Author Topic: A Barb Past The Skin - Who's done it?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A Barb Past The Skin - Who's done it?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:43 PM »
I was casting a frog years ago, and caught my (late GREAT) Brother in the side of the head! One of the hooks sunk in fairly well, but he decided to just yank it out. I about soiled myself, when he calmly handed my frog back to me! He was the best!!!
RIP, Rich!

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:31 PM »
Back in college a friend and I were sorting tackle before a big fishing trip I was taking.  We were laying all the various shad raps and spoons out on the picnic table.  When we were done and headed inside, when the cute neighbor girls came out to chat. I went ahead and sat down for what looked like a long conversation on the concrete steps...... As soon as my butt hit the step, I knew there was trouble.....  a long rapala imitation had gotten hooked on the back of my T-shirt and I sat down full force on the Treble.  I got my buddies attention and we both went inside ( without telling the girls BTW).  It was buried, through my shorts!   He poured a big glass of whisky ( for himself), I laid face down on the floor and with a big yank from my leatherman he pulled it straight out.
    He told this story on me every chance he got.  It always got a laugh

Fast forward a couple years he was tying flies and drinking beer one night...  He woke up in the middle of the night with the sheets stuck to his butt.... yep a stray hook buried right in the keaster with the sheet attached.   Of coarse, he didn't call me,  he had his girlfriend drive him to the ER.....

I didn't hear him tell my story quite as often after that LOL

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:39 PM »
There are several videos on YouTube on how to do this . It takes two hands so if it is in your hand . Won't work . The last time it happened to me it was in my finger to the bone . I was alone . I just used my leatherman  and jerked it out . And then drank a lot of beer .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Familyfishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " it's all good"
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Had this prob over the summer , had 15 to 18 inch pickerel on other end while he was doing the jig with hook shoved past the barb. Few choice words on that deal. Long story short had to go all way back to the boat dock to get a pair of cutters . Popped the hook thru other side of my hand and cut the hook!!!! Didn't stop me fishing the rest of day , but was lil tender !!!!!!  Now I carry long nose plyers and pair cutters on the boat at all times ! Fish-on!!!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:24 PM »
2 times once a treble hook in my fishing bag 2nd time i was pulling old line out of my trunk and had a fly on it..

Offline B540glenn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:28 PM »
While camping one time, I took my son and his friend out fishing on a small boat.  I hooked myself in the side of a knee with the treble hook on a Rapala.  I spent a good 30 minutes with cheap needle-nosed pliers trying to get the dull hook to come out, either the way it went in or all the way through so I could crimp down the barb.  All the while the friend is getting squeamish watching this me try to poke a hook through my knee.  Back at shore, I had to use my neighbor's lineman's pliers to force the hook through my skin and cut off the barb.  My son's friend hasn't gone fishing with us since. 
Glenn

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:31 PM »
While camping one time, I took my son and his friend out fishing on a small boat.  I hooked myself in the side of a knee with the treble hook on a Rapala.  I spent a good 30 minutes with cheap needle-nosed pliers trying to get the dull hook to come out, either the way it went in or all the way through so I could crimp down the barb.  All the while the friend is getting squeamish watching this me try to poke a hook through my knee.  Back at shore, I had to use my neighbor's lineman's pliers to force the hook through my skin and cut off the barb.  My son's friend hasn't gone fishing with us since.

This is what separates the MEN from the men. Love it!
Just add water.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:59 PM »
There are several videos on YouTube on how to do this . It takes two hands so if it is in your hand . Won't work . The last time it happened to me it was in my finger to the bone . I was alone . I just used my leatherman  and jerked it out . And then drank a lot of beer .

I've removed hooks myself on a number of occasions with fishing line.  The only thing is, you have to be able to reach it and have the either the line being pulled, or tied to something that won't move.

<{{{{{ °>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Only once, at summer camp when I was a kid.  Got my Jitterbug caught in a tree overhanging the water.  Leaned out, pulled the branch towards me with one hand, and tried to get the lure out of the tree with the other.  The branch slipped out of my hand and I was left leaning out over the water supported only by the finger with the hook in it.  Luckily it was only in the side of my finger and not hitting bone or I don't know how I would have gotten out of that one.  I can't remember if I broke my line or the tree branch, but I must have done one or the other since I'm not still hanging in that damn tree.

