Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 175677 times)

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #210 on: Oct 23, 2011, 09:29 PM »
didn't see anything offensive posted.
well wen you made the post about the blue white and green paint you didnt sond to happy . I hope yur not mad  but since the post is not directed towards you i guess i wont worry abot it.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #211 on: Nov 23, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on this thread. I have a Humminbird ICE_55 and have since they came out 2008 or 2009 cant remember. I have no complaints the unit has never let me down.the target seperation is just fine my freezer is always full. the battery last a real long time,none of the knobs have ever broken. The zooms are just fine they do work. i have seldom have lost site of my fiskas on the screen.The large face on the dial has always been easy to read! the digital display is wonderful.  I could go on but I think everyone got the message. I also have a vexilar FL-18 for years a good unit also I prefer the bird it has many more bells and whistles.  Buy want you want for your needs not some teck wise employee of a company selling them!!
All are good units they all have there weaknesses. I can say the Humminbird has worked for me and its my choice for my needs!!!

Jarhead(Bill)

Offline choques 53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #212 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Lots of good info in this thread. I am a novice to flashers myself but have narrowed my future purchase down to either vex or a marcum.
Thanks for the insight

Offline gillgetter11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #213 on: Dec 07, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on a LX-3tc vs a Showdown 5.6?

Offline ToothyFishFanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GET THE GAFF!!!!!
« Reply #214 on: Dec 08, 2011, 01:16 PM »
I think Marcum is the best for the money.....
the showdown's are a hit.  The showdown 5.6 dual beam is good if you fish areas containing steep drops or timber that would show you a false bottom otherwise with the regular 5.6.....otherwise the regular 5.6 works just fine for 100 bucks less.  I don't care for standard vexilars cause my eyes end up buggin out after a while from the colors, but thats my only beef with them.
In any case, just get the one you can afford and it'll work fine.....if you have the money spend it because like alot of other things you get what you pay for

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #215 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:26 PM »
just got the lx3 after a bunch of research. its perfect for what i am doing. i usually fish under 30 ft of water, has moveable zoom if i wanna target suspended crappies and has a true zoom vs magnification. ive just played with it a little bit, ready to get on some ice with it but it seems very well made and comes with a case battery charger and a 20 degree ducer which is the same as the showdown your looking at. so the conclusion is, get what fits your needs and your preferences. if you like the vertical gray display go showdown. if you like the colors and dial display go with lx3 from what ive read your not gonna have a problem with customer service either way

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #216 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:11 AM »
OMG................... ..OH MY GAWWWWWD............re ally ???
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #217 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:00 PM »
I have used a couple Vexlars, Hummingbird and Marcum LX3 TC.  I catch fish with all of them.  I bought the Marcum, "American Made"
Shane

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Dec 19, 2011, 02:15 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on a LX-3tc vs a Showdown 5.6?
Get the lx3, I had the showdown dual beam last season, did not work like it should, they sent me a new transducer, still did not work, then a new unit, this unit did not work at all, so I told marcum I had no confidence in the showdown and would rather take a flasher, within a week I had a new lx3, love the unit, wish it had dual beam but at least it works.  Marcum costumer service rocks!  Marcum also covered shipping cost to send back the lovely showdowns.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Mike47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #219 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:44 AM »
The Humminbird ice 55 is 2400 peak to peak and 300 watts rms not 100 watts , my wont to change that.
IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q762/MikeGoe49/lx001.jpg[/IMG]

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #220 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:12 PM »
Officially joined team Marcum . Lx-3tc is being delivered by brown any day now
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline walleyeburner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #221 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:09 AM »
i am whit team humminbird it's a nice machine i dont regret it at all.

Offline BBBnTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #222 on: Jan 18, 2012, 04:23 PM »
I am lush I enjoy them all  ;)

I like the fl 8  (ice time 5yrs)

I use the humminbird ice55 385Ci combo great unit with the gps and ability to fish 2 holes at oce  (Ice time 2yrs)

I also dove into the world of marcum head first with the lx7 and it seems like it is going to be a great unit !!! (3 hours LOL)

Good fishing to everyone who cares what you use!!!

