Author Topic: perch jigs  (Read 47018 times)

Offline tcool

• Team IceShanty Regular
perch jigs
« on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:33 PM »
this maybe a dumb question but what the best/ your favorite perch jig. im in no way an expert but usually catch fish. right now i have some dots and some other ones from bass pro. they seem brighter than any lure id us in open water. i usually fish with perch eyes or minnows
Paisley go put this jack in my creel and grab me another fat head. wait heres another !

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: perch jigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2007, 08:43 PM »
for jiging swedish pimples. For bait I use small minows.

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2008, 04:08 PM »
When jigging for perch I like to use a vertical jig because they seem to be more attracted to it as crappie seem more attracted to a horizontal(talking about in which the direction if the hook point is facing. A variety of small jigs work great and my favorite thing is to tip with a mousie as the tails give a lot of action.
J. Cotier

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2008, 02:19 PM »
my #1 is a pimple with a perch eye.

my #2 is a good ole 1" tube jig with smelly jelly.  no bait.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2008, 02:05 PM »
Small white Swedish pimple or northlands forage minnow in hologram/glow. Vertical jigging is best in my books with the aforementioned tipped with a perch eye, pork belly or small hunk of salted shiner.
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:43 PM »
in real deep water[over 25 feet], i use a dropshot setup and any small glow jig with maggots or minnows. i let the rig touch bottom then pound it real hard stirring up the bottom. it seems to trigger the fish most of the time. when the perch are schooled and in a biting mood , just a plain gold aberdeen hook[ about size 8 ] will do the job.sinker on bottom and the jig about 6 inches from bottom. suspended perch are another story all together.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:02 PM »
anything that glows tipped with a waxie

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:12 PM »
my #1 is a pimple with a perch eye.

my #2 is a good ole 1" tube jig with smelly jelly.  no bait.

Hey Baldy I notice you live in Albuquerque, NM, I have an in law that lives there and i know he doesn't fish down there he comes to NY to fish.Were in the world do you fish, let alone ice fish.

Offline Perchcrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:14 AM »
When jigging for perch I like to use a vertical jig because they seem to be more attracted to it as crappie seem more attracted to a horizontal(talking about in which the direction if the hook point is facing. A variety of small jigs work great and my favorite thing is to tip with a mousie as the tails give a lot of action.
I agree a vertical jig of any kind and tip it with a waxie or an eyeball once you've landed a couple!  PC
A Bad day of fishing in better than a Good day at Work!!!

Offline madmichael365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:40 AM »
my choice is a swedish pimple, or a small glow jig, either one as long as its tipped with a grub or two
IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/fishincutie/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/IMG]

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2008, 01:23 PM »
Hey Baldy I notice you live in Albuquerque, NM, I have an in law that lives there and i know he doesn't fish down there he comes to NY to fish.Were in the world do you fish, let alone ice fish.
tracker 1,
I mainly fly fish in the summer/spring/fall in small streams around here.  Closest is the Jemez drainage.  I do spend a lot of time in CO though as that is where I was born and raised.  Also boat in some of the lakes in southern NE.
For ice fishing in NM, we have a few lakes that freeze up regularly (Eagle Nest, Fenton, Heron).  I mainly Ice fish in Eagle Nest for perch.  I also take a few trips to CO each year to Ice Fish.
The water here is pretty scarce so I do what I can.  I love to fish and one day I'll get back to a state with water.
Nick

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2008, 09:14 AM »
have to say if im using spikes i like to use a rat finkee purple
out in deep water ill use a small pimple tipped w/perch eyes

Offline cleatus

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:40 AM »
Here's a cheep jig that works for me.Take a 1/2"long spinner blade and solder it to a long shank gold hook...attach perch eye and jig down off bottom not up.
Give a man a fish,Feed him for a day.Teach a man to fish,feed him for the rest of his life.

Offline stilljiggn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DONT BE AN ICE HOLE!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:49 AM »
           #1....  Maramooska  tip with two  waxies
           #2....  Forage minnow  bouncing off bottom 

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:19 AM »
Size 2-3 sweedish pimple, if you go to size 3 or even size 4 it helps keep the smaller perch off your hook.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:12 AM »
Caty glo-jigs tipped with spikes or mousies. And a small jigging rap.Also the berkley gulp stuff isn't too shabby either.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:19 PM »
I like to use a Super Duper spoon with a perch eye or a maggot, real or artificial. If that's not working, I'll switch to the Pimple.

Offline big nor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:02 AM »
A big forged minnow any color that glows cant beat em!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:43 PM »
I tie mine, pink and white always produce. Orange is my next choice.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:00 PM »
bright demons from custom, big nasty looking heavy bibbits, whatever my wife is catching em on....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Been doing fairly well with a Kodiak Pegasus spoon (love the clicking from the wings) with the thin tail end that's been cut off Gulp Alive Fish Fry this year. Usually a horizontal bait user, but whatever it takes. www.fishyum.com

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:20 AM »
For years I have had the best luck with a half ounce bay de noc solid white pimple - with a chartreuse best tackle ditsi mitzi jig attached below - when attaching jig below I use a northlands stinger but I cut / snip the treble hook off and attach another little quick clip like the other end, bit of a process bending the clips and the expense but worth it for conveinience to change out the ditsi mitzi to a small green t-tot on cloudy overcast days.
Using the 1/2 oz. pimple allows for quick descent and flash attraction. Tipping ditsi mitzi with 1/2 mealworm to start until getting a perch eye. Now with the perch eye, when attaching take the eye and go through the back side where the vein / nerve hole is and centering through from of eyeball, less distortion to eye and slower release of fluids from eyeball membrane - bigger perch eye the better.     

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2009, 01:20 PM »
4mm fiskas gold w/ glow bead with 2 waxies or little atom micro nuggie
Dave

Offline Teeder Pole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • St. Lawrence Pike Puller
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2009, 07:45 PM »
My favourite is the smallest jigging rapala, in fire tiger or chartreuse. Approx 1" or so, I put an eye or piece of minnow meat on the tiny centre treble. I like them 'cuz it's easy to feel everything - even 30' down in a 30 KPH wind.

Teardrops are OK, but slow to get down and hard to feel well unless you're in a shack or there is no wind...

Tight Lines!
Catchin' Pike is What I Like!!!

Offline goony28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Silver Swedish Pimple with spikes and perch eye :D

Offline fatleroy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2009, 08:25 AM »
I have to make a correction to my previous post, it is a Best Tackle mitzi ditzi - not ditsi mitzi. Stocked up on them a few years ago and haven't bought any for a while, at Pokeys Tackle shop yesterday, found them and now the correction.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:12 AM »
A lot of jigs work well for perch but the best 3 ive found are forage minnow, genz worm and small swedish pimples,a lot of people swear by hali's and teardrops as well.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I've been having great success using the forage minnow.  The swedish pimple not so much.  I'm going to downsize and try the pimple again.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2009, 12:31 PM »
are people using the swedish pimple ataching the bait to the pimple on a single hook or just using the pimple to attract? what size pimple.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:13 PM »
1/64 horizontal livebait jig in lime/chartreuse (produced most jumbos for me) Cabelas stopped offering them(?)

1/16 Forage Minnow Spoon in Perch

#8 Forage Minnow Fry jig in Rainbow Trout in clear water
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.