Author Topic: How can i tell if its safe???  (Read 3553 times)

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
How can i tell if its safe???
« on: Dec 07, 2003, 09:58 AM »
Friday we had some ice  on the lake but i didnt get a chance to find out how much. Then saturday and today we got hit with 18" of snow and its still coming down. How can i tell if the ice is safe in a few weeks when the season opens without stepping out onto it???  :-\  I'd rather not make my fishing trip into a swimming trip.
Does the snow keep it from freezing underneath or does it help it?

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:How can i tell if its safe???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2003, 10:12 AM »
Smeltshack - Snow is never a good thing for ice as it acts as an insulating blanket and can help deteriorate it. As far as testing to see if its safe, the only way I know of is to start testing it right at the shoreline. I like to take a spud, if I'm unsure of the conditions, and start chopping (testing) the ice as soon as I step on. Then just work your way out. If you start noticing it getting where its becoming questionable, as far as thickness goes, don't go any farther (obviously!). I've never gone in yet so I must be doing something right.    

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2003, 10:18 AM »
CAUTION is the only way!

18" of snow will push the ice down and create slushy ice under the surface . It may partially freeze again but not be solid below the surface.

I generally test with my spud bar...it's heavy and sharp enough to go right through 2" of good ice with a good shot. If I can't poke a hole with my spud then I grab the auger and start dropping test holes. Be sure of your water depths,start shallow, wear a PFD, take your ice picks and have your partner on shore holding a rope attached to you (a good rope!)..DON'T GO ALONE!!!!!!!

Stay away from creek mouths, drainage pipes, high current areas ETC. Ice thickness can change rapidly within just a few feet.

I generally wait till I see  a group of fat guys out there. Not an uncommon sight on the ice!

As I always say...STAY ON THE DRY SIDE!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2003, 10:49 AM »
Hey be careful man 18" of snow is a lot of insulation! Use your spud and go slow!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2003, 12:02 PM »
THanks guys yah its still snowing and were up to over 20" of snow and yep its still coming down like mad.  Is a spud bar one of those poles with the sharp blade on the end? Sort of looks like a spear? I thought about getting one of those to reopen holes.
Well thats not good news for making thicker ice. I sure will be careful and stay close to shore. Hopefully by January 1st it will be cold enough to get that ice frozen up down under the snow.

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2003, 01:05 PM »
You got it smeltshack. Alot of guys buy them for reopening holes but they are a very good tool for testing ice thickness. As RGFIXIT said, if you get them nice and sharp they go through the ice pretty well. Where abouts are you located? Sounds like your getting a hell of a storm!

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2003, 03:29 PM »
We're up over 2 feet now and yes it is a massive storm and still going. I live in Maine. I have lived here for a long long time and have rarely seen a storm like this. This might actually be the biggest. I think my uncle had one of those poles and drilled a hole through the handle end and tied a rope through it to put over your wrist so you wouldnt lose it down the hole if it went slick. He must have loved that thing becuase one day he yelled at me to put the rope around my wrist as I was slamming it into the ice so i wouldnt lose it down the hole. I had to laugh because it was around my wrist he just didnt see it. I might just have to get me one of those.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2003, 04:02 PM »
It would be a good investment.
Safety 1st!

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2003, 08:25 PM »
when determining ice safety, I have Two Absolute Rules:

Any ice you just got off of without going through WAS safe ice.

Any ice you are currently on IS questionable ice.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2003, 08:34 PM »
GEM EYE GUY Said it all.
When i started out i used to follow the fat guy on the way out, and follow his tracks back to the shore.
Now i'M older and the fat guy, so i have to be carefull.

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2003, 09:42 AM »
everyone has the right advice-stay away from the ice until you get some cold weather and make sure  your boots come up over your ears ;D

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2003, 01:17 PM »
GEM EYE GUY Said it all.
When i started out i used to follow the fat guy on the way out, and follow his tracks back to the shore.
Now i'M older and the fat guy, so i have to be carefull.

Look at it this way. Us fat guys now have our own built in PFDs and Thermal insulation in one package. ;)

Offline Jenk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of work!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:24 PM »
Smelt, this is a pretty good page with a LOT of info on it.  Personally, you'll never see me on ice that's less than 5 inches in thickness, but that's just me (and my beer gut).

http://www.hickorytech.net/~jbusby/safety.htm
Nothing changes, when nothing changes.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:32 PM »
I wait till its about 5 inches too. Its better to be safe then sorry. I too generally wait until I see a bunch of fat guys running all over the ice until I go out. I've been out on 3" before, but it's alot easier on the mind if your out on more then 4 or 5.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2003, 03:14 PM »
Last year one of my buddies called me up and said "Hey , you've got one of those survival suits don't you?...We're going ice fishing and need a point man!"

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

crappie_kings

« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2003, 04:21 PM »
smelt, if you have access to a welder and cutting torch you can just make and ice chisel (spud) yourself.  what i did was cut about 4" off of a leaf spring and then cut a v into one end of it.  grind away at the inside edges of the v until they are sharp (and at somewhat of an angle)and weld it on to the end of a solid steel pipe.  then i welded a peice of hollow tubing about 9" long to the top of the pole so if i drop it while opening an 8" hole it wont go down.  it only took me a couple of hours to make and all the material costs came to about $7.  just thought you might want to try it.

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:46 PM »
my personel saying is,
when in doubt don't go out  :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.