The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: a walleye  (Read 796 times)

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
a walleye
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 06:51 PM »
i live near missoula and was wondering if anyone had any info to share on where can i go to have my best chance at catching a walleye without driving several hundred miles? dont care if they are big just hoping to get my first one on the ice,so looking for quantity more than quality,but if i can get both super.also is there any one bait that people do better on?and usually kinda deep water by structure if i can find it right?and if i fish at night am i better off setting up in the shallower water or deeper.thanks

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: a walleye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:10 AM »
Let me start off saying I am no walleye expert, but Ive caught a few and this is what worked for me.  Also, I don't really know what reservoir would be closest to Missoula, Im guessing the Helena are lakes.  If you really want to get one though Id spend the time and head out east, there are just more of them out there to be caught.  I get them in CF fishing for perch mid-day but not regular enough to recommend, silos and confederate.  Fish twilight periods or night fish, and structure is good.  I usually look for large areas of deep water which comes right up to shallow flats or points, sunken islands are good as are saddles between islands or shore.  Jigging worked better than the tipups set out but who really knows its all dependent on whats going on at any given time.
Best of luck and tight lines
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.