The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hand Auger  (Read 2324 times)

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hand Auger
« on: Oct 20, 2009, 01:50 AM »
Does anyone else use a hand auger anymore?  I don't think I have seen anyone else use one here since I've been here.  If it's kept sharp there is no beating it.  If it takes me longer than 30 seconds to drill a hole I get the blades sharpened. 

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Re: Hand Auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009, 01:54 AM »
I have both.  I fish Indiana and Michigan.  Seldom do we have enough ice here in Indiana to need a power auger, but the lakes I fish in Michigan have had anywhere from 12" - 30" of ice.  Hand drilling 30" of ice with a six inch auger is a lot of work!

Jeff

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2009, 04:20 AM »
I still use a hand auger. That's all I've got for now and I'm good w/ it. I drill the rock until I hit water.   

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2009, 04:46 AM »
I use a 5" lazer hand crank at the start of the ice season until maybe up to 7-8" then switch to my 8" lazer mag power drill.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:21 AM »
I have a nils master 8" that converts to a hand auger for early season then put it back on the powerhead for drilling in places like nelson and TRR.  Also have the Strikemaster power auger 8" for backup.  I know quite a few people that like to use hand augers and to tell you the truth they are better than using a spud bar to get through 24" of ice.  I love my nils setup because I can disconnect it quickly from the power head and put on the hand auger attatchment if I accidentally run outta go-go juice ;)

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2009, 11:02 AM »
Does anyone else use a hand auger anymore?  I don't think I have seen anyone else use one here since I've been here.  If it's kept sharp there is no beating it.  If it takes me longer than 30 seconds to drill a hole I get the blades sharpened. 
I do cary one. at the begining of the season if the ice is still thin, to keep my weight down. once the ice gets more than 6 inches its jiffy 30 model w/10" ice chewing water spitting hole boring power! man I love the sound of a power auger!
nnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaannnnnnnnnnaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn nnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nananananana!

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2009, 11:19 AM »
I have a hand auger, being in college the hand-me-downs are all I can afford. Works great, but I don't complain when a fishing buddy brings his gas auger.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2009, 11:23 AM »
Alot of times if I go by myself I just bring a bucket of gear and a hand auger. Dont use a sled or wheeler so I'm walking and carrying my stuff..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2009, 11:44 AM »
I have used a 6" hand auger exclusivly for the last few years, it's not so bad when the ice is 12" or less. I've been known to drill 30 - 40 holes in an outing. I have a 10" lazer and I don't use it at all any more although I did order an Icegator this year and am looking foreward to it. I was sick of the whole hauling gas around, the cold starts, and the noise. I think I'll like the Icegator alot and get alot of use out of it. Some of my friends are already chomping at the bit to try it out also.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:59 PM »
some just dont wanna know the sweet sensation of press the button and watch the ice pile,,,lol

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:54 PM »
My uncle had an electric lazer and I was impressed how it ate up the ice.  I haven't encountered thick enough ice to justify the cost yet though.  Probably have to get one if I start fishing mountain lakes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.