Author Topic: Heater for a Clam Scout  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
Heater for a Clam Scout
« on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:05 PM »
 I just bought a Clam Scout this past weekend and I was wondering if anyone has one of these shacks and if so, what they use for a heater?  I'm looking at a couple smaller models since I am 6'3" and 290 lbs and a size 14 boot, doesn't leave a whole lot of options for space haha. Any info is greatly appreciated!  How long does propane last in each of these?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=446132&pdesc=Coleman_BlackCat_Perfectemp_Portable_Catalytic_Heater&aID=504C1&merchID=4006
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=433504&pdesc=Mr_Heater_Heater_Cooker&aID=503AL3&merchID=4006#details_box_holder
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=411148&pdesc=Mr_Heater_Little_Buddy_Propane_Heater&aID=504C1&merchID=4006
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Heater for a Clam Scout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2012, 02:08 PM »
I have a Mr Heater Lil Buddy that I used to use. It kept me fairly warm in my Clam Junior. I received a new heater for a gift so I am going to sell the Lil Buddy

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2012, 02:09 PM »
I use a mr heater buddy heater in my scout and it is more than enough heater for it.  It is really nice on those really cold days.

Offline Too Beer For Cold

• IceShanty Rookie
  • *hic* It's never too beer for cold!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I'd go with the middle size buddy heater. The back stays cool so you can snug it right up against the wall without burning anything, which gives you more room in the shelter. I used to own a fishtrap scout, but I sold it because I wanted a little more room, the buddy heater did a good job of heating it.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Pick up one of these and done. They don't tip over easy and are more than enough for your Scout. You will even get plenty of heat on low power.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395499_200395499

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:22 AM »

i use a brinkmen , got it from the sportsmens guide works just fine in my Kenai ,but not for more than a one man

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Mr.Buddy is great, and you can cook on it too ;D
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2012, 03:02 PM »
little buddy is what I use in my scout great heater

Offline pondhopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:53 PM »
I use a Coleman Perfectflow 1 burner stove, great for cooking or heating stuff up on, don't take up alot of room and can really heat up a scout quick, plus I never really burn mine all day I just crank it up, get warm and shut it down, I have never used a full tank in a day and I'm usally out from sun up to sun down. Plus I think they are under 30 bucks.

Fishmon

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Whoa!  I am 6 feet tall and weigh 185 and sometimes I feel cramped in the Scout.  You should be warm in there with no heat!  Nonetheless, any of the heaters you listed with do  the trick.  I purchased a Coleman Black Cat years ago on sale at Dicks and it has worked great.  I used it today in subzero weather to start day and it heated the Scout up to a very comfortable temperature on the low setting.   I don't like to get it up to shirtsleeve temperatures to minimize condensation.   It will run pretty much all day on a single cylinder of propane.  It has fold down  legs that keep it from tipping over. I stick it in the corner opposite the seat with the propane bottle up against the clam.   It has a guard covering the catalytic element that works pretty well; just don't lay anything on it.  You should be able to get a heater on sale soon.  Check out Lowes.  They sell a version of the Buddy and sometimes drop the prices to reduce inventory.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:55 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys!

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:48 AM »
I run a the Buddy heater in my Pro and it is more than enough even on low.  Could probably get away with a smaller catalytic heater.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2012, 02:11 PM »
i run the little buddy base camp in my scout and it is plenty here in pa.

Offline TheCommander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:00 PM »
I just got a little buddy heater for my 6 man shack and it works perfect keeps you warm even on low.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:48 PM »
I just used my Coleman Northstar Propane Lantern, in my new Scout TC. I shoveled snow around the snow flaps, and the rear tunnels of the sled bottom. It was 0 degrees and windy, and I was warm. It got up to 30 degrees today, I opened the vents, and I removed my coat and fished in my sweatshirt. Makes it nice and brightly lit  in my shelter too. I put my flasher on a boot tray, and the lantern next to it. This setup keeps the high heat of the lantern top, safely away from the shelters' fabric. I even have size 13 boots and I fish two holes with this setup.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline ilarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:58 AM »
well here is my basic set up. This pic doesn't really show that I have more room. My big buddy heater does not get hot on the back of it so I push it all the way up into the one corner and the vex in the other and still have room for two holes. I don't need the big buddy but I got it for other things  like my camper. I will say after using a buddy heater you won't want anything else.
Outdoor nut. Love to hunt, fish, camp.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:31 PM »
I ended up buying a little buddy portable. Does the trick nicely. Fished 2 holes and heater and hummingbird and had plenty of room for my feet

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Coleman Focus 3 in my 1 man. It keeps me plenty toasty.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.