Author Topic: Recommendtions on cold weather gear?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline MikeOGNR

• IceShanty Rookie
Recommendtions on cold weather gear?
« on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:13 PM »
Currently I wear my wool hunting clothes under my 1 piece Carthartt suit. Any one try the ice jackets and bibs Eskimo make are they worth it?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Recommendtions on cold weather gear?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:31 PM »
Currently I wear my wool hunting clothes under my 1 piece Carthartt suit. Any one try the ice jackets and bibs Eskimo make are they worth it?

This question  is like asking for advise on picking a wife..

I like a poly propylene base, wool pants( also wear camo fleece),wool sweater  and under armor nylon hooded sweatshirt,  during cold spells I wear a wool vest over it, , I have striker bibs and jacket, but only wear the jacket when irs realy cold or windy..I wear polypropylene liners and a single  pair of wool socks, if its sloppy, I wear muck artic pro, if it's cold and snow, I wear Baffin snow monsters
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2023, 06:44 PM »
I also have the Striker bibs and jacket and also only wear the jacket when it's cold, windy or I'm riding out on my snowmobile. Both are great. If you get the bibs, take the towels off when you're riding a machine because you may lose them.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:03 PM »

I like a poly propylene base, wool pants( also wear camo fleece),wool sweater  and under armor nylon hooded sweatshirt,  during cold spells I wear a wool vest over it, , I have striker bibs and jacket, but only wear the jacket when irs realy cold or windy..I wear polypropylene liners and a single  pair of wool socks, if its sloppy, I wear muck artic pro, if it's cold and snow, I wear Baffin snow monsters

I swear the polypropylene is the best base layer.  I regret getting rid of some of my stuff years ago now that I'm in need it it again. Wool is amazing, but the price got ridiculous all of a sudden. But you could pick up a polypropylene base layer or poly/wool blend at an army surplus for next to nothing and, yeah maybe the fit wasn't great, but the performance was amazing and barely any cost
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2023, 07:50 PM »
Base layer is most important. I swear by 100% merino wool.  Yes, it’s expensive but if you take care of it it will last a very long time!  Minus 33 brand makes an amazing merino wool base layer. Look at their “expedition” weight for maximum warmth…

Stay warm!

Dan

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2023, 04:39 AM »
Check out the striker website
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2023, 07:11 AM »
Other than today, cold hasn't been much of a problem - so you can wear pretty much anything you like.

I haven't worn a base layer or long underwear all season - haven't needed it.

I've got an old Cabela's guide wear suit (uninsulated bibs + jacket), then I layer underneath it as needed (mostly w/ fleece & thinsulate).  Some of the insulated icefishing bibs (even w/o the jacket) are very warm and I'd be sweating my nuts off on warm days pretty quickly in those (esp. w/ long underwear + layers on underneath).  If you stay in 1 place, maybe it makes sense.  I move around alot.

There's a few random things that I like....
- HotHands Toe Warmers.....keeps my toes warm even in slush.....love those things!
- Atlas gloves (gray ones) - just thick enough to keep my hands warm & still maintain feel for jigging.  If it's really cold, I'll take the liner out of my HT Mitts & use the black windproof/waterproof mitt as an over-mitt on my non-jigging hand (on top of my glove).
- Mustad Multi-Use tube....got it on sale for $1....keeps the wind off my neck & chin (& keeps my hat on in the wind).  Well worth the $ - I'd even pay full price for it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2023, 07:27 AM »

I just got the Eskimo Scout pants ..test ran them the other day ..seemed ok ..these will be my early/late ice option .

Get a float suit..lots of options out there from lots of manufacturers...get the bibs first..you will always wear the bibs and  good pricing  can be found..get at least 100g of insulation ..going up a size in the jacket is not a bad idea especially if you like to layer . But most folks go with proper base layering ...a good hoodie and a vest on most days..jacket is reserved for wind and/or brutal days

