Author Topic: Recommendtions on cold weather gear?  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Recommendtions on cold weather gear?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2023, 10:10 AM »
I haven't come across just the pants in any stores yet. Honestly those would probably work fine for me, I'm just looking for something more waterproof when I'm kneeling. But figure I may as well get float bibs for peace of mind early and late ice.

It's not often I end up too cold. I work outdoors year round, I've got the baselayer combos nailed down for most situations. But there's no improvising waterproofing
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 05, 2023, 12:29 PM »
The Trekker is 60g of insulation ...NOTE there is no side elastic ...so they fit like cheap snow bibs...so if you figure on layering them going up in size is a good idea .

I would say this is true about the jacket.

I wear a large for the most part but the bibs in large were massive on me, Im 5’ 11” 185lbs. Medium bibs fit me perfectly. Size large jacket also fits well.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Feb 05, 2023, 03:34 PM »
I have striker ice, and it has never let me down. I'm pretty convinced I could sleep out on the ice in that suit, without a shelter. Most of the time I am too warm.  They make several weights.  If I bought again, I would probably get the next weight down to get rid of some of the bulk.  The Sureflote technology provides some peace of mind about going through, for both you and your loved ones.

Have the predator and hardwater.  The hardwater is too warm for long pulls so usually just rock the bibs.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:17 AM »
I'm adding one more thing .IMHO whatever you buy should be black to soak up any rays from the sun on those cold days on the ice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2023, 01:40 PM »
That and grow a sick beard if ya can.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2023, 02:00 PM »
If you are going striker go with the hardwater bib and the climate jacket as this is the best combination.  They Hardwater bibs use the heavy duty 600D outer material (climate uses a lighter outer material) and they do not have the heavy liner that the climate bib does.  I also like bibs that do not have a lot of insulation so I can layer up or down depending on temp.  I like the climate jacket as it is 3 very functional jackets in one.  You can wear just the liner on nice days, just the outer on warmer windy or precipitation days and both on colder and or precipitation days.  Both jackets have vents.  Under my striker outer wear I wear all merino right down to the skivvies! You cant beat merino after you have worked up a little sweat then transition to a time of lower physical output and start to cool off.

up north sports is having a Striker sale.

https://www.upnorthsports.com/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-shop-by-brand/striker/

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:15 PM »
I'm a big fan of uninsulated outer layers.  Especially bibs.

I'm wearing a Cabela's Guidewear coat.  It has tons of pockets. I have some no name brand bibs.

I normally wear expedition/heavy weight poly pants, and then if it is really cold a pair of nylon wind/running pants under the bibs.

I have a number of different weight poly tops and will use either a light or a heavy weight fleece jacket under the jacket.

I typically pack a down vest as a back up in case it gets colder than I expected.

Sorel Caribou boots with a Dr Shoals type of insert to add some arch support.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.