The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Curt Gowdy Ice  (Read 3418 times)

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Curt Gowdy Ice
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Went up to North Crow Res. and Granite Reservoir. Ice is about 14 inch's thick but Granite has really opened up, about half the lake is open water. Fishing is fair at Crow, and I caught some perch at Granite. Just wanted to let anyone know so you aren't disappointed as I was by seeing all that open water, since it was mostly frozen a week ago. I didn't bother driving to Crystal since I heard it was opening up last week.

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Curt Gowdy Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:16 PM »
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Were you able fish deep water.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:08 PM »
At Granite I was fishing between 6 and about 18 feet which is where I found the perch. I was in the cove near one of the handicap fishing docks, not federal bay, the other one. I didn't go down by the dam which is where I fished last week, not sure how close the open water is to the dam. Down there it's 50 + feet deep.

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:59 AM »
Thanks for the info! So the fishing is good up at Curt Gowdy  :icefish:

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Took my wife up to Granite this morning, saw some perch and trout but only caught one rainbow a piece. Pretty Slow, the open water is starting to freeze back up so be careful.

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:58 PM »
The same spot you were at last time, or did your see the perch in a different area?

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Very close to the same spot, the lake was now snow covered so I couldn't see my old holes, but probably within 20 feet of where I was. Just couldn't get them to bite. Probably 12-14 feet of water.

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:21 AM »
Fished Granite, Crystal and Crow yesterday very slow on all. Did have a little luck on Crow and small trout at Granite. Where there is ice it is pretty safe. Not much fishing pressure at all, but the fishing is too slow and the fish are babies. Back to Hattie we go!!!!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Went to crow yesterday, caught two splake, two grayling and a sucker in 4 hours, very slow. Went to Granite today only caught 2 rainbows and one perch, again slow. Ice conditions are still the same. I'm seeing plenty of fish on my camera, they just aren't biting very well. I'll be glad when it picks up, way slower than the last two years.

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2009, 03:46 AM »
How is the fishing up at Granite, Crystal and Crow right now? If Granite, Crystal or Crow is go fishing what kind of bait should I use?  :icefish:

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:40 AM »
I haven't been up for a week or so. I just use small jigs with meal worms for the trout, or perch if I'm at granite. I use green or pink jigs.

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:54 AM »
I have not been up in a while either... I use mostly feather jigs on those lakes for trout, most any small jiggign spoon for perch and larger trout, everything always tipped with a mealy or a waxy. 
I release all trout...cause they taste that bad.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:45 PM »
I did good at granite sunday, good black ice on the west two thirds of the lake. Only my third day ice fishing this year due to a broken transfer case on the truck. Cant complain though nice pink meat on those bows, and easy to catch. Found perch too but only about 5 inchers. Some of the trout were full of perch minnows. I am going back Sat if the wind isn't howling and trying a perch colored rap.

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2009, 03:40 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I might go out Saturday or Sunday if the weather is nice and cold with no wind...lol  ;D 8)

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Caught 3 bows and two perch this morning , lost a really nice bow at the hole, Ice was over a foot thick but cracking like crazy

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2009, 08:12 PM »
how big was the bow you lost? Also any size to the perch?

fished granite from about 1:00 - 6:00 today, caught probably 20-30 bows... released them all - no size. no perch:(

Ice was solid.
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2009, 09:04 PM »
Fished Granite today from noon to dark, ice is still pretty good. Caught 4 rainbows and one small perch. Very slow day but caught and released this guy.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Those are brood stock fish from the hatchery.  We got into a mess of them one spring after ice off.  Really fun to catch but not much to look at with big nasty jaws.  We caught a dozen of those males and one big female about 25 inches or better but super skinny and her fins were all messed up from being at the hatchery.  I called the game and fish about what we had caught and they said that they stock them in there every once in a while when they are replacing their breeding stock at the hatchery.  I never caught one through the ice, i bet it was fun.

Zack

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Yeah, it was fun, caught a couple brood stock there last year too. This particular fish had the strangest hook jaw I've seen though. The end looked like a golf ball, round and big. The park told me they put some in, in december but this has been the only one I caught there this year. In fact, my profile picture was one I caught last year, 22 inch cutbow, not sure if it was a brood though, maybe wild.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Went back to Granite this afternoon for about an hour and a half. What a difference in ice conditions, yesterday there was still some clear hard ice, today it was all rotten looking, still fairly thick but soft. There was a lot of water on top of the ice in the inlet area also. Only caught one ten inch perch and lost one trout. Drove over to North Crow first, there's very little ice and what's there is really rotten, fished for 15 minutes, saw a little brookie and left.

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:16 PM »
I would contend that this was the worst icefishing season around Laramie in at least 5 years...Oh well I guess I have a couple of weeks left to turn things around.
I release all trout...cause they taste that bad.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2009, 08:45 AM »
Yes, I would agree. This was only my third ice fishing season and by far the worst as far as numbers of fish go. I'll be on call for work starting this week so my season is done.

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:38 PM »
How is the ice up at Curt Gowdy ???

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:48 PM »
At Granite the inlet pond area had 5-6 inches today, the main lake has a skim of ice across the street from the pond.

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Thanks 327trout for the update. Have you had any luck up there ???

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2009, 05:49 PM »
trout fishing has been good, but nothing big. Was hoping for some perch but haven't seen a single one on my camera.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.