Author Topic: Minnow Bucket  (Read 2570 times)

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Minnow Bucket
« on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:44 PM »
I have a single wall el-cheapo plastic minnow bucket. Several times this year when it's cold out the water starts to frezze and the minnows start to die off. I've seen the cheap styrofoam ones keep minnows frisky all day even in cold temps and no freezing water. I put mine in a 5 gal bucket to keep the water from splashing around and freezing. Has anyone lined their 5 gal bucket to create an insulated barrier??? With the price of bait I want them to last more than 1 trip on the ice. Also do the minnows die off quicker in the much colder water??? Thanks..........
      Kim ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Re: Minnow Bucket
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:28 PM »
Frabil has one out thats a 5 gal bucket with a built in areator. inside is foam lined. looks neat
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:48 PM »
i use a styrofoam one also, dont have any problems with minnows dying off, in fact i bought a dozen pike minnows and 2 dozen crappie minnows and didnt use one of em the whole day, took em home and put em on the bench in the barn, left em there for 3 days and lost 7 crappie minnows and 1 pike minnow, i was suprised how long they lasted, as long as you keep fresh water in the bucket

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:30 PM »
I've seen the cheap styrofoam ones keep minnows frisky all day even in cold temps and no freezing water. I put mine in a 5 gal bucket to keep the water from splashing around and freezing. Has anyone lined their 5 gal bucket to create an insulated barrier???

Do you put just your minnows in the 5 gal bucket or the styrofoam bucket into the 5 gal bucket???

I have the styrofoam minnow bucket that fits perfectly into a 5 gal bucket and use it all of the time. I bought a half dozen golden shiners and 2 dozen "perch minnows" (smaller shiners) on Sunday morning and they were all alive today when I fished. They also went for a ride yesterday and stayed in the truck for 8 hours. I've added a little bit of fresh water but don't run anaerator. I do bring the whole 5 gal bucket (w/ styrofoam inner bucket) in at night and keep the whole thing in the fridge - except for tonight where I left them in the truck as it's not supposed to get much below freezing and I'm going in the morning.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 07:45 AM »
I have a 5 gallon bucket and a styrofoam lined minnow bucket. And what I did was I drilled a couple of holes in the 5 gallon pail then I put my minnow pail in a plastic bag and then put it in the 5 gal. pail. then i took a can of expanding foam spray and filled up the empty space around the minnow bucket. Aftyer the foam had cured I took out the minnow pail and plastic bag. So now my 5 gal pail is insulated plus the minnow pail is insulated. The cold water will not kill the minnows. Unless your minnows are in warm water and you put them on the hook and in the icy water then it will last a couple of minutes and then die.  You got to be careful of temperature changes.

When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Frabil has one out thats a 5 gal bucket with a built in areator. inside is foam lined. looks neat

i have one of those, only used it once so far but it worked great, teh aerator runs forever on D batteries
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2007, 05:43 AM »
I found out that the water temp was changing too fast resulting in minnow kill. I lined my 5 gal pail with neopreme and then set my minnow bucket inside. This should stopp the water temp from changing too fast and keeping the minnows alive. I'll let you know how it works out this weekend... Thanks for alll your suggestions.........
      Kim    :tipup: :tipup: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2007, 06:33 AM »
I also have a styrofoam pail that fits inside a 5-gal bucket.  I just drilled a hole in the top for my air line and set the aerator on top of the styrofoam lid.  I works well and the water never seems to freeze.  I also agree that fast temp changes are the quickest way to kill minnows.  Chubs and suckers also seem to be more hardy than shiners.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.