Author Topic: Blackstrap 2018/19  (Read 55537 times)

gman51

Re: Blackstrap 2018/19
« Reply #330 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08:11 AM »
spent a few hours yesterday afternoon enjoying the weather catching perch 1 jumbo the rest were that 8-9" range kept 4 and caught this whitey that was in the crowd. ice is going fast but should get a few more walkable trips in. looking forward to Diefenbaker tomorrow.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #331 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08:23 PM »
We were still able to drive on the North end this morning.  Tried a few spots and then headed to the South end and were still able to drive on and off
of the North boat launch.  Should still be ok for tomorrow, but that might be it.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #332 on: Mar 22, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Anyone going out tomorrow Saturday and just walking on? 
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline timbertomjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #333 on: Mar 22, 2019, 09:07 PM »
Drove by the strap today. not much snow cover south end. I personally would take a quad. tomorrow temp+9 and windy.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #334 on: Mar 22, 2019, 09:14 PM »
A buddy of mine wants to go I’d just be content going to the North end and walking on and pop a few holes.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #335 on: Mar 23, 2019, 07:40 PM »
I haven't been out for  couple days, just wondering if there was any traffic out today, or just foot traffic???

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #336 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:06 PM »
We drove on at the north end (dam) lots of trucks today.  Fishing was slow marked a lot of fish couldn’t get them to bite.  CO’s came around and checked us out and chit chatted for a bit.  Was a nice day to be out on the ice!
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #337 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Thanks Blue.  That's why I gave them a couple days off.  They are there, but not biting.  Going to give it a try on the South
end, hoping we can drive on.  Anyone see any trucks on the South side????

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #338 on: Mar 24, 2019, 10:20 PM »
Trucks were driving on today, marked a few but no takers.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #339 on: Mar 24, 2019, 10:33 PM »
Yes, driving on from the South boat launch today.  Just off to the South of the main track going on the ice (which had some water in it).  Just drove off to the South of the main track and it was solid, didn't even leave a tire mark on the ice.  Should be good for couple more days.

Fished from 1:30 to 4:30 and two of us brought our nice limit home of perch.  The bite was much better then the last 2 times out.  Full moon has passed and they were back on their day feeding program.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #340 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12:07 AM »
I fished Lake of the Prairies last Wednesday night under the full moon. Started and hour before sunset and held on until 10:00 pm. The small marks on the flasher were likely perch, or perhaps walleye, but none showed any serious inclination to bite my offerings. Would the magical bite have happened had I stayed until the moon was fully overhead? I have my doubts.
All I know is that some pretty good days were had during normal waking hours on Blackstrap this winter, well outside of the so - called peak periods of full moon and new moon.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #341 on: Mar 25, 2019, 12:04 PM »
I fished Lake of the Prairies last Wednesday night under the full moon. Started and hour before sunset and held on until 10:00 pm. The small marks on the flasher were likely perch, or perhaps walleye, but none showed any serious inclination to bite my offerings. Would the magical bite have happened had I stayed until the moon was fully overhead? I have my doubts.
All I know is that some pretty good days were had during normal waking hours on Blackstrap this winter, well outside of the so - called peak periods of full moon and new moon.
That's for predicting ocean tide which carry fish to shallow bays.

Offline Wissel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #342 on: Mar 25, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Hi! I'm wondering if someone could tell me the approximate date when most of the ice has melted on Blackstrap.

I'm from the University of Regina and writing my thesis on winter conditions in lakes around SK, so that's why I'm hoping to catch the approx. ice-off date, which would be when 2/3 of the lake has melted or the first day when its completely melted to go with a boat. I'm grateful for any reply and update as soon as the ice melts! Thanks!  ;D

Offline Deruzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #343 on: Mar 26, 2019, 11:28 AM »
Anyone have an update on ice thickness? Planning on heading out there on Friday.

Offline knezzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #344 on: Mar 26, 2019, 09:10 PM »
North end on Sunday.... barely got through without extension. No water on top, no fish either

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #345 on: Mar 26, 2019, 09:55 PM »
There were trucks driving on at the South end.  Both North and South boat launches are still good to go.  I was out today and you couldn't keep the perch off from 9:30 to 11:30.  Then it died for 4 hours, and then there was a 6 p.m. evening bite.

