Author Topic: Propane heater  (Read 925 times)

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
Propane heater
« on: Jan 05, 2019, 11:24 PM »
What’s the best way to keep propane bottles/tanks from freezing up? Just wondering if anyone has figured out a good way?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Propane heater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:16 AM »
I keep mine in the tent when in use. Usually in the corner. Used to have problems when I had it outside the tent with freeze ups
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:21 AM »
thats the ticket keep it inside

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:40 AM »
I use a 2 or 2 1/2 gallon tank for my heater. The only time i have had problems with it freezing up is when temps are way in the negative temperatures. Negative teens into the negative twenties. Once in the tent the tank usually warms up enough and functions fine. If you are using the small  green Coleman bottles, keep them inside the cab of the vehicle while you are driving to your destination. This keeps them warm and they should function ok upon arrival. If you have a larger tank and have room keep it inside the vehicle as well during transport. Nothing worse than no heat on really cold mornings or nights.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:11 AM »
if your talking about them freezing as they empty you can't stop it. just bring enough and if you want to get the last of the lpg from the tank that froze put it in a ice hole an thaw it out, but the reaming gas has the odorant that stinks on the bottom of the tank. the more you use them the more it will hold if you refill. the neoprene sleeves help some. it's just to easy to swap out tanks to bother with sleeves and floating nearly spent tanks. more so if you refill them like many of us do using the flame king system.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2019, 11:37 AM »
If its freezing up while in use on your heater put something inbetween it and the ice.. up on a bucket, milk crate or just a thick piece of insulation under it..
And keep the spares inside... 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2019, 05:35 PM »
I guess it’s time to start carrying an extra bucket I guess, it mainly is just the freezing up when in use, maybe it’s time to come up with a system to direct some heat towards the bottles to get the most out of them possible

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.