The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sawdust or Sand in your Maggots  (Read 4328 times)

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
Sawdust or Sand in your Maggots
« on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:27 PM »
So I have been paying attention this year to the maggots that I buy and been doing some experimenting. Was fishing for perch on CF and had 2 each of 3 different setups, total of six poles. Fished in holes that were no more than 3 feet apart and put maggots packed in sand 3 of the poles and maggots packed in sawdust on the other 3. Over the course of the day, the maggots that were packed in sand outfished the maggots packed in sawdust 4 to 1. Anybody else pay attention to this, or was it just coincidence? Just curious to see what you guys think

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
Re: Sawdust or Sand in your Maggots
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Things that make ya go...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!  Going to have to try them in sand.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:36 PM »
I like the maggots in sand for several reasons, first it is easier to see the maggots, ::) 2) sand does not blow in your eyes as much as the sawdust, :o 3) the maggots seem to last longer (stay alive) in sand  :clap: and lastly, all the old timers I've talked with prefer sand maggots, they told me that they catch more fish, although I have never checked that theory. ;D

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:37 PM »
Yeah, my bro-in law uses the maggots in dirt, and I use maggots in sawdust.  we do about the same each time we fish together,  he usually starts off strong, but by the end of the day we've caught about the same amount.  I don't think it matters, food is food.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2009, 03:23 PM »
Only thing I can think of is that the maggots packed in Pine shavings get to tasting a bit like the Pine and the sand ones just have that fresh, juicey , maggot goodness.....    :sick:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2009, 04:40 PM »
gonna try the sands here this weekend on the lake.  The pine taste might have some merit to it.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:18 PM »
I cant taste the difference. ::) But If you say sand is better and youve fished em side by side then thats good enough for me. Now how about colered maggots? Which colors are best and why?

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:50 PM »
the only maggots ive seen in sawdust tend to be colored, red, blue, cream-yellow, and regular old maggot flesh color.  I have fished them and would agree the regular old maggots in sand or whatever fish better than the sawdust/colored maggots.  In Minnesota when I ice-fish the colored/sawdust ones are all you can find and seem to fish just fine.  Maybe its different pH or whatever but I do notice significantly better success without using the sawdust/colored maggots here.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:55 AM »
I have never noticed a difference but now you guys have me thinking! Damn one more thing to think about when outfishing Big Hof, not that it's hard to do, except for pike i think he has me beat at pike! >:( well lets hope that it cools off again soon it would be nice to fish deep into March! Tight Lines and hope to see you guys at Francis.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:06 AM »
they pack your maggots in sand out there?  Here in NY I've only ever seen them in sawdust.  Sand uh?  Interesting!

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Not tough to out fish me for anything but pike this season..... the only species I have gone after through the ice are the toothy gators.  I will get after the perch at the francis derby, remind you who the master is!!!
l

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2009, 03:47 PM »
ath the start of the year i was using the maggots in saw dust, and never caught a fish for like 3 trips, so i just switched to half a nightcrawler for a bit, and that worked way better. then i found the sand maggots and tried those out. they work way better than the ones in the sawdust. i have noticed that they do last longer, they are more lively (even after you put them on the hook) and their meat is a little firmer. they don't tear apart and get all mushy when you put them on the hook. bottom line i think the maggots in sand are more active and maintain their shape. I will not even buy the maggots in sawdust anymore.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2009, 03:52 PM »
I have never seen the maggots in the sand on the western side of the state....

Offline lingslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:10 PM »
I can't find maggotts in sand anywhere in Billings or the surrounding area either.I wanted to test the theory out but I am having no luck

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2009, 01:23 PM »
Anaconda has sand maggots if you fish georgetown lake... check the gas stations, that is the only place i have found them

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:56 PM »
You guys are so lucky to have the ability to buy maggots where you are from.  Here in Nebraska there is absolutely no bait shop that has ever stocked them and they give you a look like you re wearing your undies on your head when you ask for them ???.  And its not like they don't work around here because i order them on line and catch lots of fish with them.  I didn't even know that they can be stored in sand, i might have to transfer mine. thanks for the tip

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:13 PM »
The maggots aren't exactly stored in sad, at least the ones I've purchased. Its seems to me its more of a thick dust, at least almost that fine. Might try to figure out what  exactly the material is. Especially if your going through the trouble of getting them on line. Correct me if you guys are actually talking about sand but I've never seen that.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:52 PM »
I've only ever seen "dust"  or SUPER fine almost clay like dirt.  I thought this thread was interesting so I went out and bought this weekends maggies with dust.  Did just as good as I usually do, no better, no worse?  They were a little bit more expensive then my sawdust maggies, and I did notice I got what seemed like a lot more per tube. dumped em out and seemed like 125 per tube or so.  Also, I noticed they were REALLY juicy, almost popped when I hooked em.  I never have them pop with the sawdust maggies.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Personally I do not see a differance as lately my friend and I have been slaying the Perch on saw dust maggots, and most of them weighing within an ounce or two above or below the two pound range. Earlier this year first ice we used both and did not seem to make a lick of difference then either. But I can say all it takes is a couple feet either way of a good hole and you may not catch squat! Or at least that is my experience. I will post picks of fish when I figure out how.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:46 PM »
All the maggots you can buy in Gt Falls are packed in sawdust (as far as I have found)  Picked some up in bozeman (sportsmans warehouse)this weekend that are packed in sand (silt) will definately make a comparison this weekend
l

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:39 AM »
thought I saw sand in the ones at Big R.  Looked real fine like blow sand. 
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:28 AM »
Not certain the reason, but the maggots in sand do typically keep a little better and are always juicier. I have made the complete swap over and now am only fishing with the maggots that come in the silt material. Good call JigBounce, I guess I called it sand for lack of better word at the time

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:35 AM »
Dirt Maggots

+ Fishing poles

= lots of perch. yummy!!!

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:31 PM »
Nice mess of perch. I wish that I would have a had a camera the other night when we had nine limits sitting at the "fillet palace". 135 perch fills up a basin sink pretty much most of the way. 2 hours later we had waded through the mess, a labor of love I guess

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Not certain the reason, but the maggots in sand do typically keep a little better and are always juicier. I have made the complete swap over and now am only fishing with the maggots that come in the silt material. Good call JigBounce, I guess I called it sand for lack of better word at the time

i used to live in Butte and all the maggotts i bought came in that sand.  the only one i can find around here are in corn meal( at least thats what i think it is).  I need to take along 4 bottles of them for a days fishin.  not many in the little bottles.  seems like there is only about 30 in a bottle and they charge almost $2.50 for them :-[.  the ones i got around butte had tons more maggots and they were way plumper.  the ones arond here are tiny and takes more of them to fill a hook.  i definetly perfer the ones in sand. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.