Oh, just remembered.  Also when I was younger, I would sort my tackle box on the shag carpet while I watched TV.  Those small perch hooks can fall out and be unfindable until you're shuffling around barefoot.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:53 PM »
There were four of us in my driftboat floating the Yellowstone river on a cast and blast trip in the fall. I got my Panther Martin hung on a rock and when I yanked, it came back at the boat like a heat seeking missile and buried in  the back of my buddies head! I tried to get it yanked back out, but he was too wimpy, so we left it in there. The next day I got to work and there he was with this giant bandage wrapped around his head! He had actually gone to the ER to get it extracted, but it was mostly for show. Man I caught hell for a long time after that.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Yup, last summer, middle of the right calf. Two barbs from one treble on a 7 inch Rapala. Three lb northern still attached and fighting.  Not a great situation three miles from camp. Got the fish off, lure off the line, hook off the lure. Poke the hooks through, pinched the barbs and backed them out.  Lady friend with me wasn't much help, too busy trying not to toss her cookies.  Hurt like hell for a bit. Got back to camp, sterilized the wound with alcohol liberally from the inside and out. Worked well, no infection.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:24 PM »
When I was still in college my buddy and I planned a all day bass fishing day on the lake near us. Was the first time fishing in months for both of us and neither of us were going to have another opportunity for many more months. After putting out in the 12 ft aluminum boat we had pieced together we got to the spot and on my second cast with a big rapala rattle trap, he leaned over for something just as I started my forward cast and hooked him through his hat and into his scalp right above the forehead. Barb was fully embedded. Had to snip off the treble hook at the shank, slip the hat off and then he bit down on the anchor line while I pushed the hook through.  Took 4 attempts before it finally pushed through (scalp skin is alot thicker than you'd think). 10 min later we were back to fishing...

When the wives found out that night, they couldn't believe we didn't go to the doctor to have it looked at. Our response...."it eventually stopped bleeding...so what's the big deal!"

Been best friends ever since. Good times......
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Hey serial offenders, thanks for making me feel not so klutzy. Seriously, big toothy fish, multi-hooked lures and high excitement just beg for some sort of problem.

The first time, I hand landed a 45" musky off the folks dock. A little wiggle, poke a thumb. loosen the grip and the next thing I know the fish is 180 and I have a hook buried in each hand with the middle treble still in the fish. Handcuffed as it were. I count that as #1 and #2. Both were thru and thru so it wasn't too bad. Except for the one that went up my pinky finger. You can't believe how tough all that stuff is in your finger until you try to push/pull one through. Old man had the point in a 6" needle-nose Vise-Grip pulling while I tried to push from the other end. Finger all cranked out and no motion because the barb wouldn't/couldn't pass. I finally used a razor blade (new and sterilized) to open up the exit hole just a smidge and it finally popped right through.

The funniest one was in the basement workshop. Maybe a couple of dozen musky lures hanging from overhead light fixtures, an extension cord to same, various stored clamps etc.... Yep, you can imagine.  :whistle: I carefully navigated a curtain of lures to get to the roll of paper toweling, got my sheet and backed out. Ooops! Everything is moving! One lure snagged in the top of my ear and (of course) got stuck. The movement tangled about 9 - 10 lures hanging on the wire. Had to sort through the snarl of lures to get to the one that stuck me. It was easy. Hook was sharp enough and ear so thin it just poked right through. Wife didn't think it was as funny as I did.  :roflmao:

Tetanus shots. If I can't remember the last time I had one I get one. Can't get too many but it sure is dangerous to not be up to date.  :thumbsup:

Got a friend that has a pic of his son with a purple bucktail hanging from his lip... "Help me Dad!" "Where's that dang camera..." Oh yeah!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:59 PM »
I hooked my pointer and middle finger together when I slipped off the dock.... Grasped for anything I could  get and grabbed a rod with a husky jerk hooked on the eyelet sitting in the rodholder... Luckily it was fairly shallow and went all the way through so I just snipped it off... And another time I put a 16th oz jig into my ring finger tip... Another snip and pull.... Luckily I haven't buried a Barb yet.... But as much as I fish.... YET is the keyword
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:35 PM »
The salt water guys have got a lot of stories.  I had a 2/0 treble in my thumb way past the barb with a flopping 10# striper still on the lure.  I cut the hook off (left it in my thumb), fished all night, drove home 6 hours the next day and stopped at urgent care close to home.  It wasn't much trouble to remove it once the novacaine took effect - just pushed it through til the point came out and then grabbed the point with pliers and pulled.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:38 PM »
done it prolly 10 times over the years.  Best time was a 5lb rainbow on a rapala went to pull hook with pliers, the bow flipped and got one hook in right forearm with bow still hooked to rapala.  I layed on the bow grabbed the hook with pliers and just pulled. never felt a thing.