base layers ...hard to beat wool ...but the polyproline/fleece options are good as well .. I start with silk weight and then adjust from there by adding 2,3,4  weights mid layer depending on the days conditions. as for your outer layer I have a pair of Wrangler nylon pants ..breathable ...and NO BLUE JEANS. I believe in always wearing a vest ..with a chest pocket for my cell phone. I got a soft shell jacket off Sportsmans Guide and that is my outer layer on most days.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2023, 11:15 AM »
What it comes down to if “ your” comfort level and what you’re willing to spend ,,,,  the bibs are nice, they for the most part are waterproof/resistant as well as wind proof, such is like with the jackets that you can buy along with the bibs….Wool is also great, like shooter said a good base layer is key.   I winter hike as well as ice fish, so my base layer is a poly or merino wool, then a good mid layer of fleece,  then a shell for wind,rain or snow. 
If your feet are prone to cold, a good poly liner and a wool blend sock [ darn toughs ] expensive sock but made in the USA in Vermont and have a great warranty .    No cotton….cotton kills I learned in a winter survival class.
You could spend a ton of money and still be cold, just comes down to your own comfort level
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2023, 12:03 PM »
I'm a wool guy and poly as well. Sales will be good this year as it's a warmer winter there gonna unload inventory. I prefer poly baselayer pants over wool. I like wool but the wool baselayer pants always itch behind my knees when I'm jigging. Ems power stretch is excellent.  Top half i wear multiple layers. 2 wool long sleeve shirts. One is a quarter zip neck. I wear a long sleeve heavy weight as base layer then quarter zip on top. Then a heavyweight wool Hoodie and a wool vest on top of that. I never where they jacket unless it's windy. I use Stryker ice suit bibs and jacket as required.  This system is bullet proof. Also. A good fur Alaskan trapper hat and a 2 sock system.  Under socks are very thin then a thicker pair on top. I put heavy socks on when I get to the lake. Also a wool neck gaiter is great for breezy days.
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2023, 12:17 PM »
 Look at woolx there having a sale now. Easy returns and exchanges.  Bought a few items from them zero issues fast shipping. 
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2023, 12:23 PM »
I do Sitka Merino wool heavy bottoms and top, then Sitka heavy weight hoody and heavyweight bottom over that then a heavy hoodie like Arborwear and then
My Sitka Hudson jacket and bibs. You get what you pay for. But you certainly pay. For strictly ice fishing I think striker makes the best stuff in the game no question.

For socks they are a heavyweight merino lacrosse sock I wear  with a 1600g Lacrosse boot
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2023, 12:50 PM »
Bottom: Silk leggings
               Sherpa lined poly long johns
               Refrigiware insulated bottoms

Top: Regular thermal
         Sherpa lined poly top
          Sherpa lined Hoodie
          Refrigiware insulated top

Feet: Silk liners
           Wool socks ( I use any brand )
           Bogs Bozeman boot ( best I have           
           ever worn)

Currently wearing a Frabill bib/jacket ice suit. I have never been a big fan of it, but have used it for the past 7 years. Pretty sure I'm going WindRider next season. Love their soft water stuff.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2023, 01:45 PM »
Bottoms.                                                   Ems tech wick base layer
Ems Merino Wool mid weight
Striker Apex Bibs

Top.

Ems tech wick base layer
Ems Merino Wool mid weight
Aftco hoodie
LL Bean Prima Loft lined with Shell

Feet.

Smart Wool socks
Baffin Control Max Boots

Head and Hands: Joka Therm Mittens and Merino Beanie from Turtle Fur

If it’s 50 degrees or warmer I’ll wear my Striker Rain Bibs and Artic Muck boots

If it’s 40 degrees or warmer I’ll wear my LL Bean Prima Loft lined wool pants and my Baffin

when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2023, 02:22 PM »
Anyone familiar with RefrigiWear? I have a vintage coverall (I called it my snowmobile suit) which I purchased from Al’s Rod & Gun back in The 60’s…it is the warmest garment ive ever owned and it’s still like new as I only used it for sledding/ice fishing back in the day and for extreme cold/snow removal now. The front zipper broke a couple years back so I called the company (still manufacturing cold weather clothing in the USA) I believe in Georgia. They have a repair shop there so I vacuum packed it and sent it in.
The ladies in the repair shop were all tickled that this 60 year old suit was still in great condition and sent me an email to that affect when it was finished being repaired. When ai asked the price of the repair the lady said “oh, no charge!”
That is service after the sale that goes above and beyond. They put out a pretty comprehensive catalog and online sales of course. In their catalog they have an old magazine ad showing where their product can be purchased and sure enough “Al’s Rod&Gun” was on that list! 😂 ahhh nostalgia!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2023, 02:54 PM »
Anyone familiar with RefrigiWear? I have a vintage coverall (I called it my snowmobile suit) which I purchased from Al’s Rod & Gun back in The 60’s…it is the warmest garment ive ever owned and it’s still like new as I only used it for sledding/ice fishing back in the day and for extreme cold/snow removal now. The front zipper broke a couple years back so I called the company (still manufacturing cold weather clothing in the USA) I believe in Georgia. They have a repair shop there so I vacuum packed it and sent it in.
The ladies in the repair shop were all tickled that this 60 year old suit was still in great condition and sent me an email to that affect when it was finished being repaired. When ai asked the price of the repair the lady said “oh, no charge!”
That is service after the sale that goes above and beyond. They put out a pretty comprehensive catalog and online sales of course. In their catalog they have an old magazine ad showing where their product can be purchased and sure enough “Al’s Rod&Gun” was on that list! 😂 ahhh nostalgia!

