Maine > Ice Fishing Maine

Is the ice safe?

(1/3) > >>

TogueHunter:
I heard a blurb on the news last night that the Maine Warden Service is advising people to stay off the ice because it isn't safe with all of the rain and crappy weather we've had.  Has anyone been out in Southern Maine, and can report ice conditions?  I'm going to try to get down to Middle Range today, to test the ice thickness in a couple of places.   Better to find out now than 6AM tomorrow morning I figure!

billditrite:
there is thick ice but with all the rain , places that have current are moving fast. the erodes the ice. also if water rises on an already frozen body of water , it can create pressure under the ice which makes thinner ice even more dangerous. be careful and why not where a pfd of some sort?. i will have a 75' rope attached to my life ring from my boat. ice pics and friends . lets be careful out there!

TogueHunter:

--- Quote from: billditrite on Dec 31, 2005, 07:44 AM ---there is thick ice but with all the rain , places that have current are moving fast. the erodes the ice. also if water rises on an already frozen body of water , it can create pressure under the ice which makes thinner ice even more dangerous. be careful and why not where a pfd of some sort?. i will have a 75' rope attached to my life ring from my boat. ice pics and friends . lets be careful out there!

--- End quote ---

Good advice Billditrite!  ;D  Except for the below freezing temps at night, the weather has really been playing against us. 
  I got a set of ice picks for Christmas (hope I never have to use them), and I made a throw bag with 75ft of rope that I plan to carry in my sled.  The PFD is a good idea for early ice too... I'm going to have to dig mine out of the boat

jrelaxin:
New year's Day swim is not on my agenda..........carefu l goin for all...ice cleats will be a must I bet...............fall in in and comin out lookin like cliff(in the spring)..thats not good.................. ..................... :tipup:

Marsh:
Be carful aroungd the edges and stream inlets that seems to be where most the trouble is.  If yu havent been out on the lake you plan to fish drill test holes!!  good luck to all tomarrow!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version