The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cheyenne Lakes  (Read 2603 times)

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cheyenne Lakes
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Had to go to Cheyenne today, so I stopped at Absarraca and fished for a half hour, ice was only 5 and a half inches near the fishing dock, caught one small rainbow, then went to Sloans. Sloans had 12 and a half inches of ice, fished for an hour and caught this 19 inch rainbow. Took his picture and released him.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cheyenne Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Nice looking fish for those small ponds.  I caught bass, a few crappie, and some big carp out of sloans when i had to live in cheyenne during my student teaching.  For a scummy little lake there are some decent fish around.

Zack

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Fished Sloans for a couple hours this afternoon. The ice is still good, around 12 inches. Caught one crappie, my first through the ice, and in Wyoming, two perch and a bass. Saw a lot of perch on my camera but they wouldn't really bite. Fished in about 6 feet of water.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2009, 05:09 PM »
Ok so I live in laramie and could really use a place to fish. Where is sloans and how do you get there?
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Funny you ask, just went to Sloans this afternoon, but I it wouldn't be my first lake to recommend to anybody living in Laramie. I hit it a couple times a year to catch something besides trout. If you want to go, it's in Cheyenne in Frontier Park, if you take I80 to cheyenne, hit I25 north until you drive over a lake then get off at that exit, take a right, and go a mile or so and take another right into frontier park, there will be signs for Sloans.
Today, between three of us we caught around 60 perch, 5 trout(between 12 and 20 inches), and two bass. Released most of the fish, ice was still around 10 inches. Absarraka is the lake you drive over, it does not have good ice right now.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2009, 02:04 AM »
did you  release the bass just a heads up they have to be 15in to keep now on both the cheyenne lakes and alot of other lakes
Nice crappie people dont get very many of them outa there its like they disappear lol

Offline ex-pug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:40 AM »
Being that my wife and I will someday move to Cody, how far away is Sloans from Cody?

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:31 AM »
Being that my wife and I will someday move to Cody, how far away is Sloans from Cody?

If I lived in Cody, Boysen and Ocean would be very hard to drive past on any fishing trip. That's about as good as it gets in Wyo, IMHO. Maybe take a trip to Flaming Gorge when the ice is good but other than that . . . no reason to look elsewhere.

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:39 AM »
Cheyenne is only like 6 hours from Cody, better off trying Boysen, Fort Peck or Keyhole for Crappie and sun fish, or Renner outside of Hyatville, it's 2 hours east of Cody, full of bass and bluegill.  don't know how it is ice fishing the road is probably drifted shut
Fish tremble at the sound of my name

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2009, 02:04 PM »
Yes I released the bass, they were undersize, even if they weren't I probably would not have kept them. My largest bass ever out of that lake is only 13 inches, so good luck trying to catch a keeper.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2009, 05:50 PM »
yeah they are hard to come by but they are in there :) i release 95% of the fish i get i usually only keep a few walleye when i can get them

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Hey 327,  I finally blasted the crappies this weekend...not in cheyenne though.  I might be down this weekend, I'll give you a call if that is the case.
I release all trout...cause they taste that bad.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Cool man! I went back to Sloans earlier this week and found some crappies but couldn't catch them, only caught perch and lost one nice bass.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Safe Ice is a relative term but I fished Sloans today and I would no longer consider it safe. This morning was fine, walked out to my usual spot, soft but still 8 inches thick. Fished for a couple hours and then headed toward the bank to try fishing shallow. Drilled a couple holes right next to each other and within a minute I was standing in a large puddle, the ice was deflecting under my weight and letting water come up out of the holes, so I left. So if anyone fishes it, be careful especially in the afternoon.

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2009, 12:30 AM »
You wuss 327...the water is only a couple feet deep.  I know you have had a tragic experience with poor ice...HA!
I release all trout...cause they taste that bad.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Yeah I know I am!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.