Ice is still good for driving around.  As mentioned, no waster on top of ice.  Just have to keep a eye on getting on to the ice for the remaining 5 days.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #346 on: Mar 27, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Was out again this morning and every perch had fresh minnows in their mouth.  The ones I cleaned had their stomaches full of them.  So anyone
going out might want to get some small minnows for bait.  I am still just using perch eyes for bait and slaying them.

Was still able to drive on this morning, and with the cool wind this morning, it isn't going to melt a lick today. 

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #347 on: Mar 27, 2019, 10:55 PM »
Church you still  fishin on the far west side of lake ?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #348 on: Mar 27, 2019, 11:13 PM »
Yes, same spot you saw me last time

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #349 on: Mar 28, 2019, 12:59 PM »
You know how they say the fishing usually gets better in March? Well, today that proved to be true. I met Churchill River on the ice at 7:00 a.m. and the perch were hungry and aggressive. I don't have CR's head for numbers, but I will not dispute his assertion that we caught in the neighbourhood of 80 fish in the first hour and a half. I caught around 30 out of the hole I started in.
We got everything from 13 inch fish down to ones that made you laugh. However, the number of fish in the 9 to 11 inch range that we released certainly bodes well for the future.
The access off the boat launches was good, and there is plenty of ice there to carry us through the weekend. The perch were still feeding on small minnows; one of which swam around in the hole after being disgorged by a released fish.

gman51

« Reply #350 on: Mar 30, 2019, 09:51 AM »
was out for an evening fish last night north side of the causeway. searching for the other species but still couldn't get away from those perch there everywhere. marks were showing up in almost every area i drilled and did catch a bunch. along with 4 pike and a walleye. worth another trip in that area for my last trip of the hard water season as i did miss a couple hits of the larger variety.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #351 on: Mar 31, 2019, 11:29 PM »
Well finished off the hard water season with my best day of the winter.  It was a great winter, except for Feb. 

It was nice talking to all the regulars and newbies on Shanty and meeting some of you on the ice.  A good time was had.

Have a good summer everyone and looking forward to talking/meeting you all next Nov/Dec.

Here are a couple pictures of the last supper..........of fish for this winter.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #352 on: Apr 01, 2019, 12:01 AM »
Last day at blackstrap was a great day once again. Lots of action in the morning but slowed down later on. Managed to stay dry all winter till today. Walking back to the boat launch and fell through the ice at the end, in about 2 ft water.

Thought I did well today with my 30ish catch, till I ran into church and his 100+ haul for the day, loading up our trucks. Was good to meet you church. Nice to put a face to a name. Have a good summer

gman51

« Reply #353 on: Apr 01, 2019, 08:51 AM »
well it sounds like everyone did well on the perch explosion this year. it sure got a lot more people out fishing if anything got their confidence up on catching. it was nice to see and hear of more fisher kids taking part on the perch bonanza hopefully catching their interest in the sport on the hard water. had a great season myself and fishing with fellow shanty members...........next post...November  ;)

Offline Wissel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #354 on: Apr 03, 2019, 12:49 PM »
Hi! I'm wondering if someone could tell me the approximate date when most of the ice has melted on Blackstrap.

I'm from the University of Regina and writing my thesis on winter conditions in lakes around SK, so that's why I'm hoping to catch the approx. ice-off date, which would be when 2/3 of the lake has melted or the first day when its completely melted to go with a boat. I'm grateful for any reply and update as soon as the ice melts! Thanks!  ;D

Hi! Just reposting this to see if anyone is planning to keep track of when the ice has completely melted on Blackstrap.  I'm hoping to sample the lake as soon as it's possible to get out with a boat, guessing that will be about mid to late April.  Thanks! 

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #355 on: Apr 03, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Wissel if you click on the dundurn camera you can see the south end of blackstrap. http://users.accesscomm.ca/saskweather/skhighwaycams.htm

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #356 on: Apr 04, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Happy to report that another member and I took out my teenage son and his three buddies (two who had never ice fished) and had a great morning last Saturday.  The boys ice over 40 perch and we caught a couple pike on the flags as well.  They got to learn how to use sonar, and saw lots of fish on the camera as well.  The freshly fried perch tasted great for lunch.  Hopefully they will want to go again sometime.  It sure was wonderful hearing their whoops and seeing their smiles.  Best day of the season, and great memories shared. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Wissel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #357 on: Apr 05, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Wissel if you click on the dundurn camera you can see the south end of blackstrap. http://users.accesscomm.ca/saskweather/skhighwaycams.htm

Great, thanks Whytie!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.