Author Topic: Problim Fish  (Read 1227 times)

raleigh

Problim Fish
« on: Jan 28, 2004, 07:10 PM »
They have been taking the chanel Cats out of the Colorado River now for about 7 or 8 mounts to save the Colorado Pike Minnow (squaw fish ). Now the dow decided that they are gonna leave the cats alone for now and switch there efforts to takeing small mouth bass out insted. They said that they are causing a bigger problim twords the squaw fish than the cats are. What do you people think would be the bigger problim fish ?

fishguts.

Re:Problim Fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2004, 07:30 PM »
heck i don't know what a squa fish is but i do know the other two are great to catch, heck id leave them alone.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2004, 05:42 AM »
I thought I heard back in college (fisheries class) that the Squaw Fish was a problum due to it eating all the trout they were stocking out there?
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2004, 01:39 PM »
Heck they have a bounty on squa fish in the columbia...those minnows must make for some good eating and some fun catching :P.  i think that if they want to remove fish, just higher limits and let the fishermen do the removing.  Or just let the sqaw fish alone.  Only makes sence to me...(in the colorado that is)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Neither
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2004, 11:41 PM »
The presence of non native fish is not the reason for the demise of the endangereds. The Colorado River is dammed in it's lower reaches for electricity, flood control, and navigation. The dams flood and block spawning habitat, and also make the river colder and better suited to gamefish. The Colorado also doesn't even carry hardly any water to the ocean because of California's Imperial Valley, which diverts nearly all the water out of it to irrigate a fertile region but an area which may go a decade without rain.
Think of it, the Colorado is a massive river, bigger than any in North America except the Mississippi and Columbia.
No endangered, non game fish is worth sacrificing sport fish for. These fish are doomed to extinction due to habitat change. The really bad thing is the US Fish and Wildlife is a tyrant organization. Nearly 100% of the region hates them for what they are doing. This is America, not Nazi Germany dammit. They have no right to do it.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

grumpymoe

Re: Problim Fish
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2004, 07:30 AM »
cant beat human intervention to really screw things up. regardless of what action they decide to take, its already too late. what everyone has to do now, is sit back and wait for mother nature to let us know. grumpy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.