Author Topic: ION 10 inch ?  (Read 6765 times)

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ION 10 inch ?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Isn't this just the funniest thing , I tried last week with emails, and at least 5 times of calling and yes I sat the phone down and waited over 30 mins , iv tried back on the same day a few times ,

So today instead of hitting the number to talk to customer service , I went to the number 5 and it took me to dealer ordering person ,  I left a really good message and told them what I thought of the customer service and after spending this kind of money on the new ION X and can't even get ahold of anyone ,

Didn't take long and my phone was ringing and it was from the lady in charge at customers service, she was honest so I think and believe, said they the company that now owns ION and Eskimo and she told me the name of it but I can't honestly remember ,

said they are overwhelmed with phone calls , like 800 a day , next year they will be better prepared
She said yes the lastest model somehow a bunch got sent out with the wrong paint on them and it's  caused some issue , she is UPS me one in the morning for next week , plus throwing it a set of blades ,

This at least made me happy , like I said , it's light and I'm getting older , I love it for no mixing gas , it's done ok with drilling past 36 inches into solid ice , only once it stuck on me ,   She did tell me that they do have 10 inch ones and I said no thanks , I know it couldn't handle it

So now I do feel a lot better after them calling me , I  just have to get me a back up auger in a 10 inch for when I want a bigger hole
If I could find someone that has a 10 inch ION that has drilled lots of holes up here in Canada , then maybe I'll spend the $150 for a new blade if it handles the ice ,
I have a big trip next week over to Manitoba for a few days and I have to make my mind up by the end of the weekend on which way I'm going

I can message you the name of a good friend who sold his 10" ion after one day use on lake Winnipeg. He was pissed at the lack of performance on 40" of ice. The 8 seems to work fine, but he felt the 10 was too much for the motor.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 13, 2017, 04:48 PM »
Sold it?  Why wouldnt he just return it after only one days use??

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #32 on: Feb 13, 2017, 04:52 PM »
10 inch holes are an abomination, and there is no place for them in 99.9999 % of the waters that can be ice fished.

Sounds like a guy that doesn't catch big fish  ;D

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 13, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Sold it?  Why wouldnt he just return it after only one days use??
He used it. Not his style to return something used.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 13, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Guys with 10" holes release their fish horizontally, not vertically.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2017, 12:30 PM »
A 10 inch hole on 40 inches of ice is way beyond any electrics expectations.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2017, 12:38 PM »
I can't remember the last time I saw 40" of ice - thanks global warming.  Going to be almost 60 degrees in the Twin Cities this weekend.  Last year I recall a warm up in February that stopped the ice from getting thicker. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Walleyes at heart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2017, 12:32 PM »
I can message you the name of a good friend who sold his 10" ion after one day use on lake Winnipeg. He was pissed at the lack of performance on 40" of ice. The 8 seems to work fine, but he felt the 10 was too much for the motor.

I would agree , I just got back and I drilled some holes near the heaves and it was over 40 inches , I love the ION for what it is , light weight and no smell of gas or oil ,
But drilling a 10 inch hole in that ice , never would it handle it ,

I did meet a couple nice guys from North Dakota, he had a 10 inch strike master electric and he was drilling 10 inch holes , I need to do some homework on that auger , it seemed to have lots of balls

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 24, 2017, 07:57 PM »
I own an ion 10" and yes it chews through battery but my wheelhouse only as five holes so it does the job, I own a gas auger for portable fishing. I have not had to deal with their customer service beings I have not had a problem but if I had one complaint it would be to re-position the reverse switch farther up. It's awkward running it as far back as it is, you sacrifice grip holding on that far back on the handle. Just my two cents
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2017, 05:59 PM »
I'll keep on drilling after you run out of gas... hahaha.

I know a few Ion owners. They get about 40 holes from a full charge. I get about the same from a tank of fuel. I can refill my gas tank in two minutes without leaving the ice.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 25, 2017, 06:47 PM »
I know a few Ion owners. They get about 40 holes from a full charge. I get about the same from a tank of fuel. I can refill my gas tank in two minutes without leaving the ice.

a propane unit gets way better holes per fill...i just had to..nobody was talking about propane. I think its because ive got a propane on the way...hehe

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #41 on: Mar 26, 2017, 09:08 AM »
They may only get 40 holes per charge if the ice is 3' thick.....otherwise they will still as many holes as they want...

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 29, 2017, 10:47 AM »
I use an ion 10 inch for my wheelhouse simply because if they freeze in a little I'll still have enough hole.  The 10 inch does cut down on your hole count but with only five holes to drill I'm not too concerned
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 29, 2017, 07:23 PM »
They may only get 40 holes per charge if the ice is 3' thick.....otherwise they will still as many holes as they want...

40 holes is with an 8 inch bit through 30 inches of ice. Unless you're using one auger to drill for a big crowd 40 holes is usually more than most of us drill in a day. Ice around here is usually 2+ feet by mid January and stays that thick until early April. Last week I was drilling through 35 inches.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 30, 2017, 11:41 AM »
Anybody that wants to sell a 10in ion cheap I'm here for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.