Author Topic: Yuba Lake perch fishing  (Read 2853 times)

Offline RDO

• IceShanty Rookie
Yuba Lake perch fishing
« on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:46 PM »
Hello Utah icefishermen, I was able to make it down to Yuba yesterday, and I have to say that jumbo perch fishing is on the way back in Utah. Quality & size of yellow perch at this resivoir is back to the late 80's & early 90's level. I was able to ice 10 fish in 3 hours late in the day which were awasome specimens. the smallest was 11" and brought home 3 at 13" so I was pleased.  The bite was a little slow for a school type fish but almost every hit and catch was a dandy. only released 2 fish in the 8" range which I would have normally kept at other lakes.  Was fishing in shallow water at about 13' so releasing was very easy. Talked to some other fishermen that have had some similar results. My hats off to the fish and game dept. for a great sucess at this fishery. Plan to get down there soon for another try. Good luck and happy fishing.   RDO

Offline RDO

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Yuba Lake perch fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:49 PM »
I'm new to this site and format so I'm going to see if I can get some pics posted about the nice perch I caught. I would love to share them with all the folks out there.

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:30 AM »
I haven't fished Yuba since the mid-90s.  It was fantastic then, but I was actually fishing out of my boat in January then.  My experience ice fishing it has been limited at best.  It sounds like it might again be worth the drive.  Were you out of Oasis or Painted Rocks?
S.

Offline RDO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:43 PM »
Reply to recent post.  I was out from the State park & marina accessed from I15.  Was only out a short way from the boat ramp. On my next visit I'm going to take my atv so I can do more moving around, & would also like to try over by painted rocks, because years ago that was the better side of the lake. Hope this helps. Ps haven't figured out how to get pics posted yet but am working on it.  RDO

Offline auger in

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Nice to hear that you found some nice fish.  Nice to hear they were from Yuba.  That is some good eating.  I would be very happy to see Yuba come back to it's glory, even if it was the way it was when they opened it to perch fishing again. It's a 200 mile RT for me, so I have fished closer the past 2 years.

Offline RDO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010, 12:05 AM »
Here we go again, was at the lake last Sat. fished all day and brought home 13, again nothing under 11" and 3 at 13" or a tad over. Like the week before hits were soft and far between. had about 3 throw backs but with some diligent a person can put some really nice fish on the table, not to mention they just might be the best eating fish you can catch anywhere. Fished across the lake from the boat ramp at the state park in water from 10' deep to about 25' and caught some at all depths, but the 10 ' hole did produce the most. I'm going to try to get out there again soon but can't say for sure. Hope this encourages some others to get out and give it a try.  Good luck.   RDO

Offline linch1970

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:53 PM »
  I realize this is a old thread anyway I went by there yesterday it was frozen about 1 mile south of p.o.rocks boat ramp. Did anyone have very good luck last year on the jumbo perch I fished it 5 times last year and only caught 8 perch wondering were all the perch went I drilled a lot of holes but not much action. Anyone care to speculate?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:11 PM »
i myself have never fished yube but my question is how many people have success fishing for perch at the depths in this post(10-25ft)? im usually in 30-50ft when perch fishing. the times i have fished a little shallower i didnt catch a thing.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:03 PM »
It depends on the body of water. At Fish Lake I fish for perch in 25' or less. The perch are in the weed bed around the shore, I have never caught them in deeper water there. But, generally I fish for perch in much deeper water40-60' at others waters.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:15 PM »
I was hoping that I haven't been missin out on some nice perch in shallower water all these years.lol I mainly fish for perch at rockport, echo and pineview 30-50 fow
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.