Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Little River accident  (Read 2588 times)

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Little River accident
« on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Heard from BIL that somebody went thru at  Little River and dive team sent.     Any info?
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline fishwater45

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Little River accident
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:53 AM »
My Neighbor just called me, he said two guys went through the ice yesturday and were holding on trying to get out.  Many people on shore trying to help, unfortunately the two guys drowned and did not make it.  Rescue crews pulled the bodies out at 8:30pm.  I had two buddies fishing that lake Saturday into the evening and said ice was real sketchy.  Terrible News.

This is second hand news, but that is what I heard.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Note to self, don't fall in in southern Iowa.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:14 PM »
Very bad news. Life jackets and ice picks. Reed's in Minnesota has 20% of Striker Ice suits. Ordered a set in camo, can use for duck hunting also.

Offline cbducks78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:22 PM »
Sorry to hear of this.......
Anytime I go out I carry 100' of rope if anyone else should go in and ice picks around my neck for myself.  Even then, I've stayed away from southern Iowa.  Fished that lake from a boat in late December, followed by Too much rain, tile lines are pumping warm water into drainage ponds including lakes, just makes for bad ice conditions this year down there. 

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:49 PM »
http://www.kmaland.com/news/dive-team-helps-in-recovering-ice-fisher/article_934bcd3e-c8f1-11e5-b424-7bac14b073a6.html

I think this is the article.

It's always terrible/tragic to hear when someone dies doing a sport that they love, as with many /all sports it does happen.  It is an unfortunate reminder to all of us that we need to be prepared even when we think the ice is "safe".  A few years back, when the guy drown at George Wyth was a real eye opener to me (why?  my age, family, how close to me it occurred...).  I was a couple of miles away on "good ice".  No spud bar, No ice picks, No flotation device.  That night I ordered a floating ice suite and ice picks.  The next season I picked up a spud bar.  I hate to say that it took something so tragic to really open my eyes.  This might sound terrible, but that man losing his life may save mine (or someone elses) someday.  Whether I fall through (wearing my floating ice suit) and can get out, or don't fall through at all due to being more cautious. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:52 PM »
Don't have a flotation suit yet! Have always carried a rope, and have always used a spud bar! By the way what does something that test ice have to do with a potato? Probably not the place for levity!

All you can do is take as few risks as you can! Proper equipment minimizes those risks!

Please keep,it safe! JDL

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Tragic! Have you read the comments certain idiots made on these news links! "Do you think alcohol was involved?" Or      "How low were their IQs?" Wow people! That's exactly what the mother and widow of these two men wanna hear! How low does their IQ have to be too post something so insensitive?Lower than the men that died! That's for sure! I know one thing, my six year old son is wearing a life jacket till he's big enough for a hardwater suit! I pray those men have ice for eternity with enough slabs to feed the heavens!!! RIP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.