Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Okoboji Tips 2.0  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Okoboji Tips 2.0
« on: Feb 16, 2019, 01:45 PM »
I did good today. Drilled one hole, caught a bunch of blugills. Dropped 16 off at the baitshop. Only reason I fished was because my daughter had show choir in Spirit Lake and I was going to be there by myself. So I decided to fish beforehand. You can drive every where that I have seen. I doubt color matters but I had pink on today
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Okoboji Tips 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Thanks for the report! I usually wear a black hoodie when I icefish, but to each their own! ;D

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2019, 03:26 PM »
I did good today. Drilled one hole, caught a bunch of blugills. Dropped 16 off at the baitshop. Only reason I fished was because my daughter had show choir in Spirit Lake and I was going to be there by myself. So I decided to fish beforehand. You can drive every where that I have seen. I doubt color matters but I had pink on today

Where did you fish? We partied till 3:00 am and got up super late. Finally made it or t to Spirit and did ok on perch.

Getting some rest now and will head out in search of gills or yellows

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2019, 05:38 PM »
I fished in my ice shack. I caught some nice bluegills on the north end of west. I drove out in the middle, drilled a hole and started catching fish. How deep? 14 maybe. I followed the trail and when I got in the middl of everyone, I stopped.

Don't judge my pink clothes. You dress like Johnny Cash. I dress like new country,  rainbow colors.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Fishing was a little slower today for size but still strong for numbers. I did get a heck of a nice pike, maybe 28". I caught a bunch of crappies but mostly around 8" and I throw those back. Still able to get around with a pickup ok on Smith Bay.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:53 PM »
Fishing was a little slower today for size but still strong for numbers. I did get a heck of a nice pike, maybe 28". I caught a bunch of crappies but mostly around 8" and I throw those back. Still able to get around with a pickup ok on Smith Bay.

Fishing mainly smiths?

Headed up that way to fish Thursday-Sunday. Planning to fish spirit for perch part of a day then hop around. Wish the first post hadn’t got deleted that was some pretty good info! Usually have success on perch but I would like to get into some crappies somewhere. Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:47 AM »
I noticed some dudes fishing with longer rods...maybe 48" without reels.  Pretty interesting.  We were only in about 5 FOW.  What are those rods called?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:15 PM »
You see Wisconsin guys using them long rods. I dont understand the reason for them. I use 16 and 19 inch rods. If you are at Okoboji in March, it is sometimes 95% Wisconsin guys with them long rods. Strange.

Offline da_teacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:05 PM »
You see Wisconsin guys using them long rods. I dont understand the reason for them. I use 16 and 19 inch rods. If you are at Okoboji in March, it is sometimes 95% Wisconsin guys with them long rods. Strange.

Ha ha guess where they were from?!

Kansas dudes use open water rods and reels -- one in each hand!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Anyone who went out today must be awful hungry for fish. As hungry as Homer when he got kicked out of The Frying Dutchman and then went fishing.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2019, 09:51 PM »
i went out this morning down here and the wind was brutal.  everybody bailed on me so i fished alone with no wind break.  all i could hear in my head is my dad saying if you are going to do stupid stuff you better be tough.  paid off tho with some decent crappie and gills.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:21 PM »
I would have gone out if I lived close but an hour drive and then fight the wind, I'd rather watch Netflix and take a nap. Be plenty of fishing in late March.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.