Author Topic: tent as ice shelter  (Read 2437 times)

kingboy3030

tent as ice shelter
« on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:06 PM »
has anyone used a regular camping tent as an ice shelter.  i've got several that i don't use and wouldn't mind putting them to some use on the ice.

thanks

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:tent as ice shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:08 PM »
I have thought about it before but never have tried it.  if you try it let us know how it works if it stays warm.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:08 PM »
I've thought about it alot. A pop-up tent would be great. Just toss it, and it opens up. Then anchor it down. You can open it right in your living room, cut the holes and re-enforce them, all without leaving the house.

-Zach

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:15 PM »
Do you want to use them as a permanent or  as
a portable shelter? For a portable I guess it will
take too much time to set it up and pack.
They maybe also too light and wind will blow
them away too easily.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:19 PM »
there's a bunch of guy's up here that use regular tents.........park the trucks around in a semi-circle as a wind break........very mobile cheap way of doing it i suppose.....only problem i see is right now it's -11 and  -35 wind chill....i cant see any heater keeping up with that
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2004, 05:13 AM »
I have a hunting blind that I don't use for hunting. I thought it would be a good investment, but I used it a few times and I can't hear very well when I am in it. It has a zip out floor that I thought would be good for ice fishing. It goes up and down in about 10 seconds. I ended up getting a Frabill flip style shanty instead. Don't have any reason why except the frabill has a sled and seats and the blind doesn't. As far as a regular tent is concerned, if it is like my camping tent with all the poles and stuff it would be very frustrating to me.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2004, 07:31 AM »
It would probably work, but I bet if the wind really got going you it might be in trouble.
We got a huge tarp one year and made a framework out of conduit. We brought a portable drill on the ice, drilled holes, set the conduit in the ice, and wrapped the tarp over the whole thing. It worked awesome. The only drawback was that the floor was still the surface of the ice. Once it got super warm in there it made things a little slick underfoot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.