The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: crappies  (Read 1629 times)

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
crappies
« on: Oct 11, 2009, 12:39 AM »
Is there anywhere in the state that has crappies?  Never seen one caught here.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: crappies
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2009, 06:50 AM »
I started a post about what I knew but decided to google it instead, this info came from http://fieldguide.mt.gov/

The black crappie is more widespread across eastern Montana than the white crappie with some scattered populations into central and western Montana.

Bighorn Lake, Fort Peck Lake, Tongue River Reservoir, Fresno Reservoir and Nelson Reservoir are the only major lakes with substantial populations.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2009, 09:35 PM »
I have fished both nelson and TRR.  Have yet to catch a crappie at nelson but do quite well on the TRR.  Bit of a trek where I'm from but is definitely worth it for the amount of action you get.  Just my $.02

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2009, 02:05 AM »
Thanks a lot guys, I haven't seen any pulled up around here so I just got to wondering.  Anyone have any predictions on the first fish-able ice?  I went bird hunting last weekend I saw a couple ponds with skim ice.  Supposed to warm up later this week though.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2009, 02:35 AM »
I was fishing the Tiber Reservoir on the 5th of December last season, but this year I am stuck on the other side of the world where there is no sign of winter at all. :'(

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2009, 09:16 PM »
Blanchard Lake has lots and a few lunkers, some are showing up in Lower Stillwater also.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Over here we have them in McGweneggers slough, Blanchard Lake and a couple others I cant remember right now...   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.