Author Topic: carp making holes in the ice  (Read 2709 times)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
carp making holes in the ice
« on: Feb 23, 2007, 02:25 PM »
hey guys, it seems like here in MN we've been having alotta problems w/ swarms of carp thinning and even making huge open holes in 2 feet of ice.  i've just been wondering if this is a big problem anywhere else in the country, or if we're just the carp capital of the world.  gosh, i hate those critters.  they're fun as heck do catch but boy do they cause problems!!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: carp making holes in the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2007, 02:32 PM »
Never heard of this. It could become a problem for safety if it becomes wide spread. More of a reason to shoot and catch carp for sport! :)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2007, 02:38 PM »
it's a huge problem for safety.  on a lake in southern minnesota they made a hole in the ice about 300 yards  around.  3 trucks went through.  and the rest of the lake is 22-25".  i don't fish the lake, but there's another one i fish in the area called medicine lake.  never thought there was a lot of carp in the lake, but apparently they opened up a section about 150x200 yards, right next to a very popular crappie spot.  i'd like to see 'em killed off, but i think they need to kill the entire lake to do so, and medicine is just starting to get a heck of a walleye population due to stocking, it's one of the best pike lakes in the area, tons of craps and gills, and some really big bass.  it's one of the best lakes in the entire twin cities, and this is really dissappointing.  can bowhunters and anglers actually make a difference in the carp population? if so i'm really considering buying a bow this year   >:(

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2007, 02:42 PM »
If you kill enough breeding females it can't hurt!
They are a riot on light tackle or a fly rod.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2007, 02:53 PM »
how and why do they make these holes?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2007, 02:57 PM »
how and why do they make these holes?
Carp like to suck air. May be they are doing it to get oxygen in depleated water?

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2007, 03:29 PM »
maybe offer a no limit on them offer everyone a dollar for everyone they catch and turn them into fertilazer

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2007, 03:31 PM »
They are worth their weight in gold at the local Asian food store. Just can't sell them. But they would love you forever, and you would not be wasting them.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2007, 03:42 PM »
they make the holes by constantly rubbing up against the ice.  and it's not for lake of oxygenation, this lake is actually a very clean lake w/ an average depth of probably about 25 feet. 
hey, that sounds like a good idea!  i know of just the place to bring 'em.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2007, 03:49 PM »
 :o Tell the fish and game or go get a 22 and shoot the carp!!! Ha,Ha,!!  :D

Offline shantyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:01 PM »
HAVE BOW, WILL TRAVEL!! ;D 8) 8)  Hey fishuhaulic you gotta try it!  It's a blast!  Borrow a bow if you can.  You don't need much either.  In fact, my old Jennings Apex 1 is all I use.  I shoot them all summer.  I used to have a nice Jewish fellow from Russia that lived below me.  He used to pay me $5.00 a piece to get them for him.  He pickled them and made a creamed fish sauce and put it over a flat bread.  He gave me some once and I never had the nerve to try it.  I just put it in the fridge and one of my roomies came home from class and devoured it!!  I didn't have the heart to tell him it was carp that he was gorging himself on!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: He still thinks it was some kind of bass.  lol All i can say is try it.  You'll have a blast!  Good luck!  tight lines and full buckets!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:03 PM »
HAVE BOW, WILL TRAVEL!! ;D 8) 8)  Hey fishuhaulic you gotta try it!  It's a blast!  Borrow a bow if you can.  You don't need much either.  In fact, my old Jennings Apex 1 is all I use.  I shoot them all summer.  I used to have a nice Jewish fellow from Russia that lived below me.  He used to pay me $5.00 a piece to get them for him.  He pickled them and made a creamed fish sauce and put it over a flat bread.  He gave me some once and I never had the nerve to try it.  I just put it in the fridge and one of my roomies came home from class and devoured it!!  I didn't have the heart to tell him it was carp that he was gorging himself on!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: He still thinks it was some kind of bass.  lol All i can say is try it.  You'll have a blast!  Good luck!  tight lines and full buckets!
more like full boats!!  i'd love to fill up a 20' lund barron or 2 with carp. 

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:51 PM »
I sure like smokin them but I have a hell'uva time getting them lit.  And no I don't know why they would do this.  I could see them keeping an area open when it starts to freeze but not after its already 2 foot thick.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2007, 05:54 PM »
i'd like to see 'em killed off, but i think they need to kill the entire lake to do so, and medicine is just starting to get a heck of a walleye population due to stocking, it's one of the best pike lakes in the area, tons of craps and gills, and some really big bass.  it's one of the best lakes in the entire twin cities, and this is really dissappointing.  can bowhunters and anglers actually make a difference in the carp population? if so i'm really considering buying a bow this year   >:(

Yeah.. they same the same thing about us.  I've never heard of this before.  Are they the normal grass carp or are they the 5 foot asian carp that are reported to be in the Mississippi?  At any rate, if the lake you have is that nice of a fishery then leave well enough alone.  Just keep in mind, when man screws with something that mother nature is doing well, we generally  F*&K it up.  Just keep an eye out for problem areas, if there were open spots caused by under ground springs you wouldn want to plug those...lol.  Anyway, buy a bow, it's fun and get's you tuned in for bow season. :tipup:
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2007, 08:34 PM »
buy a bow, it is alot of fun ;D

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Wow, I have never ever heard of that in my life. I know a couple of "carp ponds" around here that are basically over populated by carp, we actually go out to them every spring and hook and line the big females. But I also ride my snowmobiles back to these ponds and ride all over them during the winter months. I've never seen anything close to open water on them. But there is a river that flows in to the ponds, and out of the ponds so maybe the carp congregate in these rivers....Hmmm....Weir d!
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:02 PM »
These are Asian carp that go crazy at the sound of a power auger. They try to jump but just keep hitting the ice causing it to deteriorate. No...just kidding. I have never heard of this before.But, I guess it could be a possibility. ??? ???
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Talk to your local archery shops about hosting a spring shoot. You will be suprized how many will show up. I think saganaw bay ( maybe sturgon bay) has a big spring shoot and if you don't have a couple pick up loads dont show up for weigh in. Its a sight! and smell if its hot!!
I too think their fun to catch but man you poke a 30 and then the fun starts. If you start shooting its as addictive as this web site! 
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2007, 10:56 PM »
 I bow-kill carp every chance I get during summer. Just wade in the bays, even after spawn......it's all you care to kill!! ;D It is a blast...believe me! 8)

On the other hand.....

A carp-conspiracy that defeats 2 feet of ice, in order to fk an angler :roflmao: :blink: :blink:

That is to much ::)
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline tarantula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2007, 04:56 AM »
Just gotta kill the carp!!!!
I bow fish for carp as often as i can along the lake michigan breakwalls in
indiana. 20-30# carp are the norm and to watch them rip the line off the
spool is quite a sight!
Get a bow and kill the commie carps!!!!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2007, 03:46 PM »
Every logical bone in my body is saying no way. But on the other hand????? Maybe it is a underground spring that popped into the picture. This seems to make a little more sense. The carp are hanging around there because of the warmer water. Springs have been known to "spawn" in places where they have never been known to be before.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2007, 05:31 PM »
i was thinking that too icehole. what makes you think that its the carp doing this? have you read this theary somewhere or did you see them under the ice rubbimg it? also if its full of carp milling around then get a rod and go drag them out. use them for your roses and garden. they are good for putting on that nosey neighbors roof too or the bosses catalytic converter!  ;)
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.