Author Topic: Kokanee  (Read 1884 times)

Offline garnede

• IceShanty Rookie
Kokanee
« on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:49 PM »
There are a few lakes here in south central Alaska with Kokanee.  What method should I use to catch them through the ice?  Any bait, lure, fly that works better?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:33 PM »
Garnede, stop by your local Fred Meyer or Safeway, pick up a handful of frozen cooked shrimp from the fish section, use any ol' spoon with a trebble, put a thawed shrimp on the hook, jig it and voila!  You'll catch landlock salmon, trout, and dolly vardens.  When I was ice fishing the Anchorage/Wasilla area lakes, this worked well.

Offline kokeaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring the Kokanee back to Glass Lake.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:38 PM »
1st I am a New Yorker but 2nd I have caught them through the Ice. I found simple Rainbow Trout/ Yellow Perch techniques will catch some Salmon. Bright Pink was my Favorite color flasher all year so, I used smaller, Pink swedish Pimples and pink/ silver Little Cleos with a short tag and White Corn and Spikes sometimes. I used smaller hooks so they ate it deeper, and Fluorocarbon for measure because it was very very clear water. I used to catch them occasionally before the stocking was terminated in my Lake and they Died off a few years ago.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2007, 01:46 AM »
they use a contraption called a umbrella jig little daphnia lookin bugs to simulate a horde of water fleas only one lake in pa i know that has kokanees its plum creek reservoir in kittaning pa
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline garnede

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Thanks for the help folks.  the fish and game sais that they are here but noone targets them up here.  They all just wait for summer to catch their big brothers.  1MOFISH do you know a website that has pictures of this jig little daphnia?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2007, 02:00 PM »
Thanks for the help folks.  the fish and game sais that they are here but noone targets them up here.  They all just wait for summer to catch their big brothers.  1MOFISH do you know a website that has pictures of this jig little daphnia?
not off hand its been years since i fished that lake it could be a local thing  a specialized technique anybody else know   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2007, 11:31 PM »
I like to use small tube jigs, or just a jighead with a small cooked shrimp on it. i've used raw shrimp as well. I had my best lucky in maybe 6-10 feet of water, in the most cover you can find. They really love cover, and they also travel in bunches, so if ya caych 1 chances r there will be more in the area. I fish with 2 rods maybe about 10' apart.
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.