Author Topic: Finicky Shallow Bluegill (Underwater view)  (Read 974 times)

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Finicky Shallow Bluegill (Underwater view)
« on: Jan 27, 2024, 09:13 AM »
It's Sat AM, so that means a new video posted...

This time, I'm at a different pond in So. NH...the ice was sketchy in the middle (felt like soft frozen slush)...so I had retreat back to more solid ice. That meant that I couldn't fish where I wanted to, but I found some bluegill in shallow weeds which were fun. It's cool to see them underwater in (relatively) clear water.  You learn so much with an underwater camera (vs. a flasher or fish finder).  The downside to an underwater camera is that it's a pain to use in water >20' (or dirty water).  These were finicky bluegill, but I ended up catching a bunch (w/ some help from the camera).

Check it out if you have some time...

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Finicky Shallow Bluegill (Underwater view)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2024, 12:33 PM »
Nice! Thanks.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2024, 03:40 PM »
INTERESTING!

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2024, 07:01 PM »
I know waxies are a little expensive sometimes, but you can't beat a waxie or a mousie if you can find them, and I have proven that time and time again, my buddies will be using dillies exclusively, until they get out fished by mousies on a finicky bite, both bluegills and crappies.
Good video! Can't beat a sight bite or camera bite

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2024, 07:36 PM »
Good choice in not chancing that kind of ice. The camera is definitely cool, but the ice was so clear that you could see that way. Nice video.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2024, 06:54 AM »
Thx, guys!  I appreciate it.   ;D

I know waxies are a little expensive sometimes, but you can't beat a waxie or a mousie

Thx, I agree mousies are great....but they've been hard to find lately, tho.  And the prices are nuts!  I saw a 50ct online for $15 (plus shipping!).  Waxworm prices are also thru the roof, but easier to find.  So, i'm stubborn & refuse to pay thru the nose for bait, lol.  I have a worm bin at home, so it's very convenient for me to just grab some worms & go.

Usually, they don't give me so much trouble w/ worms.  I think I caught ~20 bluegills....and it should have been more like 3 dozen bluegills.  Also, I quite often run into other species, but not this trip - only bluegills.  The other species seemed shut down completely.  They were finicky on this trip.

I'll keep my eyes open for bait cups at reasonable prices.   ;D

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2024, 07:35 AM »
Cool video….I’m always surprised when and if I catch a bluegill thru the ice..
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2024, 09:10 AM »
what kind of camera and how many feet of cable does it have?
Salmonemia

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2024, 10:48 AM »
what kind of camera and how many feet of cable does it have?

there's 2 cameras....1 so I can see & fish....and 1 to record video....

i try to list everything out in the video description, so also can check there, too.

camera for video is a Aqua-Vu Strike Vu.....there's no cable, so you need to rig up something.  it's not the greatest engineering design (no on/off button - which creates other issues)....but it is functional.

camera for fishing is a cheap underwater camera from Amazon (mine is an older model, but closest thing would be $99 Moocor camera).  You could also get $500 Aqua-Vu micro & lots of models in between for any budget.  best $100 that I've spent on icefishing equipment.   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.