Author Topic: FALLING IN  (Read 2139 times)

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
FALLING IN
« on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:04 PM »
What are the best tools to have to get out of the pond, after you have fallen in?  I know what I would use.....but maybe a few people nee to here this again.  Post your best advice, equipment and strategy.  Oh ya, is there anything new out there to help in these situations?  Thanks for the post

REALITY CHECK
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: FALLING IN
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:13 PM »
Added to my essential gear & tackle is a length of rescue rope and a pair of hand spikes.  I never go on the ice without them.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:15 PM »
ice picks.....a must have for any icefisherman.   even if you're sure there's plenty of ice....you never know where an underground spring may be churning water and creating thin spots.  when in doubt.....wear a PFD....I'll be fishing a derby this weekend on a lake that's known for not completely freezing, and with the recent snowstorm in the northeast last week.....judgement is at risk.  if your fishing w/ a buddy....bring rope.  

Offline Bobby T.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishaholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:23 PM »
dont freak out!! "you can get out of this". if your boot's are loose like they should be ,kick em off and use your pick's ..you have pick's dont you!!! act like a seal...on your belly crawl to safe ice...do you or your buddy's carry a rope???
Why be a couch potato..When you can be an ice spud.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:28 PM »
no picks no rope :o   until last year when i went through I had no problem getting out because the ice was fine in all but a few areas  2 of which i found over 15fow  now i will usually carry picks just incase   and i had a cold water rescue suit given to me by a local fire department that  have worn on less than safe ice. I try to always be on my toes when ice fishing but sometimes i slip and get "comfortable"   after going through twice on seemingly good ice i now practice a bit more safety or at least precaution

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2007, 09:43 PM »
maybe one of these ?
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:13 PM »
I fell in today in 10 fow if it weren't for my ice spikes I may not be typing now. Fished all day in a cold wind but the other side I entered from was getting direct sunlight. As I was walking the ice was cracking from my weight I kept looking for the weedline because it is known to heat up first. Dam if I didn't walk right into it tried to find a way out opps too late. My leg left goes through then my right thank god I had my spikes on. Had to crawl out of the water and baby step it back to my truck. Never again will I risk fishing when the sun is out and into a late season

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:21 PM »
Ice-picks are a must and I wear cleated boots. I actually have two sets of picks in my gear. I keep a life-vest in my truck that I occasionally wear (under my parka so I don't get teased). I also keep a boat cushion w/ 100' of rope attached in my vehicle that goes out on occasion. While wandering around on the ice looking for a new spot or whatever - I carry my spud and check iffy looking areas.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:06 AM »
I always wear a PFD even when there 6 to 8 inch's of ice. When you fish the finger lakes you never know where there might be a spring or a bad spot. Also have rope in the bag
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:17 AM »
BASSandICE
I tell people all the time that FALLING IN IS NOT A DEATH SENTENCE; not getting back out is the problem.

I'm genuinely glad that you are still around as living proof of that statement.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:31 PM »
I went thru once to my armpits in 15 fow and didn't get wet, the 2 guys I was with couldn't believe it, I had a rainsuit on and it clung to my body that and my "CAT LIKE REFLEXES" kept us fishing the rest of the day. What happened was it rained for 3 straight days proir then snowed and got cold the night before we went, an old fishing hole was to blame I was standing on it for a minute or so talking next thing I knew everyone was A LOT taller than me. Had ice picks and didn't even use them and hopefully never will.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:30 PM »
i went thru once compleatly in warter over my head no picks i kicked like hell and crawled like a seal back on to the ice and i had coveralls and boots on the wost thing to do is panic i think thats were most that dont make it go wrong they are not in controll of them selfs you have very little time before hyperthermia sets in then its to late

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:41 PM »
Where is the video of that Canadian guy who jumped into the water on purpose to demonstrate the effects of the cold water and how to successfully get out? I found it very informative.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:44 PM »

Offline MuskyHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Time to play the game!"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:46 PM »
went through up to my neck some years back, had no picks and was alone. I think my fingernails grew to 8" that day! I was lucky and made it out....I will never go without my picks around my neck again. Also carry my spud, not only to check ice but it may stop ya from going under if you're lucky by spanning your entry. Also bring the pfd for my son now.
Eddie D.      NYRC member 

