The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: skunked at crystal Saturday  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Big-Jake

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shackless wonder
skunked at crystal Saturday
« on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:02 AM »
I got some good advice - I liked my location and it is an easy lake to access. Thanks for the tips everyone. but no fish were iced by me saturday.

jake
A friend will come and bail you out of jail...But a good friend will be sitting beside you in the cell yelling holy sh** that was fun!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
Re: skunked at crystal Saturday
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:29 AM »
yup been out there 4 times now.. el skunko.. 3 words of advice for the LURKERS and those not permanatly located out there  " TRY ANOTHER LAKE"!! :%$#!:
where were you located bignasty?  Should have some over to the big red shack to say hello to another Ice shanty member.. I was hollering on the radio channel 7 but no one was out there.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:32 AM »
  I was hollering on the radio channel 7 but no one was out there.

We were all at Horne......outta range  ;)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:34 AM »
We were all at Horne......outta range  ;)
haha  well seemed like Horne wasn't that hot for fish anyways...  seems like they dumped smelts in there?? if you ask me thats DUMB, especially when you wan ta productive derby.. ???
you fishing today fool?  I am post call, but slept last night at the hospital, pretty slow, looking to maybe wet a line for a bit

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:58 AM »
haha  well seemed like Horne wasn't that hot for fish anyways...  seems like they dumped smelts in there?? if you ask me thats DUMB, especially when you wan ta productive derby.. ???
you fishing today fool?  I am post call, but slept last night at the hospital, pretty slow, looking to maybe wet a line for a bit
dukblaster.....check your pm.

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:10 AM »

it was pretty slow...I managed one bass.   didn't see much for flags around the area we fished.  biggest brookie was under 3lbs.   there are some big stockies in there.......not a bad place to fish for the next few weeks, I bet.

I doubt I'll make it out today........gotta get a bunch of stuff done before I head to moosehead on thursday.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:13 PM »
yup been out there 4 times now.. el skunko.. 3 words of advice for the LURKERS and those not permanatly located out there  " TRY ANOTHER LAKE"!! :%$#!:
where were you located bignasty?  Should have some over to the big red shack to say hello to another Ice shanty member.. I was hollering on the radio channel 7 but no one was out there.
A group of us fish it two week ago, GearJammer got lots of flags but no fish, the rest of us got 1 flag each, no fish. We tried it again last Sunday, no flags no fish. I agree with you TRY ANOTHER LAKE"!!

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:29 PM »

Maybe you should tell the biologist to stop stocking sebago with smelt.  The salmon fishing in the spring is terrible.  The trout fishing at sabbathday and the splake and salmon at trickey is also terrible.  I must have been confused when i read your post. 

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:35 PM »

Maybe you should tell the biologist to stop stocking sebago with smelt.  The salmon fishing in the spring is terrible.  The trout fishing at sabbathday and the splake and salmon at trickey is also terrible.  I must have been confused when i read your post. 

you see a lot of people catching anything at trickey lately No, sabbathday has been slow from what I see on here...  sebago is hit or miss, especially with out a strong spring run off, and there is already a tons and balls of smelt schools in sebago, they fatten the fish up in the winter when the surface food supply and runoff is slowed by ice, but makes it hard to catch fish in heavily "baited" ponds through the ice...  I just would have thought more fish would have been caught at your derby with all those people out there, but if extra smelts were dumped in there before the derby then that could have added to the slower day..  cool you got broods in there. 

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:44 PM »
I would agree, but the quality of the fish is getting worse.  There were 4  brown trout that were over 19 inches  caught this year that should have weighed over 3.5 lbs.  I just think that creating a smelt population will help the quality of the fish.  Ive fished the lake since i could walk and have always caught quality fish in there and plenty of them.  Then the smelt had a disease and died off.  There were both pin smelt and jack smelt.  Lots of fish over 24 inches used to be caught there.  Not any more, even before the derby

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:48 PM »
seems like a ecosystem problem.  I remember fishing as a kid and catching huge bass and stuff at my parents in RI, now those same ponds are overgrown messes.
Have you noticed the water quality change?  Any new development around there filling in stream inputs or creating runoff into the lake?
Kinda too bad  :-\  I love hearing stories from the 60+ year old crowd that comes into the hospital and tell me about the fish they used to catch around here and the Huge bucks they used to shoot... Makes me wish of the good ol' days :tipup: keep up the good work trying to rebuild your fishery over there.., I wonder if some of the money from the derby could go to helping with clean up around the pond and stocking. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.