Author Topic: FL-18 Questions  (Read 2752 times)

Offline cmsekora

• IceShanty Rookie
FL-18 Questions
« on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:35 AM »
I was considering buying a a FL-18 but need some advice first.  I don't get to ice fish every week so is it worth the money?  If it will eliminate time wasted trying to find active fish, then it will make my few trips more productive.  Second, the rest of the year, I fish off of a boat. Would I be able to rig the Vex up on my boat?  If so, has anybody tried it and how did it work.  If you had some gift certificates and you were considering using them on an FL-18, Aqua-Vu, or an Ice Shanty, which one would you buy and why?  I am pretty close to eliminating the Shanty because I can't use it year round, but am still considering it.  The Aqua-Vu I know can be used year round but don't know if it is worth it.  The Vex seems to be a popular item. Thanks in advance.

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
Re:FL-18 Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:00 AM »
I would have to say SHANTY first.  Yeah you will catch more fish with the flasher, but you will catch ALOT less fish if it is so miserable that you can't stand to be on the lake.  As long as you stay portable and mobile, (and warm and dry) you will find fish.  Then later invest in the flasher, than the Vu....
Just my .02....
Mike

Oh yeah you can rig up the flasher to your boat, they sell a kit for that...
have a CRAPPIE day!!

fishmann

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:11 AM »
I'd vote for the Vexi. I have a portable house that I have only used three times this year, but my Vexi has been out with me every time, probably 15-20 times out this winter. I like to be able to pick up and move in one minute if the mood strikes me, and if you can find active fish with the Vexi, you'd be surprised how warm you can stay by just catching fish. And yes, the Vexi can be easily adapted to your boat. Check here:

http://www.vexilar.com/help/tips/tip007.html

I've never used the Aqua Vu, I'm sure it's fun and a good tool, but I think the Vexi would get more use year round and be a more versitle tool. JMHO, YMMV.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:18 AM »
this is the wrong site to ask that!!! yes yes yes if you onley get out 5 times a year this will help them be great trips and it makes it so much fun.
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:35 AM »
You can’t go wrong buying a portable Eagle Cuda 128 for around $100.00 and a Clam Fish Trap Scout for around $200.00.  You’ll probably still end up with $$$ in your pocket.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:45 AM »
If your going cheap a zercom real time flasher new e-bay  35 bucks.Big pockets vex18
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2004, 11:33 AM »
I would buy a sonar first. Not necessarily FL-18 though.
A lot of much less expensive sonars will do just fine.

Gillshaker

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2004, 12:09 PM »
I bought the Lowrance Ice Machine cuz I wanted to use in on my boat, too.  Its got a great flasher...in my opinion its easier on the eyes than the Vexilar.  Also has GPS, which may be overkill, but its really handy to get back to the right spot on the ice.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2004, 04:09 PM »
 yes get a flasher since you only get out a few times, it will make those few times rewarding. Also after you fish over a flasher you will find more time to get out. And dont forget the old saying you get what you pay for!! Vexilar all the way.

Offline racepoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2004, 05:59 PM »
I'd get the flasher first........ and in my opinion, I'd go with the FL-8 unless you plan to always fish really deep.  I almost never use the zoom on my  FL-18.  And the FL-8 is about $100 cheaper.
Hey Jake!  Flag Up !!  (LMAO)

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:10 PM »
I have an FL-18 and a 3 man flip up shanty. I have used the zoom on the Vex every time I have ice fished with it. It has increased my catch rate dramatically. I don't use the shanty every time but I do use the Vex. IMO it is a very valuable tool and worth every penny. I also use it in the open water in my boat. I bought a wiring kit from Vexilar with the puck transducer for about 80 bucks and I can either wire it to my trolling motor or glue the puck in the stern. I chose to glue the puck inside my stern since I have an LCD in the bow with my troller. I don't use the zoom in open water very much, but the bottom lock feature of the FL 18 is great for open water. Buy one, you won't be sorry. As far as the camera is concerned I had one of those too and I sold it. It is great for entertianing the kids, but as a fishing tool I found it to be lacking. I fish river systems primarialy and I found the camera didn't work as well because of the water conditions. In clear lakes it was ok. I would choose the VEX hands down. Brian

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2004, 08:53 PM »
Id spend the extra money and buy the FL 18 if you perch and walleye fish. The zoom feature is very good, i use it everytime! It helps give you a much cleaner picture of whats going on in the bottom 6 feet of water, the other side will display the entire water column, so you dont miss out any thing! It will up your odds, and teach you alot , like how fish are reacting to your presentation and baits. Once you fish with one, youll be hooked and amazed! I have no regrets buying one, would take it over an aqua view anyday!

Offline fisherman261

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:06 PM »
I bought the 18 over the 8.  I wasn't sure if that was the best choice, but after using it a few times, I'm VERY glad I went with the 18.  Like others said, the zoom is very nice.  I use it everytime I go out.

Hermey

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:30 PM »
Gillshaker,

What can you tell me about the Lowrance Ice Machine?  Is the flasher mode instantaneous (real time) like it is on the Vex?  Do you ever use the graph for ice fishing?  If so, how is it?

I'm interested in the Ice Machine, because as you pointed out, it looks like it will work well on a boat.  However, if the Vex is far superior on the ice, maybe I need two separate units.

Offline quickflip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2004, 09:58 PM »
That's a tough 1.  When it's real cold, that shanty and a Mr. Buddy Heater can't be beat.  I purchased a 1 man portable shanty but between the 2, I would get the fl-18.  

I wouldn't go ice fishing without it.  I always use the zoom in water deeper than 12 feet.  

Hope this helps, good luck!

Offline Garvdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Shut up and fish!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2004, 09:06 AM »
I got the Lowrance Ice Machine and it is just as good as the Fl18. It is real-time just as the vexilar. The graph can be very useful as well.

Offline cmsekora

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: FL-18 Questions
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2004, 06:48 PM »
Thanks for all the replys.  I ended up buying a Fl-18 Pro Pack this weekend.  I can't wait to try it out.  I'll post a report as soon as I do.  Thanks again for all the info.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2004, 09:43 PM »
Yep the flasher would be my pick, and yes you can use it on a boat.Everything you need to know about mounting it on a boat is on the vexilar site.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2004, 05:03 PM »
I use my vexilar in the boat. I just drop the float transducer over the side when i fish vertical. I havent fooled with trying to put it on a trolling motor cause now I can use it no matter whose boat we use.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.