Author Topic: Underwater camera. What to buy?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
Underwater camera. What to buy?
« on: Jul 09, 2023, 01:49 PM »
I started looking around for a underwater camera, but I have no idea of where to begin. I am mostly concearned with the image quality and battery life. What cameras do you folks use? What would you recommend? What would you stay away from. Appreciate any suggestions.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Underwater camera. What to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2023, 08:51 AM »
I am a Aqua Vu fanboy ..I have a Micro 5 and a Micro(believe a 3" screen) both with DVR since around 2015. Both do work quite well but conditions dictate what you will be able to see...water clarity ...cloud cover...snow cover.. clarity of the ice all are factors in how far you can see . Depending on what your fishing style is larger may be better as far as screen size . I tend to use mine after drilling my holes ..I will scout them by positioning the camera at 45 deg down angle...quick spin the camera and mark any holes that have structure and/or fish. Features to look for is a screen cover..Infra Red lights that can be turned on/off ...light that can be turned on/off...a good cable management system. Also camera positioning can be troublesome so you will have to figure out what works for you ...some folks use  small tri pods etc .

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=372125.msg4016616#msg4016616
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2023, 10:54 AM »
Thanks, I will check them out.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2023, 08:47 AM »
Don't know if you already committed to something or if you are still looking for input, so here goes. I have an Eyoyo ($60) and a Marcum Recon 5+ ($300) (now I believe it's called the Pursuit+) (don't think they make the Recon 5+ anymore). If all you want is an underwater camera, I would go with the Eyoyo, that was what I bought first and it has done an excellent job, have used it for over 4 years and haven't had any problems with it. Last year I decided I wanted one with all the bells and whistles (direction, temp, record) but I didn't want a bulky unit so I got the Recon 5+. It does everything it is supposed to do but really the only feature I tend to use is the direction and for the price I just don't think it is justified. Camera wise, I don't see any difference between the two. So I would say decide what you need and go from there. I think I still use the Eyoyo more than the Marcum but maybe that will change this year.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2023, 01:30 PM »
We have a vexilar one.  It works good but we hardly actually use it.  If you dont already have a flasher or something similar spend your money there first, it is way more convenient to use.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2023, 04:59 PM »
I bought a MICRO REVOLUTION 5.0 HD this summer on sale for $345. The HD camera performs very well compared to the standard camera on their basic micro. It’s an all self contained unit plug in it to charge and that’s it. Small enough for hole hoping. Would actually fit in the front pocket of your ice fishing jacket.

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2023, 07:02 PM »
I already have a flasher, just looking for something I can use on slow days when I am marking fish, to see how the fish are responding to the lure that  am using at the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.