Author Topic: Home Made Portables  (Read 39555 times)

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
Home Made Portables
« on: Oct 26, 2010, 04:09 PM »
If you have one post a picture of it. (plywood shacks that fold up, with canvas walls)

Im going to be building one in about a week, just need a few ideas.

Would you do anything different to the way you built it?          thinner plywood? bigger runners? esc....

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Home Made Portables
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2010, 06:15 PM »
My Dad built me a tar paper shack in 6 sections with hooks and eyes ,when I was a kid. It held up great. Carried it out on an old flexible flyer.
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2010, 01:11 AM »
      1/2" ply wood end walls and floor.Tarp from home depot. works great except its heavy. Made skis that swing or drop down so it raises up off the ice 12" makes it pull 1/2 as easy

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2010, 01:21 AM »
here is a idea for you,found this on the internet and had to save it. Hard to sight fish in it but the view is priceless ;D  fish in the shag carpet in your socks!

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2010, 04:47 PM »
(Image removed from quote.) here is a idea for you,found this on the internet and had to save it. Hard to sight fish in it but the view is priceless ;D  fish in the shag carpet in your socks!
Thats a good idea. If you made it a little smaller it would make a good 1 man shack. cut a hole in the point and make the door behind you.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline hrlyridr77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2010, 02:33 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)      1/2" ply wood end walls and floor.Tarp from home depot. works great except its heavy. Made skis that swing or drop down so it raises up off the ice 12" makes it pull 1/2 as easy

I'm building one like this - a Cabelas model, previous to the current hub style - plywood floor, but canvas all around. I should have it done by first ice....
Gotta rig a strap setup to mount it to my JetSled...

:tipup:
Sometimes it's not about the fish, but about the fishin'

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:04 AM »
When I built mine, I put the hinges on the end wall that folds down last about four inches higher than the hinges on the other end. This way the shack will lay flat when folded instead of one end sticking up. The reason for this was that I built a box to enclose it in on my trailer and didn't want one end higher than the other. Post some pictures when you are done.  :tipup:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:21 AM »
check out the hut behind the clear plastic one!!!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2010, 06:47 PM »
think ya would have to behave   and not throw things   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2010, 07:02 PM »
The clear one looks like the material my uncle-in-law has on his cabin porch. It's a flexible, durable, and elastic. You can push your finger into it and it springs back. Cool stuff. It would be neat for a view but you wouldn't get much heat from the sun and sometimes I like to have the dark.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:37 AM »

This folding shanty is a 2 man, 4 hole 4' x 6'. Using 3/4" foam and 1/8" plywood. It set's up in 25 seconds and you stay very warm with a small heater.
Beeler   

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:03 AM »
very nice!   but that door threashold would be a killer for me!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jvanhees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2011, 02:44 PM »
thats awesome beeler, how much does it weigh?
Ducks Unlimited - Huron Valley Chapter

Offline Beeler

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:16 PM »
The weight is about 150-160 lbs. I can load it in my Ford Ranger by myself. Place one end on the tail gate and pick the other end up and slide it in. I keep most of my gear inside. It's nice you don't have to load and unload gear to move. The other day my wife and I were fishing and we wanted to move to a different spot and we left the shanty setup and tied a rope on the shanty and to the truck and pulled it. This shanty makes ice fishing a delight to fish. It's light weight, warm inside with a Buddy Heater on low and folds up in 25 seconds.  

Beeler  

Offline Beeler

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:25 PM »
very nice!   but that door threashold would be a killer for me!
It's really not that bad. The next one I build will have a full door. That way if I need to slide something inside the bottom part of the door will be able to open.  

Beeler   

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Mine is really more of a windbreak than a portable, but it's very portable. Just to get the motivation flowing for you.

It's a simple plywood box sled...:

... that has wood panels for sides and a roof, which makes a great one man wind break:

The whole sled might weigh 40lbs if I had to guess. In the box are spots for my hand auger, traps, bait and even a small cooler, stove, gear...:

The top is two panels, the front one you sit on, the back one is the support for the two panels. Once the roof is secured with two small cotter pins, all you need to do is remove the two pins at the bottom and you can fold the entire windbreak back on the ice to access the front compartment:

I need to get updated pics of the new ski/sled compartment on the bottom. All the panels go under the box when in transit so my auger and other gear can be strapped to the top. I'm real happy with it. I'm thinking of making a sailcloth cover to pull over the front to make it a fully enclosed shelter. Stay tuned...
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:47 PM »
here is a idea for you,found this on the internet and had to save it. Hard to sight fish in it but the view is priceless ;D  fish in the shag carpet in your socks!

...Where do you pee? ::) Out behind the clear shack?  ???
Nick

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:52 AM »
...Where do you pee? ::) Out behind the clear shack?  ???
Nick
Ha! good question. Run behind your neighbor I guess, Hope he dont open a window flap..... ;D

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Standard Ontario style.  Works well

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2011, 09:09 PM »
I met a guy a couple weeks ago that built a portable. I didn't get too close a look at it though.

It seemed to be a pvc frame that could be disassembled quickly. And he had a tarp that was formed to fit neatly over the top of it. It all fit into one sled to pull on the ice.

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:37 AM »
was just lookin at the "glass house" and think i might do a triangle type like that for next year.  got a boat trailer for it already. not glass though but it looks roomy enough in there.
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.