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:01 PM »
i have fallen through before. that had to be the scariest thing ive had happen to me in my life. back when i was in college we used to play hockey out on the lakes. i had laced up my skates and got out on the ice before anybody to warm up. the bay i was on had about 4 good hard inches of ice on it. more than enough to skate on. well i took off and headed toward the mouth of a channel that lead to another lake to try to find a good spot for a duck blind for the following season. this channel was about a mile from where i lived. the center of the channel was open but the mouth was froze over. i slowly made my way across it without any trouble, ice was nice and thick. i stayed on the bay and didn't go on the channel. I had got a phone call from some people saying they were almost there so i started on back. i started skating at a pretty good clip. i was pretty fast then and i had the wind to my back, i must have been going about 20mph or so. the path i took was about 100 feet farther out than the point i crossed the channel. I began to hear the ice cracking under me so i kept the pace up hoping the thin spot would be small. The next thing i know it feels like hundreds of needles are stabbing my eyes when i opened them. i had gone through in only 6 feet of water, but i was doing 20 mph when i went through and had hockey skates on. needless to say i was hurt but i didnt know it yet because the adrenaline kick was so strong. i floated up because some air was caught in my clothes and i tried to get back on the sheet of ice. to my dismay it broke again. i lunged forward pushing the sheet i was on under the main sheet of ice. i jumped on and it broke again. this happen two more times before i got on. when i got on i layed down and rolled for about 30 feet because that is when it stopped cracking. as soon as it stopped making noise i stood up dripping from head to toe and started skating as fast as i could. it was about 20 degrees outside with a 20 mph wind and i had a mile to cover. i didn't know at the time but i had several large cuts starting at my shins going up to my gut from where the ice had hit me as it broke due to me skating at full stride. when i made it back, my clothes were frozen and one of my buddies had just got there. i was able to hold back my shivering just long enough to yell " I went through, help ! " i was unable to take off my skates and clothes so my buddy had to do it for me. He completely undressed me to get the wet clothes off and got me into my truck to get me warm. fortunately my truck was still a bit warm as i had only been out for less than 30 minutes so i had heat right away. when i went through i lost my cell phone, ruined a $600 pair of hockey skates on the sand and rock bottom, and had to get naked in front of another guy. but i walked away with my life. i am lucky to be alive after that. very lucky. i was very much near hypothermia

so, buy spikes, wear a pfd if it is thin, and dont pull any stupid crap like i did. i could have paid with my life. i still get goosebumps thinking about that.

Offline jigger-team hamlin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:24 AM »
Where is the video of that Canadian guy who jumped into the water on purpose to demonstrate the effects of the cold water and how to successfully get out? I found it very informative.
ya thats man vs. wild that guy is a nut...lol

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
  • From the gridiron to the ice
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2007, 04:51 PM »
Definately helps to be in good shape as well.  Although if you're in for any length of time YOUR PHYSICAL CAPABILITES WILL FAIL.  Keep that in mind.  Get out quick!!!
"Knowledge is power, Power is knowledge!"

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:17 PM »
BASSandICE
I tell people all the time that FALLING IN IS NOT A DEATH SENTENCE; not getting back out is the problem.

I'm genuinely glad that you are still around as living proof of that statement.

Thank you!!

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:38 PM »
Went through this year in 80 FOW!  Me and another guy walking along pulling a guide shelter, we went a bit too close to a river inlet, the current had eroded the ice from the bottom, it all looked the same on top.  As I felt it breaking I said "oh sh$t", I was really more worried about my friend, he's almost double my age (I'm 29 he's 55) and I could hear he was breathing really hard.  I was wearing a flotation suit, I grabbed the ice in the direction we went in and it broke away.  I told my partner I was going to get out and then pull him out, I grabbed again and was out.  I grabbed his arm and pulled him out, all in all it was probably 30 seconds or so, but it was scary. After we got out my partner was still in shock and panicking and he wanted to walk back to the car (1k walk).  I said no way, we're walking back to safe ice and setting up the shelter and turning on the Mr. Buddy.  He finally agreed and we did just that.  For the next 45 min we took off our boots, poured the water out of the boots and wrang out everything.  We dried out our gear as best as possible and headed back to the car.  Drove to a nearby town and put the clothes in the coin dryers, after that we went to a pub and grabbed a beer!.  We agreed to not tell our families as they likely wouldn't ever want us to go again.  All I can say is that if you go out for early ice, make sure you're in good shape, wear a PFD, keep picks with you and spud a lot as you walk.  My buddy told me later he's pretty sure he wouldn't have been able to pull me out like I had done for him.  The ice water just sucks the energy out of you, stay positive and confident if you do go through, it could save your life.  Be safe out there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.