The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: To those that leave ankle busters in the ice...  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Outlander_49

• Team IceShanty Regular
To those that leave ankle busters in the ice...
« on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:17 AM »
please completely drill your 1/2 hole through the ice when you move!  This way they can fill up with water and refreeze.  I noticed 2 half drilled holes out on Dailey Lake yesterday, not sure if they were drilled to hold up someone's auger or for anchors but there is no reason to leave them be.   :%$#!: If I had the same size drill I would have finished them off for you, but since I don't they are still there. Watch your step out there!

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
Re: To those that leave ankle busters in the ice...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:24 AM »
Great post I totally agree. Seems pointless.

MTA

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:28 AM »
I'm guilty of that.  Honestly, I never gave it a second thought.  Will do so now.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:19 PM »
It's not a good way to store augers anyway.  It will, over time, cause a bend to form in the drill and reduce your cutting performance. All the manufacturers will tell you that...or not, 'cause they like to sell drills! Lay 'er down.

Mike
www.aablefishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Didn't know this. Thanks.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:00 PM »
I have never understood why guys leave the augers standing in the ice anyhow...  I have twisted an ankle in these left undrilled holes.  atleast fill them with the shaving or some snow that is around if you dotn drill them all the way. 

if you drill them for an anchor why not use the screw in anchors they work to you know just a little bit longer to set up.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:02 PM »
I am guilty! Never thought of the possibilty of someone stepping in it or the possibilty of damage to my auger. Thanks for the pointers! Will change my ways.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Standing them up makes sense if there is blowing snow at ice level. But drilling the hole through when done is a very good idea.

Offline Bmarler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:25 PM »
I have to admit that i have never thought about it. Thanks for the heads up, i will be sure to drill them through.

Offline wllye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2013, 05:45 PM »
half holes are use for ice anchors also . makes sense they could be a danger though ;)
GO SAINTS

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Got to appreciate all of the stand up sort of folks willing to admit it and change their ways. Just another reason I am thankful for iceshanty.com  ;D

MTA

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2013, 05:56 PM »
I was always told a hole is a hole and that there was no such thing as a half a hole. I may need to rethink this!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline mrbeeman212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I will never drill half a hole for a place to put my auger. Had a guy come knock on my ice house asking to borrow my auger after he had drilled his half hole a little too deep, water seeped up in the hole over a few hours and froze his auger in the hole i almost died laughing we got it out but i will never try it because of that

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:24 PM »
I left one yesterday, was drilling hole & got distracted by someone "wife" did not finish it. Will not do it again. Thanks for bringing this subject to IS.

Offline GentleBen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:05 PM »
I'm guilty too! Thanks for the helpful post. It won't happen again!

Offline Outlander_49

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:19 PM »
I will never drill half a hole for a place to put my auger. Had a guy come knock on my ice house asking to borrow my auger after he had drilled his half hole a little too deep, water seeped up in the hole over a few hours and froze his auger in the hole i almost died laughing we got it out but i will never try it because of that
I've done that, spent a whole lot of time spudding my drill out of 18" of ice. The bit has the scars to prove it, drilling like a champ still. That was the first and the last time I'll try that!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:41 PM »
Standing them up makes sense if there is blowing snow at ice level. But drilling the hole through when done is a very good idea.

Power head covers are a cheap way to make sure you don't get snow, frost, or in one case freezing rain/slush into your carburetor or carburetor linkage.  I have had several times when my ice auger would run like crap because of the elements it was exposed to in the back of my truck and on the ice.  I bought a cover and use it.  Haven't had any issues when I use it.  Take care of your gear and it will take care of you.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Gsoldit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:50 PM »
I stepped in a half hole once and truly did almost break my ankle. :(

Offline hotsos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Great post, thanks for the information. It has happened to me a time or two.

Offline Pastor B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:32 PM »
I have found some half holes out there too!  Can't say I have always drilled them through, but I will remember more now!  Thanks for the reminder!
Play hard!  Pray hard!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Since this has been posted, I'll spill the beans on myself. (Laughing) I actually did this to myself a couple years back when I got back into ice fishing. Drilled four holes on EFR. There was a decent breeze and I didn't want to lay the auger down as I usually did because of the blowing snow. All the sudden the old light bulb went off. Drill a hole just deep enough to hold the auger upright. I did this right next to my sled. So, great idea right..........NOT!! Packed my stuff into sled preparing to leave. Grabbed the pull rope on front of sled, spun the sled around, and on my second step my left foot went in that hole and I did a face plant right into the snow. Twisted the ankle pretty good. Hobbled back to the truck, loaded my stuff up and just walked around for a few minutes thinking I would walk it off. Felt much better as I departed. As I was driving home, it started to stiffen up and became quite sore. Unloaded my stuff and hobbled into the house. Wife says, "what the heck did you do now"?? I told her what I did and she just looked at me, rolled her eyes, and said "bet you don't do that again"!! NEVER AGAIN IS RIGHT. Now I just lay the auger across my sled to keep it off the ground no matter what the conditions. Looking(laughing) back on it now, it seems rather funny that I set myself up for a fall. You all feel free to laugh along with me - LOL. Be safe and keep them lines tight.

Sent via iPad2

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:55 AM »
I did that once as well, but appearantly got too close to punching through, water filled the hole shortly after. needless to say it was a pain to remove the auger from the half frozen hole!! ::) NEVER AGAIN!
Worst day of fishin I ever had was still damn good!

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:55 AM »
I used to drill half holes until it bent the drill unit on my laser mag. That was a hundred dollar lesson for sure. And I too have stepped in one of my own half holes! Never again its not worth a broken leg and or ankle

Offline JBL44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JBL44
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:22 PM »
If you are worried about snow getting into your auger if you lay it down, when you get home take it indoors, I take mine right to the basement, fire up the air compresser and blow all the snow & H2O out, works for me!
perchnut

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Seen one the other day that was half drilled. My auger was bigger than the hole so I walked all the way to the truck and grab the hand auger and walked all the way back (1/4 mile) just to finish it off. Guys thought I was weird until I told them why. Just hope there's no more out there as I don't always fish during the day!

Good topic and great posts being brought up!  :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.