I sure am...as I mentioned above. I have this jacket (mine has a hood) with matching pants that I bought back in the mid '90's and still wear them to this day. I wear it as my last layer before my ice suit. Good stuff and great price.

https://refrigiwear.com/product/cooler-wear-jacket/
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2023, 03:00 PM »
I sure am...as I mentioned above. I have this jacket (mine has a hood) with matching pants that I bought back in the mid '90's and still wear them to this day. I wear it as my last layer before my ice suit. Good stuff and great price.

https://refrigiwear.com/product/cooler-wear-jacket/
👍
I agree wholeheartedly!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2023, 03:23 PM »

Good stuff and the service you received is unheard of today !  :thumbsup:

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2023, 04:45 PM »
Cabelas ECWCS heavyweight long underwear,top and bottom. It is a good take-off of what the military gave us in extreme cold weather areas. I use Labonville insulated pants made in Berlin ,NH .A heavy wool shirt and a Carhartt heavy weight coat, good for 30 below with no wind. I don't fish in 30 below anymore but I have and this set-up works well. 1600 gram Lacrosse Alpha Burly pro boots keep the feet warm with a pair of heavy weight Darn Tough socks. :)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2023, 04:46 PM »

What's your advice on that Joe?  God knows I need it!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2023, 07:32 PM »
👍
I agree wholeheartedly!

As soon as I saw Al's rod and gun I knew itvwas you,there arnt  many of us that remember that place,
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2023, 10:23 PM »
As soon as I saw Al's rod and gun I knew itvwas you,there arnt  many of us that remember that place,

;D  ;)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2023, 10:37 PM »
I run heavy weight base layers from ems. Fleece lined pants from Carhartt or Eddie Bauer. Long sleeve t shirt and a fleece lined shirt from ll Bean and a north face fleece sweatshirt. Eskimo superior bibs. Gloves neck warmer and an insulated hat. Haven't worn a coat in years. Regular socks and Cabela's Trans-Alaska pac boots. Good to go.....
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2023, 02:42 AM »
I have striker ice, and it has never let me down. I'm pretty convinced I could sleep out on the ice in that suit, without a shelter. Most of the time I am too warm.  They make several weights.  If I bought again, I would probably get the next weight down to get rid of some of the bulk.  The Sureflote technology provides some peace of mind about going through, for both you and your loved ones. 

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2023, 05:41 AM »
Another vote for striker. I got their trekker bibs and jacket for $240 with free shipping from the tackle shack linked in the page ads. Not sure if they are still offering that deal but might be worth checking out.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2023, 09:29 AM »
Another vote for striker. I got their trekker bibs and jacket for $240 with free shipping from the tackle shack linked in the page ads. Not sure if they are still offering that deal but might be worth checking out.

The trekkers are the lighter weight, right? Meant for being mobile without getting overheated?

I'm keeping my eye out for a decent set of waterproof (ideally float suit) bibs. I'm typically fishing in slightly warmer weather, have a hub in case it's too cold to just sit out, and about 50% of my fishing requires a bit of a haul out to the ice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2023, 09:49 AM »
The trekkers are the lighter weight, right? Meant for being mobile without getting overheated?

I'm keeping my eye out for a decent set of waterproof (ideally float suit) bibs. I'm typically fishing in slightly warmer weather, have a hub in case it's too cold to just sit out, and about 50% of my fishing requires a bit of a haul out to the ice

The Trekker is 60g of insulation ...NOTE there is no side elastic ...so they fit like cheap snow bibs...so if you figure on layering them going up in size is a good idea .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2023, 09:52 AM »
Good to know

Right now, while all the stores are starting to pug gear and tackle on sale, the clothing is still at full price

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2023, 10:02 AM »
Good to know

Right now, while all the stores are starting to pug gear and tackle on sale, the clothing is still at full price

Sales have been tough on clothing ..MSRP still rules the roost..end of season sale will have some bargins Thorne Bros had some great sales end of season ..jump on them fast popular sizes run out fast .

Rule of thumb ..100g of insulation will get you through most situations ...adjusting your base layers accordingly .

I just got the Eskimo Scout pants  ..I have not put them through their paces yet only one outing ...but they fill a niche with 60g of insulation . I also have the Trekker bibs ...no elastic in the side does not make me happy as I do love my Striker Praetor jacket/bibs .

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2023, 10:05 AM »
I got the Clam IceArmor Rise Float Parka and Bibs just about a year ago.  Love them.  Light weight but very warm. Lots of pockets and well designed.   I found them on sale online for about 40% off. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.