Author Topic: Wide one inferno leaks air  (Read 1520 times)

Offline higbee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wide one inferno leaks air
« on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Hello all.
? does anyone else have problems with the wind blowing in on the sides at the bottom?

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wide one inferno leaks air
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:20 PM »
There’s definitely quite the gap there. It hasn’t really bothered me yet since I haven’t been out in much wind, but I will be coming up with a solution. Thinking about putting a grommet in the fabric and fixing something inside the sled to run it through and clip it on the outside.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:39 PM »
I have the Wide 1 too and noticed the wind coming through near the bottom. I had my heater going (Mr. Heater/Cooker) so I didn't have an issue. If anything it was almost too warm. I suppose if you had enough snow on the ice you could pack snow over the skirting that's there. Of course if you flip it back that shoots the snow idea. Possibly sew or velcro an additional flap of material to the bottom if it is too much air. At least if you Velcro it you wouldn't have to put it on unless you really need it on a windy day.   Lou

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:40 PM »
no flips are fully windproof.jmo

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:49 PM »
no flips are fully windproof.jmo

This is more of a design flaw then it is not being windproof. This bad boy has some gaps close to 6 inches where the fabric comes off the sled and the flaps start.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2018, 06:57 PM »
you should see my fx100 where it velcros to the sled.lol huge holes that I have to stuff a glove in each side and that's barely enough to plug them.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:15 PM »
I pretty much fixed this. I sewed a pretty hefty earth magnet(1x1 1/2in.) onto the skirt a couple of inches in from the back of the sled.Then I attached a 2x2in piece of heavy tin onto the sled so it lined up with the magnet. Once I'm ready to fish I grab the skirt inside and pull it in until I hear the magnet click in place. Or you can push the sides in from outside and go in through the door.

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:04 PM »
I went to a canvas guy and added a snap to the sled and a catch to the canvas like the ones on a boat canvas.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:50 PM »
Can you post pics of fixes?  Plan on getting a Wide One myself.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:52 PM »
My HT 1-man has always leaked air right at the back of the sled where my feet would freeze at times. There is a sleeve of material I thought about running a bungee cord through to help pull the fabric right to the shed. I just haven't done it yet.
jbird68

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Can you post pics of fixes?  Plan on getting a Wide One myself.
I would also appreciate the pics, love my inferno though, quality seems top notch

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:29 PM »
We're all trying to cut off this extra air flow, but maybe we are setting ourselves up for disaster. Maybe this little extra air flow keeps us from overdosing on carbon monoxide if you use some type of gas heater in your hut. Just a thought. But I do realize that cold air particularly on your feet doesn't feel very good. Be careful how air tight your shanty is.   Lou

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Just a question.......are you making sure that the front poles are sliding all the way down in the front slot? If not they will keep the skirt up.

I used my new one for the first time the other day....I put snow on the flaps and didn't have any breeze

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:50 AM »
We're all trying to cut off this extra air flow, but maybe we are setting ourselves up for disaster. Maybe this little extra air flow keeps us from overdosing on carbon monoxide if you use some type of gas heater in your hut. Just a thought. But I do realize that cold air particularly on your feet doesn't feel very good. Be careful how air tight your shanty is.   Lou

There are vents up top for air flow.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:16 AM »
if you dont mind a little weight, a sock filled with sand can be laid on the flap/sled/ground spot, to keep the gap closed
I was thinking of the twist lock boat canvas thing too
Get bit!

Offline higbee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:11 PM »
on my homemade wide flip i added 2 strips of 2" velcro on each side to seal this area. I would have thought for the money this would have been taken care of on the inferno. ???

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:14 PM »
on my homemade wide flip i added 2 strips of 2" velcro on each side to seal this area. I would have thought for the money this would have been taken care of on the inferno. ???

I believe that like most huts they figure guys are going to scoop snow an put on the flaps. I like the Inferno for a one man......the issue is a pretty simple fix.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:18 PM »
I believe that like most huts they figure guys are going to scoop snow an put on the flaps. I like the Inferno for a one man......the issue is a pretty simple fix.

I hope they wouldn't assume that. Im buying mine to be more mobile. Not really interested in popping 60 holes and then having to shovel snow (if there even is any...) around the outside of it every time I find fish in a different area. I like the velcro ideas. Will have to see when I finally buy one.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:25 PM »
I hope they wouldn't assume that. Im buying mine to be more mobile. Not really interested in popping 60 holes and then having to shovel snow (if there even is any...) around the outside of it every time I find fish in a different area. I like the velcro ideas. Will have to see when I finally buy one.

If/when a guy does a lot of moving, just be smart about setting up. The flaps are plenty long and work fine. Just setup so the breeze blows into the front of the shack not the side or back. Then the breeze will push the flaps down. It's when you have a cross breeze or breeze from behind that the wind can get under the flaps.

Don't get me wrong the Velcro or putting earth magnets on would be a nice easy quick helpful fix to keep the flaps tight.

I've got this same issue in my 2/3 man voyager. Since I have more room in it I'll pull a flap in an set a tackle box or bucket on them to keep the flaps down and tight.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:43 PM »
So what's everyone doing for a heater and lights?

I'm gonna try a stand with the golf cat heater. If it doesn't work....maybe a portable or little buddy?

For light I've got two 3ft mr ice led rope lights I put in my voyager and they work really well honking to a battery. So I'm gonna try a flat coated led rope light and figured I could run a batter for it under my seat in the net basket.

I got two different 1lb stands to try on the golf cat heater.....anyone have experiance with them?

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:46 PM »
So what's everyone doing for a heater and lights?

I'm gonna try a stand with the golf cat heater. If it doesn't work....maybe a portable or little buddy?

For light I've got two 3ft mr ice led rope lights I put in my voyager and they work really well honking to a battery. So I'm gonna try a flat coated led rope light and figured I could run a batter for it under my seat in the net basket.

I got two different 1lb stands to try on the golf cat heater.....anyone have experiance with them?

Start a new thread this is off topic

Offline higbee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2018, 07:44 PM »
It appears the magnet might be the best bet. I dont believe the tarp sides can be permanently sealed to sled sides as it doesn't allow the the flip action. I too do not want to pile snow as I bought this sled to be mobile. I will keep everyone up to date as I modify. Thanks to all.
Also, has anyone added their own runners to the bottom?

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2018, 08:02 PM »
I'm thinking bungee cords at the end of the flaps. Somehow, hook it to the side of the sled. Then when you flip the tent down the bungee stretches and snaps into place when fully deployed. Idk. Just a thought.
jbird68

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2018, 05:01 AM »
Thought I read somewhere someone just sewed a small chain all the way around the bottom. The weight of the chain held the flaps down..
Jig em up!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2018, 07:51 AM »
on all my flipovers if there is no snow I take the flaps/snow skirt and roll them inside and set my vex on the front material my scoop on the back,then on the other side my heater and my thermos.for the gaps in the sides I will shove a mitten in each side.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:05 AM »
I ALWAYS USED A COUPLE OF 2X4'S OR SIT THE AUGER AND SPUD ON MINE.
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:44 AM »
It appears the magnet might be the best bet. I dont believe the tarp sides can be permanently sealed to sled sides as it doesn't allow the the flip action. I too do not want to pile snow as I bought this sled to be mobile. I will keep everyone up to date as I modify. Thanks to all.
Also, has anyone added their own runners to the bottom?

On the side skirts you have to have something that comes loose when you lift the front up. When you flip it down a small tug on the flap and the magnet attaches itself to the tub again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.