Author Topic: Fireline Crystal  (Read 8675 times)

Offline skeeter12

• IceShanty Rookie
Fireline Crystal
« on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:15 PM »
Have any of you tried the new fireline Crystal? What kind of results.  What size do you use for walleye?  Skeeter
Best bass and walleye boat cleaner headquarters - Cleanest site on the net

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
Re: Fireline Crystal
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:17 PM »
I havn't used it on the water yet, but it ties pretty good knots, and is really frikin strong, plus nearly impossible to find.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:22 PM »
I bought some 6 lb a few weeks ago. Only used it once but no fish. I will be picking up some more for my other ice rods. I didn't have any problems finding it though. 8)
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline skeeter12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:23 PM »
I was thinking of  8 or 10 # test for walleye what do you think?

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:28 PM »
I find got 6 # test because I use the same reel for trout to. 10# might is a bit to much IMO, you don't need it really. 8 would be a pretty good choice I think.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline skeeter12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2006, 05:32 PM »
I was really leaning to 8 and you just made up my mind.  Skeeter

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2006, 06:21 PM »
I  got some 1lb and 2lb for pannies used the one pound jigging over the side ofa  boat for bluegills and after about 10 mins of missing bites with the crab i threw the rod down and went back too 3lb mono Ill see how it works with heavier jigs through the ice.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2006, 07:12 PM »
I have a spool of 2 pound test and a spool of 6 pound.

2 pound for pannies and rainbows, and the six is for lakers.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2006, 04:22 PM »
I bought a small spool of the stuff for tip-up leaders for my local trout lake.  Tied a few up with #6 hooks, I guess it will be better than the 10/2 Power Pro leaders I was using, but we'll have to see.
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

dwayne

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Does the crystal soak in water like the traditional colors or is it waterproof? 

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:47 AM »
I'm sure it will freeze up like any braid when it's real cold!  Just have to use it in the heated shack or outside on warmer days, same as always.  I generally jig in the fish trap with the buddy heater cranking on cold days anyway to get out of the wind and not have to deal with wearing gloves. 

You kind a killed it for me right there,  if it's like other braids then it will freeze on the spool when I move out of my warm portable and that gets annoying real fast. Probably just use it on nice, warm days

pinche

« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:51 AM »
Ive been using the crystal for about 4 months I like the feel and strength of the line , I used the 10 lb test for fishing bass this year and I do like it . I have not tried and on the ice yet so I cannot offer any advice there.

O yeah It "frays" and turns "white" after a while of use. Overall Id say if you like braided lines give it a try Its the best braided line I have used .

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2006, 12:44 PM »
Where did you guys find the lighter crystal line at?????? :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:06 PM »
awsome thanks i want to get some of the light stuff :tipup:

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:09 PM »
The stuff is sick.  I've never seen line so incredibly thin and strong I couldn't break it. 
you got the 1 pound stuff

pinche

« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:17 PM »
Yeah 1lb, it's literally like spider web thin :o  Tiny tungsten jigs should just plummet to the bottom now :tipup: 
slip thats 1lb with or stregnth ?

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:28 PM »
It is 1 LB in strength and .25 LB in diameter.  Very thin line and is hard to get through a jig and tie with my old eyes.  Hope I don't have to re-tie at night with a lantern! :o

pinche

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:30 PM »
you cant break the 1# test with you hand ?

flockshot

« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:41 PM »
i just can bring myself on the super line band wagon..i know it has its benifits...im in no way saying anything about that..i just hate cutting tag ends and what not..sounds stupid...but thats the real reason i cant stand the stuff.

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2006, 02:51 PM »
was in wal art yesterday. they had lots of crystal fire line from 1 lb. to 1o

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:58 AM »
was in wal art yesterday. they had lots of crystal fire line from 1 lb. to 1o
What walmart i bought the 2lb but i cant find the 1 pound stuff anywhere!!!!!!!!! The 2lb is amazing you just cant break it!!! :tipup: :tipup: I want the 1 pound where is it????????????? ;D

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Im having a hard time finding the thinner stuff, all my locals carry the heavier lines (i bought 4lb), I dont know why they can order light line, I guess they see the diamiter and go with the heavier lines

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:15 PM »
In my opinion 90% of all fishermen use line that is WAY too heave for anything they would ever catch.  I never use anything over 4lb for walleye, and 2lb for panfish.  For the past two years I've been using the same 2/4 fireline on one rod for walleye and panfish, and have yet to brake off a fish.  I've caught close to 200 walleye and 50+ perch with that line.  I'll have to replace it with the crystal once the ice gets here.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2006, 03:14 PM »
Actually Fireline Crystal, like regular Fireline is a copolymer line and is fused together, not wrapped like braided line. I have had the crystal line out a couple of times this winter and it seems to work just as good as the regular.Fireline does not absorb moisture like regular mono, and it is not uncommon to get 3-4 years out of the same spool of line, even when it turns white, I have not experienced it losing any strength.I use it for two years and then repool it with the inside now outside, works great.
I gotta chubby

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2006, 06:33 PM »
i  was in walmart today in massena n.y. they have 1  2  and3 pound test

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2006, 05:26 PM »
I found this stuff at Walmart after reading this post.  It seems incredibly strong for its diameter but I didn't like the fact that it seemed very visible compared to the other ice lines out there.  I don't know if it is better once it gets wet or not.  You could always use a leader but that is a pain.  I ended up getting some MicroIce line instead. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2006, 12:49 PM »
anyone know of any stores near buffalo,ny or erie,pa that has the 1 pound crystal i really want to get it. Thanks :tipup:

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:26 PM »
I like the braids for sight fishing for panfish, and use Power Pro on all my heavier perch, walleye, pike and laker set ups.  For tightlining, depending on the size of the jig, its hard to be beat mono.

Was at the Gander Mtn in Taylor yesterday, wrapped the line around my finger, pulled the finger out, and the Fireline Crystal looked like a curly pigs tail.  It kept the wrap,  so I ll pass and stick to the Power Pro.
MASON

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:38 PM »
we sell the 1,2,3,4,6, and 8 pound fireline ice in crystal at bass pro. I was surprised at how difficult it was to break the 1 pound by hand, mainly because it was digging. after i tied the line to the handle of a five gallon bucket i realized two things. It really is about 1 pound test. and it takes about double the number of loops to get a knot to hold without slipping. i tried the clinch, improved clinch, trilene knot, uniknot, and the polymar knot. all needed aditional loops to hold. and i did it about five times per knot because it was a monday and i was bored as hell.
also if you look at the actual diameters of the line you can see that the four pound fireline is thicker than 1 pound mono. the three pound fireline is closer to one pound diameter. they overclaim on the diameter a little bit, just look at the diameter in inches or milimeters. overall still good line.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2006, 06:30 AM »
What walmart i bought the 2lb but i cant find the 1 pound stuff anywhere!!!!!!!!! The 2lb is amazing you just cant break it!!! :tipup: :tipup: I want the 1 pound where is it????????????? ;D

Got mine at Gander Mountain in Henrietta--should have it in the Buffalo store.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.