Author Topic: bluegill tackle box???  (Read 16189 times)

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
bluegill tackle box???
« on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:30 PM »
I know this is a long shot, but im just starting out gill fishing, I have some lures but im just wondering if someone could post some pics of there jig box so I have a idea of where to start for lures

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: bluegill tackle box???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:56 AM »
I don't have any pics, but I've been using a lot of Fiskas Wolfram jigs (3mm and 4mm). I tend to use more horizontal or 45* jigs as opposed to vertical, but that's just me. Anything with "glow" is great to have for murky water or night fishing. With as cheap as they are just start buying some and see if they work.

Don't make the same mistake I did when I got started. Stay away from the big lunky chunky looking jigs, generally speaking smaller is better. Also get a wide assortment of colors, some days the fish like dark jigs, some days it's bright colors that get the job done.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:51 AM »
I agree with some of the posts above. 99% of the time when fishing for gills I use a smallish jig (i tend to prefer chartreuse and then orange if they arent hitting that but i carry a variety of colors) with either a couple of spikes on it or a wax worm.  This year I have purchased some micro plastics and will be trying those as well.  Get an assortment of small jigs, various colors.  Maybe a few small spoons too and you should be good.  Cheers,Chris

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:59 PM »
X2
Never to many short poles

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:57 PM »
I also like chartreuse and orange, but would add that I steadily catch fish on a dead stick on a large size 8 horizontal jig tipped with wax worms or spikes. On a negative day it will often catch more than anything I do with a jigging stick. ??? It goes out every time I fish!

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:06 PM »
The pictures didn't turn out great, but. My favorite baits are rat-finkee, diamond jig, fat boy and Lindy bug. I too like chartreuse but also glow pink, green or white.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:19 PM »
The pictures didn't turn out great, but. My favorite baits are rat-finkee, diamond jig, fat boy and Lindy bug. I too like chartreuse but also glow pink, green or white.

What box is that? I really like it!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:40 PM »
The top one is a small ice armor. I like that is has compartments for plastics, so I can have jigs and plastics together. But the small jigs I use seem to fall out of the foam more often then I would like. Sometimes when I open it there are a number of loose jigs. The other one is  a Perrine #60 fly box. I've that for a long time and it works great.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Good deal. Been looking for a new box for my plastics and jigs.
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:30 PM »

My go to is tungsten and plastics... or small spoons ie. Slender spoon
Fish On'

Offline TIP DOWN BUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:07 PM »
I agree with SKAMPO. If I'm goin for bluegill I use a horizontal jig 9 times out of 10. I like the ice worm jigs. Pinks greens oranges glow blacks and browns is what I use depending on the water clarity.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2014, 11:31 PM »
i would try to have a wide variety of lures at hand, but the 3 general styles i use most often are (in order of most common usage): vertical jigs, horizontal jigs, and spoons.

i use vertical jigs for searching, as well as triggering aggressive gills that aren't quite willing to hit a spoon. most of my horizontal jigs are 1/32 oz. or heavier.

the horizontal jigs get brought out whenever i'm fishing plastics, or when the 'gills get more finicky. they're usually 1/16 oz. and smaller, down to 1/100 oz.

spoons are for when i can get away with big baits, especially for larger fish. i have some tiny kastmasters in the 1/24 oz. size, up to 1/8 oz. Northland rattle spoons. my favorites though are the Lindy Frostee jigging spoons, wide and flat, but lightweight. you get a bigger profile with less weight for really finessing bigger gills.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2014, 12:37 PM »
Here's a few to look at:

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2015, 12:25 AM »
There are a few in here that work; most of my plastics aren't visible. As a rule I like horizontals in 12-16, but sometimes a flashy spoon like a Kastmaster, Phoebe, Slender Spoon etc works well. There are times when I like verticles and I usually have a couple rigged up like a Demon, or Bros Blood worm.

Offline THEiceman49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:52 PM »

Offline Susky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks for posting.

I'm getting the sense that for gills most guys prefer a horizontal or 45 jig versus a verticle?? 

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:22 AM »
I use a horizontal jig most of the time, but that's mainly due to the fact that way back (1993) when I started using a Vexilar they showed up easier then a vertical jig. With improved technology that's not the case anymore but old habits are hard to break.

Offline BassinBiologist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2015, 04:44 PM »
Great thread!! Definitely tungsten with plastic is my GO TO. I've been using the Fiskas Tungsten jigs but any will do. I'm a big fan of the Berkley Atomic Plastics. Laced with PowerBait they work well. Although, maggots are always hard to beat.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2015, 03:29 PM »
Theiceman what are the jigs called in the lower box with the bulging eyes (look like a hammerhead shark). Don't think i've seen them before.

Offline TIP DOWN BUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Theiceman what are the jigs called in the lower box with the bulging eyes (look like a hammerhead shark). Don't think i've seen them before.
.  They look like northland bro bugs. I actually just tried to order some and got a call today saying there discontinued. So he said he had some other stuff I could swap them out for. Got to call them back tomorrow.

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Thanks.

Offline TIP DOWN BUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2015, 03:04 PM »
  Just got off the phone with northland. It was just the color bro bug I ordered that was discontinued so you could probly still find them around. Just had to clear that up.

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2015, 04:12 PM »
My go to is a hali spoon they are big but they just simply work. My next choice is one by Lindy can't think of the name but it is thin and long then the automic fire ant and lastly I'd use a small tungsten. I got 4 jig poles that never get the type of lure changed on them one has a hali one has a sweedish pimple one has a jigging rap and one has a jig. I mostly fish for blugill and usually will use each rod at some point throughout the day.

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:18 AM »
I have a load of jigs. I like going with the more known jig companies other than the ones no one talks about. More spendy but its worth it. I have around $75 invested in Clam jigs alone, glow red dingle drops work the best for me for panfish. I also have a lot of rat finkees and northland and lindy brand jigs.
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline sdatver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2016, 09:20 AM »

I know this is an old post but what kind of tackle Box is green one in the middle?

My go to is tungsten and plastics... or small spoons ie. Slender spoon

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2016, 03:01 PM »

It looks like the color of the flambeau ice series product.
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:54 PM »
VMC tungsten chandalier jigs have been my go to this year. Dont bother with the cheap jigs. Spend an extra buck and get some quality jigs such as clam, northland, lindy and VMC. Cheap ones dont do the trick for me
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.