Pulled a buried treble outta my Bros' hand twice in one day last year in the boat. hE HELD DOWN THE RIGHT HAND WITH HIS LEFT HAND AND i RIPPED IT OUT.  Too funny! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline pickerelpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Many moons ago I sunk a small crankbait into the back of my buddies head with enough force to break the line.  Hooks were barbless but he refused to let 2 of us pull it out at the same time.  Must have been the rusty pliers.  He went to ER to get removed.  Came back with small bald spot and band aid. Funny part was the ER had a mannequin with a display of lures removed from the areas of the body.

I myself put a number 2 treble from a bomber into my thumb. Cut other hooks free then cut split ring leaving just the hook. Drove around the lake looking for someone to pull the loop of mono. No luck so tied onto steering wheel and self extracted hook. Hurt pretty good and bled good too. This method works. 

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:58 PM »
done it prolly 10 times over the years.  Best time was a 5lb rainbow on a rapala went to pull hook with pliers, the bow flipped and got one hook in right forearm with bow still hooked to rapala.  I layed on the bow grabbed the hook with pliers and just pulled. never felt a thing.

Pulled a buried treble outta my Bros' hand twice in one day last year in the boat. hE HELD DOWN THE RIGHT HAND WITH HIS LEFT HAND AND i RIPPED IT OUT.  Too funny! ;D
So that's why you keep the cudgel handy!

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:29 AM »
I've noticed that a thrashing Pickerel is tied into a few of these. One more reason to hate those dam things!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:03 AM »
I've noticed that a thrashing Pickerel is tied into a few of these. One more reason to hate those dam things!
ya got me to chime in, i was in my rowboat on hemlock about 10 yrs ago when i caught a fiesty pickeral that as soon as it got into the boat started thrashing around and launched my xrap from his mouth deep into my ring finger. had to row back with it in my hand and go to the e.r. as it was straight in and i couldnt get it to poke through. another time was about 7 yrs ago i was preparing my tip ups one evening after a few to many  drinks and while trying to tighten the knot i sunk a treble into my middle finger, luckily i was pretty buzzed up and was able to force it the rest of the way through, clip the barb off and remove it myself, alcohol can make us do amazing things!!!
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:22 AM »
Beershanty - Buzzed - Feeling no pain - lol. Sounds like you could join my buddy and I any old time
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:37 AM »
I haven't done it but a buddy of mine did one time while we were bass fishing in the kayaks. A 4# bass spit the lure at him and it buried itself in his palm. He was bummed that he had to make a trip to the hospital but I had just watched a video by Chad Hoover about pulling hooks. Gave it a try. My buddy said he never felt it come out. Good to go and we kept hittin' the big bass all day!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Oh I have done this... It was the first time meeting my now father in law. We were fishing in his stocked trout pond when I hooked into a real nice rainbow. When I was trying to get the hook out of it's mouth the fish thrashed and put a point of the treble deep into my finger. Now I'm hooked and so is the fish and It is still thrashing around making it even more painful. We got the fish off the other hook and then set to working on my finger. Ended up having to drive the hook all the way around to expose the point and barb to cut it off with a set of side cutters. Then my father in law promptly gave me beer. Don't have the photos on this computer but I can share them when I get home.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:11 AM »
So that's why you keep the cudgel handy!

Yeah actually  I cudgel'ed the bow with my free hand! ;D   It was quite the spectacle with my swearing also-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Man O Man, I gotta make some POPCORN For this!!!!!

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:27 PM »
My dad and some buddies went to Canada salmon fishing, one drunk night his buddy went to climb in the boat to go to bed and fell. On his way down he grabbed for anything and ended up with a big salmon hook ran down his hand and finger and stuck in a knuckle.  They got on the radio asking for a dr, the only one around was a gynecologist on vacation.  To this day they still tease Russ about having his own gyno.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #56 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Man O Man, I gotta make some POPCORN For this!!!!!

Here, lemme help you with that...

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:57 PM »
only one of note ,knew it was fouled in the anchor line pulled up to clear it well , lets just say things slipped was a easy extraction tho .

governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #58 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:41 PM »
a gynecologist on vacation

this is pretty much the same as needle nose pliers right?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:57 PM »
This video is crazy...

If you click this link, and scroll down the comments are really funny...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zgfpsupmu98

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.