Author Topic: micro jigs; how to use em?  (Read 3700 times)

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
micro jigs; how to use em?
« on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:14 AM »
Quick question about micro jigs.  Since they are so light how the heck do you get them down the hole?  Do you guys put a split shot above it?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: micro jigs; how to use em?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I stricly use one pound test. The jigs sink very well and kinda seem to gravitate at the same time. That may make them seem more natural. But you will need a very very flimsy rod for one pound test.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:43 AM »
I also use the tungsten jigs mentioned above; usually the 3mm on 2# test. Deadly on gills and perch. You need a good smooth drag with this set up. You can also fish super light jigs under a spoon on a dropper of 2-4# test which will eliminate the problem of getting deep in a hurry.

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:01 PM »
Thanks!  Question answered.  Next question; the best crappie rod and reel combo and where to get it? 

Offline MaineT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine, the way tax burdens shouldn't be.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Maybe not top of the line best.... but I like south bends Everest Ultra light rods. Easy on the wallet, and effective.
We usually order in better quality reels for them with at least a couple ball bearings and a decent drag. The rods flex nicely and seem to hold up to all sorts of abuse. You can probably find them in most places under or around the $20 mark. Most of ours are anyway, depending on where you are.

I like to load them up with 2-4 lb test.
Its not a bad crappie set-up, but I am usually looking for salty smelts when I use mine.
I caught you a delicious bass, wanna play me?

-Napoleon Dynomite

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:15 PM »
Micro Jig fishing is more for a guy with patience than a run and gun fisherman. Finesse is what its about. For the micros I make, the weight is around 1/125oz ball head jig with my own plastics as a trailer mostly on a #16 hook but can go down to 18 or if needed a 20. I joke with guys who use them because I named it a wind jig and with a 10mph wind it doesn't like to go down the hole. Yes I fish it in a portable with no wind problems and at times I fish it in 35ft of water. Now is the patience deal. A small Micro jig in Tungsten is heavier and does sink faster but in lead they fish slow and drop slow. Sometimes thats the meal ticket. The main Lake I fish needs that kind of fishing. You don't catch any more run and gun but finding the fish and working them over is what puts them in the bucket for me. The added weight of splitshots, Tungsten jigs or even doubling up the micros does not give the same result of the single micro falling and gliding as it is being worked over fish. Ive seen the fish on my locater rise as much as 10 ft to nail them as they glide to the bottom. I think in a way they run out of patience waiting to look it over the turn up there noses and swim away as they will do with heavier jigs. In shallow water it is a lot easier fishing them because of course you don't need to drink a cup of coffee as you wait for it to drop in 35ft. I fish mostly with 2lb line although 1 lb would be better I have caught a couple nice 20" eyes on the Micros and gratefull for having 2lb on the reels. The one thing also to remember is like anything else with fishing if you have aggressive fish use heavier jigs if they are tight lipped or single whacking the lure and scooting off try the Micros they might make a average day turn into a great day of fishing.

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2007, 08:27 PM »
You guys are the best, thankyou very much! ;D ;D ;D

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007, 09:27 PM »
Buy yourself a marmish. I have 3 of them and i dont go on the ice without them. They are perfect for tiny jigs and light strikes. load em up with 2 pound line and your good to go. you get a deal too when you buy them through this site or something like that.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2007, 07:40 AM »
for the best handling on a micro jig I suggest a marmish rod....as long as  you keep the line at 2lbs or under you should not have a problem getting the jig down...the wolfram jigs mentioned above are top notch and will get you where you need to go...be warned, since my fist order I have been addicted and placed orders every season

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2007, 10:29 PM »
I usually just use 6 pound line on my marmishes. I use maxima perfection or whatever i can get my hands on and it usually works just fine. im tired of trying to thread the fine lines and 6 pound just seems good, i dont lose many fish at all and if you are using the wolfram jigs you dont need a really supple line because they fish so heavy. loop knot to the hook so they have some play and your set.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2007, 05:34 AM »
I have rods with 2lb , 4lb and 6 lb set main lines. I always put a leader on that is normally slightly lighter than the main line.

For my leaders, I'll use either # 14 or even # 20 barrel swivlels.  (They are the smallest I know of).  I purchased the # 20's at Cabela's and the 14's at Bass Pro Shops).

On the end of the leader I'll tie a "No Knot" or 'Easy Snap".

Split Rings are usually on the nose of my lures... including Hali's, etc/
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:45 PM »
I stricly use one pound test. The jigs sink very well and kinda seem to gravitate at the same time. That may make them seem more natural. But you will need a very very flimsy rod for one pound test.

Number one answer on the board!

Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.