The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Neptunes new suit  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Neptunes new suit
« on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:11 PM »
How is that new suit? Can you give us a detailed review? I saw a SNOSUIT..Thing was over the top fantastic awesome but it was most expensive and didn't float...George Bush got me...I am on hard times but with any luck at all the 09-10 season has a new ice suit for me...The floatation seems critical.
I am in Massachusetts this winter hunting a trophy smallmouth or chain pickerel...last ten years it has been so warm ponds didn't freeze..This year the ice is clear solid and about 9" near the Cape which is fantastic.
We are allowed to use 5 lines here and minnows are allowed..on weekends I buy some "select" giant 7" shinners for $15 a dozen and let them swim around I set 4 traps and chunk and jig with the dead shinners...Lots of small 12-16" pickerel on the jigged chunks...no fish game enough to hit the jumbo shinners.....yet.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Re: Neptunes new suit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:49 PM »
Yeah that suit is real nice... sure is stinky though.. hhhmmmm.....  Looked real warm,  after this weekend, what are your Thoughts Neptune?  Warm enough?  Too warm?  Breathable?  Worth the money?  Might have to use some of that tourney doh to get some bibs.  mine got a couple little cuts in them this weekend and I don't want to keep using them for ice fishing,  I've only wore em a few times in that ultra cold weather. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:38 AM »
I will put it down by category and you can take what you want....

Construction:  well constructed.
Durability:  seems to be holding up well
Warmth:  EXCELLENT
Wind resistance:  EXCellent
Waterproof:  Excellent
Breathable:  So So (if you perspire much and wear clothing that doesn't hold moisture underneath it tends to condensate on the inside of the fleece on the Arctic Armor Pro)
Buoyant: Very

Things I'd change:  make the Bibs about 6" higher on the back, put side Pockets in the Bibs, put Velcro closures on the pass through pockets on the Bibs, make the jacket about 3 inches longer.

Do I think its worth it.....DEFINATELy!  I love it.  This last weekend I was in some bitter cold(-25 windchill) and when I had my Arctic Armor on I was never cold!

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Thanks for the review...this season I am away from Montana and most of my gear but fishing hard here in Mass....next season an IDI suit and a strikemaster strikelite 4 stroke...

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Been looking at the new strikemaster strikelite's a little bit. Does anybody have one? What do you think of it?

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2009, 06:58 PM »
I saw one in action. Light fast quiet no 2 stroke stink or hard starts....it is what I want for sure. I can't comment on quality or longevity or any of that. I think its $500 and only has one size 8 inch I think...

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:56 AM »
Been looking at the new strikemaster strikelite's a little bit. Does anybody have one? What do you think of it?
I don't own one but looked one over closely at the local "ice shop"...  I liked how light it was, but don't know that I would trust the durability of a "composite" auger.  The cutting head is metal and has replaceable blades like usual, but that darned composite auger has me spooked!  I don't know if you have messed with anything that is made of composite material before...  have you ever had a carbon fiber fishing rod fail?  All it takes is getting the fibers on one side nicked or the pole "crushed" and you don't notice and when you get that big pig on there it folds like Origami!  You would have to take extra special care of that auger, no throwing into the back of the truck where it can rattle around, no leaving it in a half drilled hole on the ice for fear of someone leaning on it when its not centered...Composite materials are great, but they are normally great in just one direction...and then tend to fail if stressed in any other direction.

For me that would be alot of money for something I'm already questioning....I'm getting an IceGator!!!

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2009, 05:02 PM »
After some super cold trips...that suit still qualify as excellent in warm catagory?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2009, 08:16 AM »
After some super cold trips...that suit still qualify as excellent in warm catagory?

No doubt about it.  It keeps you warm and toasty.

Let me put it this way, my wife is 5'8" and weighs about 120(on heavy day) and she's always cold.  When I'm wearing the jacket and I come in the house she always tells me to unzip my jacket and she almost climbs in it with me....its warm   :woot:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.