Author Topic: Spikes  (Read 2363 times)

Offline icepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spikes
« on: Jan 25, 2007, 01:33 PM »
 Hey guys, I have been tip-up fishing for years now and this year I would like to try my hand at some jigging. I've been reading around and I keep seeing how people are using spikes. May seem like a silly question, but what exactly are spikes? Are they a waxworm? Do bait stores sell them as "spikes". If not what do they call them. They seem to be the bait of choice for many anglers. Thanks from the newbie to Jiggin.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spikes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2007, 01:36 PM »
Far as I know they are maggots.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Spikes are a fly larvae. waxies are a Bee Moth larvae.They are sold as spikes.    Ron
Bobberstop

Offline icepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:52 PM »
 Thanks

Offline bradh86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:45 PM »
they come in red or white.

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:13 AM »
I like waxworms better than spikes myself.  You can find them in a decent pet store.  People use them to feed pet snakes, lizards, etc.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2007, 03:35 PM »
Hey guys, I have been tip-up fishing for years now and this year I would like to try my hand at some jigging. I've been reading around and I keep seeing how people are using spikes. May seem like a silly question, but what exactly are spikes? Are they a waxworm? Do bait stores sell them as "spikes". If not what do they call them. They seem to be the bait of choice for many anglers. Thanks from the newbie to Jiggin.
some places do still call them maggots,had a little old lady that took over her husbands shop when he died and would just look at me cross eyed when i asked for spikes always had to say maggots :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:37 PM »
I use spikes, maggots, eurolarve, whatever you want to call them, they are the same thing.  There is a diffrence between waxies, & mousies.  I use them also.  As far as spikes, I order them through Vado's.  I just call them up, usually I just order the mix.  1000 at a time.  They come in regular white creamy, bronze, red, & blue green.  They last for about 6-8 weeks in a cold fridge I keep mine @ 33-35F (Easy if you are a service pipefitter like myself, keep a digital T-meter in there & adjust settings).  It's like $9 for 1000, they over night them to me in a day.  Last time it cost $7 for shipping, but the $16 total is still cheaper than $2.50 I spend per 50 @ the local bait shop, & they give a wide range of colors to choose from!  Go in with some buddies if you don't think you can use 1000 in a couple weeks!  You can order online, but I prefer just to call.  Very nice people to deal with!  763-784-6728, or 866-584-3474.

Offline billmwhite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2007, 07:37 PM »
i believe spikes are wasp larvae. any icefishing bait shop should know what they are.  use can use the name spikes.  waxworms are different.  both are good bait.  i use the whole year long.  you can buy them online wholesale thru  the Wholesale Bait Company in Hamilton Ohio and Jada Bait company.  you can do a search for both companies.

BMW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.