Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Buddy Heaters  (Read 1062 times)

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big Buddy Heaters
« on: Dec 08, 2011, 12:47 AM »
I have been contemplating getting one of the new style Big Buddy (18,000byu) heaters that has the fan in it. I have a question to all of you that own one, do you have a problem with the oxygen sensor in the heater turning it off if you are running a couple of 2 mantle coleman white gas lanterns at the same time for light? I have a Clam 5600 2 man shack that I set up when it's windy and really cold out. Tight Lines to all when we finally get some hard water!

Offline hawkfan24

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Buddy Heaters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:54 AM »
I just bought a big buddy and haven't fished with it yet.  But in the past I have used the regular buddy heater.  When it was real cold last year my brother and I both were running the regular buddy heaters and had issues with them shutting off, but after we opened both vents in my eskimo flipover they were fine.  I'd just make sure your vents are open or open a door once in awhile if you can.  I would think that with the fan on the big buddy that would help move the air around even more in your shack is vented.  But this is all just opinion, no experience.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:27 AM »
The oxygen sensor will save your life.  I've been in a shelter a little to long before and the lighter wouldn't even light.  I think its a great idea that they have that built in. 

Offline IceHaus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:16 AM »
I fished with a Big Buddy heater all last winter with a 2-mantle propane lantern and 2-3 guys in a Clam Voyager with no problems. 
I agree with IAEYE. If it shuts off on you, it's time to open some vents. You won't have to worry about cold. The thing gets HOT.

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Just my opinion, but if you are going to be running 2 lanterns also, the big buddy might be a little overkill. Those suitcase style shacks are a lot warmer, IMO, than a flipover. 99% of the time my regular buddy heats my 2 man flipover just fine, only if it's really cold and windy do I use my sons big buddy. When I started ice fishing, the only heat I had in my shappell 3000 was a coleman gas lantern, and I rarely got too cold.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Safety notice:  FYI the Buddy Heaters do have an oxygen shut off on the pilot as a safety feature as most propane heaters do out on the market. However you can have good oxygen present and still have high CO2 levels. Make Sure you ventilate also!!!!!
Now back to you previously scheduled program!!!

Thanks
http://

Offline holdem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:15 PM »
The oxygen sensor will save your life.  I've been in a shelter a little to long before and the lighter wouldn't even light.  I think its a great idea that they have that built in.

x2... probably saved me one day on Spirit last year.
Genesis 27:3

Offline superstockbigblock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:16 PM »
You will like the big buddy, get the hose kit for it, on a really cold day it takes gas out of the tanks so quick they freeze. I use a 20lb tank off the grill. I was out one time in -20 with a bad wind and had to put the tank inside the hut. Keep the vents open. I have a clam 5600 and a yukon flip over, I used to run a reg. buddy but sold it cause it wouldn't keep up in the 5600 on the real cold days when sane people wouldn't think about going outside.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:10 PM »
Truth is you don't need the Big Buddy, you would be just fine with the normal size Buddy. I have used it in a big Clam Voyager and it stayed hot even then, you just need to make sure you put some snow on the flaps outside so no wind comes in. Open the vents up top and WAH-LAH, super warm shack and no dying of CO poisoning. Two lanterns seems a bit overkill.

Offline jurrensb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2011, 07:57 PM »
If you are worried about light.  for 8 dollars you can get those silver ufo looking led lights in the camping section of wal-mart.  Things run about 4 hours on 4 AA batteries.  They throw out a ton of light for how small they are. 
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline Hi Tech

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:05 AM »
I have both the reg. buddy and the big buddy, I usually take the big buddy but seldome run it on high(I just don't have to change tanks as often). I sometimes use the gas lantern  and never had a problem with ventilation but due to the drinks and the smokes the door or the window is open often. ;D I like the hanging LED lights alot, I don't even have to take them down when I move, just flip and go!! Good luck on the ice!! :)

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Thanks guys for all of your input/advise. I bought one today at Sportsmans Warehouse and made a rack to cook on it as well. I installed some Reflectics insulation with spray glue inside the roof of my Clam 5600 last spring and also made a couple more roof supports out of PVC pipe so, I think we should be toasty this season! Can't wait to try it out cooking and for the heat! ;D

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Only 2 things I didn't like about the Buddies, bulky and stuck to only 3 pre set settings., lows to cool sometimes yet med is to warm..... I went back to my old faithful 20 something year old sunflower with infinate heat adjustment...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.