Author Topic: Slip bobber setup?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
Slip bobber setup?
« on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:15 PM »
What is a good slip bobber setup for using a minnow for crappie and perch? 

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
Re: Slip bobber setup?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:20 PM »
I used to use the open water thill bobber stops until they kept getting caught on the bail...I switched to spring bobbers you insert at end of eye and haven't looked back...freezing isn't an issue as long as you're in your shanty

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:32 PM »
I still use the string and bobber. Like Rebelfisher said though it will get hung up when you are dropping your line. I never use the beads that come with the string, just the string and bobber.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:32 PM »
I like the little round thill ones, the smallest size. That bobber and a #BB splitshot works perfect.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:57 PM »
I gave up on the bright heavy bright string bobber stops. In the summer they were getting caught in my guides. I found some real fine string stops at my local bait shop that do not get caught even in snake guides on a fly rod. They also stay tight on the line.
They should work fine on smaller guides etc that we use ice fishing.

Offline -Chris-

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There's no bad day for ice fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:04 PM »
I prefer a slip bobber setup for ice fishing as I don't like spring bobber setups; however, they can be a pain though if you're fishing in below freezing temps outside of a shelter as the bobber and little bead from the slip stop freezes so you have to blow in the bobber so it slides up the line when dropped back down the hole.  I fish in my shack the majority of the time though so it's not much of an issue for me.  I use a Thill Ice' N Fly #3 bobber with a string bobber stop and bead.

Good luck fishing!  :icefish:

-Chris

Offline walleye jerker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Ice buster's are the way to go,every things under the water, means no ice up,plus their very sensitive.

Offline Iggyloo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always ready to go!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:22 PM »
I like the thin bobber with a plastic coated alligator clip on a short wire. Clip where you want on the line and wrap the line a couple times going outward and then clip it again. When you set the hook the bobber normally pops off. If it doesn't it's a quick little tug and it's off.

Offline KevinWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Made this vid up quick tonight...sorry for poor angles and quality, but you should get the idea.

http://youtu.be/qHsA2aIZCS4

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:32 PM »
X2 on the ice busters.  Plus you can take them off and put them on without taking your hook/jig off.... when ice starts building on my line i tend to take the bobber off, let the line go down the hole until you get to the stop, then re-attaching the bobber.

Offline eyefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You can never make up for a day of missed fishing
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:38 PM »
X3 on the ice busters.  These are the foam bobbers with same principle as slip bobber. They are a slip bobber, but the line does not go straight thru them.  It only goes thru the bottom so to speak.   On and off very east with the plastic cutout.   as said earlier, they do not freeze up.   And they are very inexpensive.

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:39 PM »
I used the Ice Buster bobbers for  years until last winter I tried the Venom Floats. Got rid of my Ice Busters and use strictly Venom's from now on. Great system. Adjustable sensitivity and you can also get them in glow. Won't ice up either. Just Google Venom Floats and have a look.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:46 PM »
I used the Ice Buster bobbers for  years until last winter I tried the Venom Floats. Got rid of my Ice Busters and use strictly Venom's from now on. Great system. Adjustable sensitivity and you can also get them in glow. Won't ice up either. Just Google Venom Floats and have a look.

Just checked the venoms out and ordered 5. Look great!

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:31 PM »
X3 for ice bustets but going to get som venoms and try them also like rod and bobs but hard to find
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:44 PM »
i love using slip knots bobbers in my permy!!
Honda, walleye, perch, jiffy, can't beat me!, the best, Frabill, frozen water, fish fry, pike, bass, tip up, Vexilar, Clam, John Deere, Eskimo, Aqua Vu, Mr. Heater, Monster Energy, steak.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:27 PM »
Ice buster's are the way to go,every things under the water, means no ice up,plus their very sensitive.
X2

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:40 AM »
they are good to, they sometimes freeze up tho when fishing out side
Honda, walleye, perch, jiffy, can't beat me!, the best, Frabill, frozen water, fish fry, pike, bass, tip up, Vexilar, Clam, John Deere, Eskimo, Aqua Vu, Mr. Heater, Monster Energy, steak.

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:03 PM »
If your running this slip bobber setup on a deadstick do you leave your bail open or closed?
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:47 PM »
If your running this slip bobber setup on a deadstick do you leave your bail open or closed?

If I'm paying attention I leave it closed, most slip bobber situations allow for a little reaction time once they start hitting the bait. If I'm shooting the bull with buddies... I'll leave it open just in case, lost too many rods by watching my idiot buddies' shenanigans  ::)
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline Perch tugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I just orderd some Venom Floats I will see how they work for me.  They look like they should be good.

Offline Old Crow Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Ice busters on my dead stick .......... Cut back to nutrual or just barely positive buoyancy
Set the hook till their eyes cross

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Ice busters all the way! Venoms look cool though!

Go Beavers!

Offline mcsquinty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Smart stop micro bobber stops

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.