Author Topic: Vexilar FL-12 problem.  (Read 1780 times)

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar FL-12 problem.
« on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:49 PM »
I have a Vexilar FL-12 which I purchased about 8 or so years ago. Last time out my son went to use it after returning from a trip to northern Iowa and the LCD screen colors were spinning when turned on. After turning it off and trying again there were no colors present. Called Vexilar and the tech said it sounded like a battery issue; so I put a freshly charged battery on it and took it out this past weekend. It immediately began spinning again with colors present. Wondering if anyone has had this issue also, can offer a fix or if had one fixed wondering approximate cost and the problem that was found.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar FL-12 problem.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:02 PM »
Check all of your wires and connections still sounds like a voltage issue.Vexilar service is first class they know there product and if you need to have it serviced they are fast and inexpensive.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Thanks youngblood; tech sounded knowledgeable; just wondered if anyone had a similar issue; has worked great to this point.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:35 PM »
Had a similar problem only days ago. The ground wire was hanging on to the connector by only three strands. Cut, stripped, attached new connector and now problem fixed. Hope this helps.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:48 PM »
You said a freshly charged battery.Are you sure the battery is good ? Check your battery with a meter if you don't have one you could run a couple of wires off you car battery to see if it works properly.If not your brushes are worn and need to be replaced by Vex. Minimal charge.I have had the same problem but it was so long ago but they are the only problems I have ever had with a Vex.8 years is a lot of hours if you fish much.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:57 PM »
I do fish a lot of hours; going to call Vexilar tomorrow and talk with them again. Guessing the 1st battery could have been bad but the 2nd was brand new and freshly charged; thinking I may have another issue; possibly the brushes.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:33 AM »
This past weekend my buddy had a fully charged battery ...connected it his FL18...nope not work ...played with the connection some ...worked .

low battery mark 1:40.....brushes mark 3:33

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing these videos; very informative.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:40 PM »
should be 45$ for their tune-up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.