Author Topic: Looking for Bobber info  (Read 2599 times)

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Looking for Bobber info
« on: Feb 17, 2007, 01:40 PM »
A buddy of mine bought some icefishing bobbers a few years ago when a bait shop went out of business. I have never seen them before, but I really like them. They have a piece of surgical rubber in the center of them. You use a needle to thread your line through the center of the bobber and then tie on your jig. The rubber holds tight to your line and you don't have to use a tooth pick to peg your line. To change your depth, all you do is slide the bobber up and down and it stays where you put it. I don't know their name, or where to buy more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for Bobber info
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2007, 02:32 PM »
Are they made out of clear plastic?  jdm

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2007, 04:32 PM »
Post a picture and I'm sure someone will give you the info.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Lagro Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2007, 05:39 PM »
I have some bobbers kind of like youer talking about. I got mine at a locale bait shop. They have them at Lindy. Ill get a pic in the morning and try to post it for you. 
Always take a child hunting or fishing its our future.

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2007, 03:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply's. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I work 4:00pm to 4:00am and just got home. They are a white styrofoam looking affair with a small metal ring at the top and bottom. You run a needle with your line through the ring/bobber. Any picture you can post Lagro would be great.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:40 PM »
jdm, We have over 10k members and nobody knows anything about this bobber??
I started icefishing in '88 and bought one (slip bobber) and have never seen one again. I used to get weird looks from my buddy when i used to crank the fish all the way up to the rod with this bobber. Its to cooool. Anyway it was manufactured by the PAW PAW Bait Co. and Moonlight and Arnold tackle were somehow related to them.
You will have to make your own. Its not to hard to do. You can use the styro floats that look just like it(available at walmart,gander mountain,etc) and thread a rubber band through it. Make sure to tie knots at both ends after threading it through.
If you have breakage on the float you can force a brass tube (ball point pen tube) through it and then jamb the rubber through.If this is too much work you can(like i did) use a ''hard'' float like a thill that is designed for ice fishing. The Thill is easier to thread the rubber band through.
The stro floats are available everywhere tho.
Picture of ''fancy striped bobber''................http://www.anglersmart.com/

crappieloo

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:47 PM »
You bought those at sweeny's right. Have an unopened pack in the garage ...somewhere! it should have a name on it.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2007, 11:52 PM »
jdm, We have over 10k members and nobody knows anything about this bobber??
I started icefishing in '88 and bought one (slip bobber) and have never seen one again. I used to get weird looks from my buddy when i used to crank the fish all the way up to the rod with this bobber. Its to cooool. Anyway it was manufactured by the PAW PAW Bait Co. and Moonlight and Arnold tackle were somehow related to them.
You will have to make your own. Its not to hard to do. You can use the styro floats that look just like it(available at walmart,gander mountain,etc) and thread a rubber band through it. Make sure to tie knots at both ends after threading it through.
If you have breakage on the float you can force a brass tube (ball point pen tube) through it and then jamb the rubber through.If this is too much work you can(like i did) use a ''hard'' float like a thill that is designed for ice fishing. The Thill is easier to thread the rubber band through.
The stro floats are available everywhere tho.
Picture of ''fancy striped bobber''................http://www.anglersmart.com/

crappieloo

Cool ideas!!  I dead stick a minnow under a regular thill slip bobber.  I like the idea of the rubber bands with the smaller styros though.  THanks!!! :tipup:
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:24 AM »
Crappieloo, thanks for the tip. I never thought of the rubber band. I have a last chance to find them at a place called Fetlas' in Valperaiso. I will let you know if I get lucky.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:48 AM »
Hi   I used a plain  red&white bobber  with a rubberband  stuck on my line   & then when i get it to where i want my jig to fall<depth>  then i short it some more  so it wont get caught in my poles eyes  & I can reel up a fish on

Steve
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2007, 11:48 AM »
Finally got to see the package they came in. The package said " Arnold slip n grip float" but no address.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2007, 11:59 AM »
I use them as strike indicators when fly fishing....I beleive they are called frogs

flockshot

« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2007, 01:15 PM »
lol last time i used a bobber i was like 10
so like 2 years ago.

anyways...alot of good fly fishing indicators work wonders during the hardwater season...theres a company called fishpimp that makes very awsome rubber core strike indicators..with awsome floatability too..id check them out.

flockshot

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2007, 01:25 PM »
whatever.

on topic id look at a flyfishing catalog, you'd be suprised at the amount of dual use equipment in them..half my fly fishing stuff gets used all winter. lol.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2007, 04:55 PM »
Know them, haven't seen them in years. If its usefull to anyone Cork gasket material works well. Cut small strip, pass line through twice. Stays well, and slips at rod tip.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2007, 05:26 PM »
whatever.

on topic id look at a flyfishing catalog, you'd be suprised at the amount of dual use equipment in them..half my fly fishing stuff gets used all winter. lol.
Flock, good point.  Stike indicators are great when they are soaked in dry fly dressing.  I'm refering to the fuzzy nylon ones that come in floresent colors
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2007, 04:27 AM »
Flockshot, Thank-you. I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't fly fish so I missed this. Won't happen again, you got me heading in the right direction. John:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.