The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: High Fall Rains???  (Read 1302 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
High Fall Rains???
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:54 AM »
Years ago I had a biologist friend tell me that in years with lots of fall rain, the gamefish bite would be off for the ice fishing season.  At first a nonbeliever but since I've actually started paying attention to it, there may be some truth as this season has been real slow as was last.  Last time out I drilled a hole in 6' of water, laid down, and could not see bottom, the water is that murked up.  The bait I could only see about 3' down. Going to try fishing some sets higher up in the water column than normal this Sunday and see if that helps.  Any thoughts? Opinions?  Suggestions? Witnessed similar thing?:tipup:   

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: High Fall Rains???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:05 AM »
In my humble opinion, if the water is murky then the fishing will be off.  If it is clear it should be consistent no matter how much rain. 
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:13 AM »
In my humble opinion, if the water is murky then the fishing will be off.  If it is clear it should be consistent no matter how much rain. 

Definitely something to it I believe, as the murkyness seems to be an unwelcome by-product of the rains far more than it to be an issue of flushing in additional feed, IMHO.

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:23 AM »
I like the theory, but then why has my best day of ice fishing been in the middle of a down poor? when the water was soo murcky that the only time i saw anything under the ice when the fish was right at the hole

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:39 AM »
I like the theory, but then why has my best day of ice fishing been in the middle of a down poor? when the water was soo murcky that the only time i saw anything under the ice when the fish was right at the hole

Probably unrelated Sticks, I too have had some great ice fishing days in the rain but felt that had more to due with pressure changes. (fish activity)

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Definitely something to it I believe, as the murkyness seems to be an unwelcome by-product of the rains far more than it to be an issue of flushing in additional feed, IMHO.

I can tell you that trusted friends fished Long Lake this year opening day.  They fished in murky water under pretty idea weather conditions and had very slow fishing (and these guys are good).  Their observations were backed up by the biologists who stated that the fish catch rates improved as the water clarity got better.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Interesting thread.  Last ice season ended up OK for me, but the bite was strange and inconsistent.  A lot of mid-day fish, some days with great action (double digits for me alone), yet quite a few el skunkos as well.  So the average catch per trip was not unusual, but on a given day I rarely caught that "average"....it was at either the high or low end.

This year hasn't been kind to me on the ice.  Operating with 1 good arm is never a good place to start, but I have fished some through the generosity of others cutting holes.  Yes, the action seems to have been slow.  I try to time my trips with fronts, etc., but my timing has been a bit off.  The fronts moved slower than expected, it didn't cloud up and stayed bright, etc.  We haven't had a lot of dark days. When we have, good reports come in.  Jan 1st, 6th, and 19th were good days for many.  If I get the timing right, and the bite is still slow that may say something.  On the other hand, if I ice 15 togue, that would quickly change how I look at the season.  Here's hoping :tipup:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:22 AM »
It is interesting Jim C. and JDK, we think alot alike on this issue.  I know for me, the waters I've fished this winter look just like it did last winter and both were considerably off in terms of catch rate.  The winter prior was a good one, and the fall had been quite dry if I remember correctly. :tipup:

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:47 PM »
OK, I put some more thought into this thread and talked with a few different people about it too.  So heres what I have come up with.   I always grew up hearing that the worst fishing was right after a rain storm, which I have found to be true but with in a few days the fishing is back to the way it was before the storm.  In talking to other folks everyone seems to be on the same page with that part. BUT no one feels that a wet fall has made winter fishing worse,  In waters that are murkey(sp) the fish seem to thrive a little bit more and willing to come out and strike at an object or a bait due to the ability to move around with out being seen as easily, but the same works for the bait is that a little bait may not be able to be seen as easily due to the murkiness of the water.  All in all I have had pretty good luck fishing this year and seem to be on track with my last couple of years.  But we have had a few rainy days that I have fished that will stick in my mind for quiet some time.

Offline pfd168

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Living the Dream !
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:51 PM »
I have found that the fish bite better on stormy days than clear calm days

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:53 PM »
but the same works for the bait is that a little bait may not be able to be seen as easily due to the murkiness of the water. 

;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.