Author Topic: Glow Jigs....How long do they last  (Read 3826 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Glow Jigs....How long do they last
« on: Nov 15, 2005, 10:43 AM »
I don't have a ton of glow jigs. I picked up a few last season along with a LED flasher, I have added more to my collection this year.

Last season I was never sure how long to charge them up and how ofter I should be re-charging the glow. Is there a rule of thumb out there or is it hit or miss.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Glow Jigs....How long do they last
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2005, 11:37 AM »
the ones we use for crappie are good for a couple minutes then they need a recharge....I keep it simple...if it's not glowing...recharge it ;D

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2005, 11:39 AM »
I charge them for about 20 seconds every 5 minutes or so.
Some brands (paints) last longer than others...

Offline dldeadstick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NW Angle Blizzard
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2005, 12:46 PM »
Also, the color matters.  For example, green holds its charge longer than red which holds its charge longer than blue I think (I know green holds it the longest).

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2005, 12:54 PM »
I hang mine in the window for sunlight all through the fall and then usually for as long as I can around christmas. I only use pink and green and they will last for at least 10 trips. Green does last longer in the water. I'm surprised to learn you guys think this is a problem. Let them have plenty of sunlight (leave your tackle box open) and they should be fine.
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline dldeadstick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NW Angle Blizzard
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2005, 12:59 PM »
Not that it matters to me all that much - I usually don't use glow a ton (crappies and sometimes late night or early morning walleyes), I just know that because I occasionally teach some engineering classes at a local University and each semester I do a class on ice fishing (from an engineering perspective - flashers, cameras, and yes - glow lures and motorized rods and such).  I must have run across it doing some "research" somewhere :)

CSP88

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:32 PM »
Also, the color matters.  For example, green holds its charge longer than red which holds its charge longer than blue I think (I know green holds it the longest).

You are somewhat correct.  Actually blue glows the longest, with red glowing the shortest.

Brightest:                   
1. Red
2. Green
3. Yellow
4. Blue

Longest:
1. Blue
2. Yellow
3. Green
4. Red

Chad

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2005, 10:03 PM »
I use a camera flaxh and it gets them glowing brightly in a flash.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2005, 10:13 PM »
Personally  I don't use much of glow on my jigs,   I think less is more.  It keeps the offering look more natural. For exaple, I think that the new salmo chubby darter that is coated with glow paint is an overkill.  It probably looks like a light bulb when fully charged.  I had good luck with those storm jigging minnows that glow very faintly with dark reds and chartuse and I have a bunch of light blue jigs that produce very well.  I'm sure that a lot of glow paint works some of the time when fish are agressive,  but most of the time they're not.  Just my two cents  i guess,                              J.

Offline fishinQB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2005, 03:19 PM »
Green and Red work the best for me.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2005, 10:18 AM »
Right now is a good time to test them, before the ice is in.  Set them all on the table, blast them with a mag light, and find out for yourself which shine brighter, which shine longer, and which just plain suck.  Then you can lable your containers, so you wont be guessing again and trying to remember this post when you are sitting on the ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.