Ben..............

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #223 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:37 PM »
I have the fl-20 and marcum lx-7 both are great units
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #224 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Either way I'd go with Marcum, they have great customer service and more power.  I have the Showdown Dual Beam and love it.  It works perfectly and as advertised.  It's also more user friendly.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #225 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:16 AM »
I have been ice fishing for 14 years.  Finally the flashers/sonars have caught my eye.
I fish both walleye and lake trout.   I need a good reliable machine.  Warranty is "good"
but I don't want to part with my machine for a month for repairs.  I am not looking
for the most expensive or newest model as they may not have the kinks worked out.

The age old question:  "What would be a good machine for me?"
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #226 on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:34 AM »
Upgraded from a 15 yr old FL8 to the Marcum LX5. Love the LX5. The super fine line option and zooming in on any part of the water column is sweet. I have def caught more fish because of the LX5.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline tjkpopup

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TjK
« Reply #227 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:32 PM »
just got the vexilar fl18 and i like it, but have yet to catch a fish with it... but so far so good, i do wish it had the adjustable zoom feature thou......

Ice Fishin Computer Tech

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #228 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:57 PM »
Going to the USA to see if they have any on sale,whick one do you prefer?

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Going to the USA to see if they have any on sale,whick one do you prefer?

Depending on models, I "probably" would take a Vexillar FL 18 or FL20 over a Humminbird 35, good units but they also cost twice as much as the Bird.   Bang for the buck you can't beat the Humminbird 35 for what's out there on the market today.  I have one and love it, no problems at all in three years. Vexillars play well with other flashers (interference) but are expensive (the models I like,  the 18 and 20). Birds don't play well with other Birds in the same tent. Flashers aren't cheap in the States either normally.

Offline dkozyra15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:02 PM »
1st marcum 2nd bird 3rd vex
A bad day of fishing is still better then a good day @ work!

Offline Ovaleyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #231 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I like my vex 18 I fished with a guy who had a marcum really noisy.

Offline Grand Beach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #232 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I got a FL-18. Pricey but you get what you pay for

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #233 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I have a FL-20 Pro Pack & the wife has the Bird 55, We like them both and do not prefer one over the other. When my son is old enough we will get him a Marcum just to mix things up a bit.

You will be happy with either brand. :tipup:

Offline clawj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #234 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:22 AM »
I've used a Marcum lx5 for years, awesome awesome unit. But I just bought a vexilar fl8 for my kid and I've played with it, I have to say that it is pretty damn good for the money. Not quite as precise as the lx5 but it's half the price, it does the job just fine. I agree the bird 35 is a good flasher for the price but I'd get an entry level marcum way before the bird. It's like the ford dodge Chevy argument, they all do the job. I've used and fished with guys with them all and they all work overall.

Offline landlockedviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:43 AM »
Speaking from experience, Bird's don't play nice together. So if you fish with someone else regularily and he/she has a Humminbird, I wouldn't get another one. I have a ICE35 and I love it! But, when I fish with my buddy who has a ICE55, we have to take turns using our flashers as there is tons of interference when we are both in the same tent using our flashers at the same time.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #236 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:04 AM »

Flat liner, this topic comes up every season (sometimes several times a season). If you search previous posts you will find lots of good replies/reviews to supplement what is said here. It helped me make my choice.
Hope this helps you make yours.

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Ice 55.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #238 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:25 AM »
I agree the bird 35 is a good flasher for the price but I'd get an entry level marcum way before the bird.

Why? doesn't sound like a good deal, an entry level Marcum VX1 or LX3 are single beam flashers, a notch down from the Bird 35 (45, 55) which is double beam and yet they cost just as much as a double beam Bird 35. 
The Bird 35 for instance is in same class as the Marcum LX5 only for less money.....way less.

IMO Humminbirds have the best screens out there, then the high end Vex.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #239 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Flat liner, this topic comes up every season (sometimes several times a season). If you search previous posts you will find lots of good replies/reviews to supplement what is said here. It helped me make my choice.
Hope this helps you make yours.
Thanks, I will do that also,but these guys all have good pionts to consider.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.