters I hit aren't particularly deep, (say, over 50ft.,) and there is always the chance a fat bass or trout will smash that little jig and run with it.
Getting excited to be back out, I have to admit...

:)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 28, 2018, 03:20 PM »
My goal is the same each year...to catch as much as I can using whatever tactics and techniques I employ, and to hopefully get someone new out to see why I love it so much!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.